FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX 2020: FINAL RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | Page 7 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX 2020: FINAL RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Dec 13, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Not quite. For retaliation and effectively losing the race for losing his cool.

Intentionally running your car into the guy in front of you is just stupid and unprofessional. I think Vettel has had issues for some time.

ingegnere, DF1 and ktu like this.
  2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    :D:p:D:p

3. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    It's all good my friend... :) Playful banter with the Ferrarichat bretheren :) Sometimes we do not get the context because we cannot get the inflection of the words on the screen ;)

tifosi12 and Terra like this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Glaringly they came out for all to see that year. Baku and Mexico his emotional loss of control in 2 distinct situations. Now new car, limit of testing and a political situation internally with an owner's son next in other garage. He has taken a large step down into the mid field unless the next clone is better. He is expected to help the team with maturity, strategy. Yes possible but he makes very poor decisions based on his emotional impatience. Good luck Seb. If you are slower than Stroll........................

ingegnere likes this.
  6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Despite the enjoyable end result, it was a tremendously boring race. This venue really needs some work to it to make it exciting.

Congrats to Max for a flawless race. A shame Ric stole fastest lap away at the very end!

Congrats to Mclaren for securing 3rd in the WCC. Well deserved after years of pain!

Mercedes...What a team of sore losers you are! Won everything under the sun now looking for excuses and sympathy for having a bad race (still 2nd and 3rd!!!), and trying to take away the result from Max and Red Bull by saying your car was wonky and down on power.

Special shout out to Lewis who was back at his very moaning best. Before the race he said he feels 100%, but straight after he actually felt quite corona-y and ''felt lucky to be alive''. Erm...if your corona was that bad shouldn't you've gone to a hospital or something? This guy milks everything. He should write a book about his corona experience. Oh wait. He actually is! Moaning about the tyres, moaning about the car being out of balance (convenient!)...and of course moan about the strategy. Aren't we told he always does the strategies? Why didn't he get on the radio straight away and demand the tyres he wants? Always with the excuse at the ready...if he loses, that was the reason. If he wins, he won despite the ''issues''. He can't lose that way and his idiotic fanboys eat it up.

fil, 88porsche944, Giallo 550 and 4 others like this.
  7. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    What a sensational podium for LH. Not 100% healthy, driving a car that had the set up not to his liking and down on power. He proved what a true champion he is.

Terra likes this.
  8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Picchu88, fil, AtSomePoint and 4 others like this.
  9. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Yep. Glad this season is over.

In my twenty-two years of watching Formula 1, I've only missed three races.

Two of those were this year.

:(

Sharknose likes this.
  10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has confirmed their engines are using less power at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix due to reliability concerns.

In the 16 races prior to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, every pole position was powered by a Mercedes engine. Lewis Hamilton added another 11 poles to his mighty record, Valtteri Bottas picked up four P1 starting positions and even Racing Point’s Lance Stroll got in on the act with a shock pole in wet conditions at the Turkish Grand Prix.

But that particular streak came to an end in qualifying at the Yas Marina circuit as Red Bull’s Max Verstappen came out on top in a thrilling Q3 session, pipping Bottas to pole by just 0.025s with Hamilton only 0.086s away from P1 himself.

After the session, Wolff confirmed that Mercedes have had to turn the wick down on their engines slightly due to concerns over the MGU-K element of the engine.

11. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
  12. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Incredibly boring race! This shows what the 'normal' races were before covid-season, please somebody scrap the track off the calendar.

Ferrari's performance was painful to watch. One of the most embarrassing races to date. They were nothing more than driving obstacles. Shameful. They finished second to last in the WCC. Haas, Williams and Alfa Romeo don't score points, so they don't count in the standing.

Mercedes' technical director stated that the down-turned engine setting does not explain the gap to RB. Yes, they did turn it down, but no, it was not (only) because of that RB won. So the statement that Mercedes are sore losers because of that is just hater wishful thinking :) But yeah, I get it, this is not MercedesChat, whatever fits the narrative

ktu likes this.
  13. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    This season was as exciting as watching Kimi watching paint dry. Only two highlights were the Gasly and Perez wins. Other than that, a giant can of fermented farts.

Bas likes this.
  14. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    The Hamilton choirboys got company!
    Are you serious?

Picchu88 and Jakuzzi like this.
  15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Funny you should say that, as post race press conference, Lewis and Bottas didn't have a clue that that Mercedes had it's engine turned down...which begs the question: Was Toto lying? Or are Lewis and Bottas idiots that don't actually know what goes on in their car?

https://www.sportvideos.tv/video-lewis-hamiltons-surprised-reaction-in-press-conference-after-race/?fbclid=IwAR2i6z2d78Z53T0nf_t4CgP8wLY-shB11VBf1sUH_FdgcL-I6zKJvgR4rzo

16. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Well Hamilton proved that in 2007! lol but yeah they guy is one of the best to ever do it. Even with having competition.

17. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Do not respond to a troll mate..

Hamilton is main topic of converstion in the F1 Aussie section, I say conversation, however it's more like purile school boy giggling ;)

18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    pretty sure Toto did it on purpose for a number of reasons including not let team get too complacent but also shows how easily he could do that to just one of the drivers without him knowing...

simpen likes this.
  19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    So 2002 to 2004 were bad seasons as well? Or the McLaren years in the late eighties/early nineties?

Do I care?
    Only from a perspective of not having been able to attend a race myself. But as a TV viewer it makes little difference.

Surprisingly little. Two Austria and two Silverstone, that's about it. Bahrain had a very different layout the second time around. Given all the crap that was going on in the world that's a small price to pay. To me the 2nd Silverstone was a bore. Tant pis.

I thought that was actually a plus. You never knew who'd be next and what kind of monkey wrench that could be. I liked that element of surprise, especially when it took Lewis out. Not that I mean harm to him but to have him sit out a GP was a plus in my book.

First off I didn't think it was BS. Second I loved the fact that we have a new team scoring podiums. Mixes things up. And if you would make a team cheating scandal the measure of all things, half the F1 history could be thrown out. And this wasn't even close to a Stepneygate scandal. Or what Benetton did in 94 etc.

Shocker! That never happened. C'mon, business as usual.

I really loved the season for the many unknowns, for the new tracks (Portimao, Mugello), for the new old tracks (Imola, Turkey), for the highly competitive midfield racing, for the drama around RP, Covid (Perez, Stroll, Lewis), for the new and old faces getting another chance (Hulk, Fittipaldi, Russell, Clay Aiken), for the back to back races. Season highlight for me was Lance's pole. Season lowpoint was Jean's fire accident. The new winners Gasly and Perez was another plus as were Lewis shattering the old MS records.

thirteendog likes this.
  21. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ Given what the future looked like in Mar/Apr, and combined with the above, it was a good season for F1 fans.

tifosi12, DF1 and ktu like this.
  22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks, yes indeed. Liberty organized the impossible and the teams had the tough deal of being in it nonstop for six months. Hard work by everybody, yet so necessary to get the TV $ and avert the collapse of several teams. Just look at the turn around situation of McLaren! I'm not a fan of them, but happy they came back strong. Good for them.

23. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yes, I do.

I remember championships being decided by overtaking in the last round.
    Abu Dhabi is where championships get decided when a fast car is held up by a slow car.

It should be moved in the calendar or ideally, scrapped.

375+, jgonzalesm6, 05011994 and 3 others like this.
  24. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That is the only post needed in this entire thread....

Happy off season!
    Kevin

Sent from my SM-G930P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    7 pages. I guess this pretty much highlights the state of F1. The most intriguing thing all season is that Russell proved Lewis may not actually be the goat... just a really great driver in the best car who has a teammate that’s fairly average.

Next year will be wash, rinse, repeat bit at least some seat changes will be interesting to watch. Does Seb rebound... does Norris make Ric regret the move... Does Sergio steal podiums from Mac at RB? That’ll be the only interesting story lines.

Until the new cars come out and really... the new engine formula... it’ll all be lackluster and predictable like it has been.

I’m hoping for something brave in 2025.... something like super high performance 2 strokes like Pat Symonds has been talking about. Now that would be something.

Bas and 375+ like this.