FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX 2020: FINAL RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | Page 6 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX 2020: FINAL RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Dec 13, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  2. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    RIC didn’t pit either so staying on hards for track position was ok plan. Pitting LEC early, putting him to the back just to run the rest of the race on one set of tires would have left him exposed. And for what, a 11th place. They had no pace.

Let’s see what happens next year. Sainz will be a good addition to the team as will a decent engine.

3. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
  4. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    You DO UNDERSTAND that @tisofi12 is [playfully, I hope] trolling :) ...... We have to take the good with the bad here in FerrariChat ;)

jpalmito and crinoid like this.
  5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Alberto Antonini former Scuderia member and journalist at formulapassion wrote tonight that the next PU will be an improvement for sure but not the huge step we are all waiting for ..

6. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    100% correct assessment. And remember that MB has been working on 2022 wayyyyyyyy before 2020; so please do not be surprised when MB keeps crushing the competition when the "new dawn" arrives in 2022. :(

jpalmito likes this.
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

8. DF1

"You can see that everybody has weaknesses, and we weren't on our A game this weekend," Wolff said.

"That's simply a fact. Red Bull won fair and square. You can see that Albon also had a very good race, so they have a very good race car, and shows that when their car is in the right place, both drivers do a really good job.

"Probably Albon's pace was quicker than us by the end. They could have been well ahead, and even worse for us.

"We're leaving this race with a slap on the wrist. It wasn't a great weekend for us. It was a car that has never let us down all year, maybe apart from this last weekend."

Wolff explained that both Bottas and Hamilton were forced to manage their tyres after the safety car forced an early switch to the hard compound tyre that Mercedes was uncertain would make it to the end.

"Him and Lewis were looking after the tyres a lot, because it was not clear the hard would last until the end, and there was more pace in both of them,"Wolff said.

"You can see at the end, we saw through sector one, that our car wasn't simply turning around five and six, and the last sector wasn't great.

"We just simply had an understeery car all day today. We had a car that is good on Friday, but not good on Saturday. We tried both directions, weakened the rear, none of that helped.

"I think somehow we didn't get it right."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/154178/abu-dhabi-defeat-slap-on-the-wrist--mercedes

9. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Toto trying too hard !;):D

Bas and ingegnere like this.
  10. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    Would have been a more interesting race had Mercedes not turned their engines down. Them doing so also ruined Strolls chances unfortunately. On this day, Red Bull had the superior car.

And I would not be surprised at all if Hamiltons performance suffered from his Covid infection. It just seems odd that he didn't beat Bottas but then again Bottas needed this result to finish 2nd in the standings, didn't he?

375+ likes this.
  11. DF1

Tire management is not all racing should be lol. I think F1 does too much of it and not enough racing. Maybe the next series of Pirelli tires will allow more racing and less 'management'! :)

crinoid likes this.
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    DF1 likes this.
  13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Huh? You lost me on that one. That was a serious post by me, no tongue in cheek or anything. I do believe this was an awesome F1 season. I loved all the new/old tracks and there was some real good racing with some good scraping. I wasn't trying to stoke any fire, I really meant that. And Liberty did pull that off despite all the nay sayers on here as in the press (Ecclestone, Benoit, Wiesinger etc).

william and Jakuzzi like this.
  14. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I think he was Autosprint editor, no? In any case we know by now to never believe (most of) anything that comes from Italian press and certainly these fringe websites competing for clicks.

Personally, I think Ferrari will have a decent engine next year, also better integrated into the car because I expect they will re-distribute the engine externals and accessories, which they didn’t have time to do after the technical directive issued last year. This should get them more in line with others with more compact side pods (at the cost of fatter section behind roll structure) and so help reduce the drag penalty they’ve been carrying this year.

They’ve already shown with their aero upgrades that they identified some issues, targeted and corrected them, so there’s some hope that they can at least fight at the front next year, if not outright fight for wins every race.

jpalmito likes this.
  15. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    DF1 likes this.
  16. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Honestly I hope you are right.

17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
  18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    A low point----

ingegnere likes this.
  19. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Hamilton has to throw his wingman a bone once in a while. Especially after last week.

ricksb and tifosi12 like this.
  20. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Wine with a screw top, wine in a box is still better than no wine. At least it didn't turn into vinegar.

21. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah for Hamilton playing dangerous games brake checking Seb on a blind corner.

Giallo 550 likes this.
  22. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Agreed. He may not have braked himself, but he sure as hell let the engine wind down and do it for him.

mcimino likes this.
  23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  24. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    This season was ****. Full stop. Both championships decided before the first race, empty grandstands, repeated tracks, drivers missing races because of COVID, the BS with Racing Point, Pirelli tyres failing as usual... You can't say that this season was good.

Having said that, Liberty managed to put a championship together, there were some crazy races and the mid pack was tight. It was a bad season, but it was the best season possible given the circumstances.

The big problem now is that, as the new regulations were delayed, 2021 will be a "transitional" season, with frozen cars, similar results and that no team will care about as they'll have their hands full with the new cars.

375+, jpalmito, Giallo 550 and 2 others like this.