Cavallino Classic - New Owner | FerrariChat

Cavallino Classic - New Owner

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by Rossocorsa1, Dec 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    First, to be clear, I am a massive fan of the show, and I have eagerly supported it for years. Having said that, it needs to broaden its appeal to both younger fans and more, newer generation Ferrari’s. I love the great cars from the 50’s and 60’s, and this should remain one of the central themes of the show. In fact, I believe it can grow in significance with more cars in those esteemed classes. But, I also believe Cavallino should be known as the one show where literally dozens, and only the finest, in the super car class can be seen. While last January had a fairly strong stable of 288 GTO’s and F40’s, there were no Enzo’s, no La Ferrari’s/Aperta’s and only one F50 oddly it was an honored class). These numbers are not unusual for super cars at Cavallino. There should be many each year. Also, other more modern cars from the 70’s, 80’s’ 90’s and 2000’s should have much stronger showing. While many older fans may not care for modern cars, the simple reality is that many younger Ferrari fans have little interest in the older classes. They live the cars from their era. I don’t think anything has to be short changed. It’s a celebration of the entire Ferrari brand, and a show like Cavallino should be the type to have to turn away applicants because only the very best of the best in EVERY class is represented on that lawn. While I’m sure it’s easier said than done to get exhibitors to bring their cars, there are plenty of superb examples that could, and I’m confident, would show if more attention was put towards that goal.

4. Wi11am

Wi11am Karting

Oct 6, 2019
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    William Morton
    Being younger myself I prefer classic Ferrari's more than modern ones and a lot of people I know do too or are starting to come around to them more. I think having more of the supercars would bring younger enthusiasts to the show and then they would be able to learn the history and importance of older Ferrari's better. Unfortiatntly, I am unable to attend Cav next year but looking forward to Amelia with the 275 class!

Sam White likes this.
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I understand what you are saying, but Cavallino has always had a strong undercurrent of professionals who restore the old cars. In many ways, Cavallino was a trade show similar to Pebble Beach, but just for Ferraris. The focus was on the owners and their professionals instead of the public at large.

of2worlds and TTR like this.
  6. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    One thing you must understand is that the space available for Cavallino is limited by the Breakers, which limits the number and classes of cars. A lot of Modern Ferraris are displayed at any major metro area Cars & Coffee, vintage Ferraris are not.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I think the big fear is the event will be moved. Won't be the same.

LARRYH likes this.
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    While modern cars can be seen more readily at numerous local shows, there is nothing commonplace about seeing any of the super cars, let alone a considerable gathering of them. It should be a significant part of Cavallino. They are Ferrari flagships. Also, I would love if space becomes a limiting factor at Cavallino. Unfortunately, in the last many years, space hasn’t been an issue. If anything, the number of cars displayed has clearly declined. I’m sure this will not be the case going forward, as I’m guessing the new ownership will make exhibition of the finest examples in all classes a top priority.

Sam White and LARRYH like this.
  9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    This would be a major shame. I would be surprised, given that Cavallino is synonymous with the Breakers. I agree, it would be horrible if they moved it.

10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I agree while The Breakers would certainly survive without Cavallino .. I am not sure there could be a more perfect place for a classic Ferrari event in the month of January than The Breakers in Palm Beach ... IT is a beautiful setting with generally fantastic weather and of course we have the track not far away .. . For anyone that has not been there it is a great event at a spectacular location ...kinda nice for us East coast guys...

Graz, Texas Forever and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Larry - good to see you on here. Let's catch-up on a call soon, my friend. Merry Christmas.

LARRYH likes this.
  12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Thanks same to you .. I will probably at cavilino this year ..if you are there

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I actually just decided to hold back this year. I've been showing cars at Cavallino for the past 3 years so I decided this was the best year to take break. I may still decide at the last minute to go down and attend without bringing a car.

LARRYH likes this.
  14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    understand completely I have some other business down there during the same time frame so I will spend Saturday at the show and maybe go by the track if I have time... I will not have a Ferrari with me.....

15. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    Perhaps another description is exclusivity and expensive. I attended in 1993 as a 26-year-old spectator and had a great time. As a 360 owner, I wonder if I would be accepted without a V-12 carburated car. It's not entirely a lack of interest, it's also that the older cars are unattainable for fans of the brand.

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #16 TTR, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    ... and most such shows, including Villa d’Este, et al have always been.
    Spectators are invited to fill space and provide funding beyond corporate sponsorships.

Admittedly, I’ve never attended (or exhibited at) Cavallino or V’dE and only been to A.I. once (transported & exhibited a car for a client before delivering it to NC after a 5+ year “complete” restoration), but as a 40+ year and pretty much full-time vintage car enthusiast (w/30+ year “professional” restoration career), I personally don’t find attendance of these types of events as a spectator worth the cost & effort they require, especially if there’s no other reasons to make the trip.

For me, Monterey Car Week (& half ?) is close enough for a leisurely, scenic to/from drives,events in themselves if done with a cool (vintage) car and offers enough related, yet varied activities/events to more than fulfill ones schedule for days on end.
    OTOH, as I’ve mentioned (more than once) before, the ALL associated costs with Monterey events, coupled with diminishing quality of most of the events, continues to make it less & less inviting prospect every year.
    I just hope this pandemic, coupled with 2-3 preceding lackluster years of attendance, based on observations of smaller crowds and plenty of “Vacancy” signs have/will lead to considerable improvements, but won’t hold my breath.

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Based on conversations with owners, (I don't have a car worthy of getting on the lawn anywhere except when the brakes failed in my Jensen Healey and I ended up in the neighbor's yard), they go through a cycle of actively participating for years, but it later loses its appeal. Not only does it cost a lot of money to get a car ready for a show, after a few cycles you have seen most of the cars and met most of the owners. Who knows, maybe we'll see an uptick in 40-something and 50-something owners who will add new blood.

Edit: My biggest enjoyment in Monterey is car watching in the wild and at Laguna Seca. Pebble Beach is overwhelming. With so many amazing cars in fantastic shape, you wonder how the judges pick one as the best.

TTR likes this.
  18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    If you’re a Vintage and Classic Ferrari enthusiast, I highly encourage you to attend Cavallino. There is no other consistent and annual event in the world that gathers the best of the best. I’ve attended and shown my cars for many years and the variety year to year, particularly the great cars from the 50’s and 60’s, is unlike anything you’ll find elsewhere.

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Yes, having been actively involved with this hobby for several decades and attending Monterey (& other West Coast) events since early ‘90s, I’ve witnessed more than few of these “cycles”.

Spotting cool cars “in the wild” during Monterey Car Week used to be one of my favorite activities, but since my focus or interest is just on 40-50+ year old vehicles and usually drive or get driven in one, last 10 or so years have proven such encounters almost nonexistent. :(

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Based on recent eyewitness (including yours, IIRC) reports from past few years, the attendance/exhibition in some highly anticipated classes has been less than expected.

And yes, perhaps someday I’ll make the effort, but with my (limited) budget for things to enjoy annually, attending Cavallino is nowhere near the top of the list.

Besides, many, if not most of the cars at Cavallino can be seen or have been shown at various Monterey events and after 4+ decades in this hobby, just looking at cars in static display don’t do much for me.

21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    The cars I referenced in my last post are unsurpassed in variety and number at Cavallino. My earlier posts were referring more to later classes. The show has suffered a bit in recent years, but it is still spectacular. I’m also confident the new owners will take it all to the next level. But, if that isn’t your thing, than it isn’t for you.

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

If you are involved in this end of the business any of the shows you mention are a gathering off all your friends and aquaintences in the business. They are an annual reunion of everyone important in the business of old Ferraris and the main attraction in many cases are the various private parties and dinner gatherings of those people. It is the only time we see each other together. As for lackluster attendence it depends on the event you speak of. Some are anything but lackluster.

23. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Of course you would "accepted". It's a celebration of Ferrari, so why wouldn't you be? I have two Platino winning cars at Cavallino, but neither is a multi-million dollar car from the 50's or 60's. Still, that doesn't mean I ever felt looked down in the least. Also, so what if you can't ever afford those cars? That doesn't mean you can't enjoy them at the show. That's the point.

Ira Schwartz likes this.
  24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have always wondered why that is said. There have been years with as many 8 cylinder cars in attendance as 12's and a good number of the special awards are specifically for the 8 cylinder cars.

Does that sound like 8 cylinder cars are not welcome?

25. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    The "static display" on Saturday is but a small part of the Cavallino Classic. I've never understood why so many people emphasize the concorso at the expense of the track activities, tour, etc., etc.