Used Pista or new F8 | FerrariChat

Used Pista or new F8

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Chasing Ferrari, Dec 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Used Pista or New F8 if the price is the same

1. Pista

83.8%
  2. F8

16.2%
  1. Chasing Ferrari

Dec 18, 2016
    Please share if its your own choice and if you were me:
    1. Approximately same price
    2. She will be my first F car
    3. Resale value is a factor
    4. Performance over luxury but cannot live with a lotus
    5. She will be a half daily car, means if weather is good, it will be the choice
    6. Few track days a year
    Car History: So many P cars and last exotic is a Huracan

Thanks everyone

2. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Me spending my money: Pista, all day every day
    Me spending your money: Pista, and twice on Sunday
    It’s the best fit for your mission, IMO
    Post pics once you buy

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This point has been beaten to death but your #1, in some respects they’re practically the same car but they way the car interacts with you is a lot different.

Pista is what you want.

4. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Pista of course

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If same price Pista. For 150k difference/ f8.

x z8, Ash Patel and LVP488 like this.
  6. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    So out of curiosity where is a used Pista the same price of an F8? Unless you are considering a highly optioned F8 and a bare bones Pista? Isn’t there still a 75-100k spread between the two?

7. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Buying new, non-numbered mid engine Ferrari V8’s are NOT a wise investment. Same thing with their V12’s.

Pista’s are much safer if you’re concerned with resale. An even better bet would be an older, limited-run V8 like a Speciale or even a Scud. These cars have already experienced the majority of their depreciation.

There’s a huge price to pay for getting the latest unlimited production V8. You will burn tens of thousands of dollars the moment you leave the dealership parking lot.

Of course, if you never plan on selling it’s a non issue. I tend to tell myself “I’m never going to sell” and then 5 years passes and I’m ready for something new.

pdxjim488 and GT2goneF like this.
  8. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
  9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    For the same price the Pista wins hands down IMHO - its appeal exceeds the satisfaction to spec your own car that you'd get with an F8.
    Unlike the previous cases (F430 vs CS, 458 vs Scud, 488 vs Speciale) the newer car is not that different so it does not have much to compensate for the lack of "specialness": with these previous cases you got a lot more power and more refined technology when going for the newer car, while with the F8 you have the same engine (with a GPF, which is not a technical advance but a "legal" requirement) and a different presentation... So the relative exclusivity and (even if it's somehow artificial) higher focus of the Pista make it a better proposition (not by very much however, so the decision becomes tricky in case the Pista is significantly more expensive).

10. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    If the 2 cars really are the same price it has to be the Pista!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    i tend to agree but if they are the same price- you us have a bloated build on the F8 and a bare bones Pista. That adds some interesting considerations to the decision but I’d still take the Pista.

GT2goneF likes this.
  12. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    After you see both in person, the Pista wins by a long shot! Maybe a better poll is F-8 or Pista and $75K additional.

GT2goneF likes this.
  13. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    #13 ScrappyB, Dec 13, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    It’ll be interesting to see which model ends up being rarer. Each will have had around a 2 year production run.

Drson, of2worlds, GT2goneF and 2 others like this.
  14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    With production numbers maybe only marginally higher for the F8, in the long term the F8 may become rarer because it will be treated as a regular car while many Pista will be carefully preserved as collectible cars.

x z8 likes this.
  15. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    F8 could end up being in production for quite a while if new V6 is delayed

16. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Good luck with this poll. You have points that point towards both. Daily driver, price F8. Track, performance over luxury- Pista. Resale value, likely Pista. With that said... Only way you will get same price range would be if you have a LOADED F8 (like I did). I have never seen a bare/plain Pista. With this last point in mind, you will likely end up with an F8. In my opinion (full disclosure I have nothing against the Pista, I have not owned one nor driven one), I think it is be a better DD, less aggressive and more civilized appearance, better lines, (I prefer the front of the Pista but the rest I like the F8 better), better interiors and still has way above average performance. From what I am seeing, the Most F8s are being optioned into the 350s up to 380's. That is an 80-100k dollars spread from Pista. The minority is doing 380 or above.

360superveloce likes this.
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My Pista was 439k and I have ever exterior carbon option. Anything else was to me frivolous. If I was speccind an F8, I’d be in the 325k range max. Lots of options you can get but as ive bought More cars, I’ve become more discerning as to how much I want to flush down the toilet with the options.

18. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Approximately same price? Pista

19. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    No question, the Pista. It's more special.

20. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I completely understand your point. You have also validated mine. Most Pistas are in the 430-450 range. Have seen them go up to 480. Your Pista has a 110-120 delta to your own spec F8. However, I went the other way. Since I am planning to keep my F8 as I am by no means, getting any V6 Turbo electric expensive Ferrari toaster. I went with triple layer color option and two tone, that alone ran me up 45 k or so. Rest was interior details as I do not like silver interiors. Outside, very little options. 400k.

Realistically speaking, there are no same price F8 : Pista.

SoCal to az likes this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #21 Shadowfax, Dec 13, 2020
    Seems like a pointless question/poll.

Unless of course the Pista is painted in pink with no stripe, zero options, and the F8 is RC fully loaded there is nothing to consider.

Is there any info/detail on the specific 2 cars being offered?

If not, and its a matter of answering in point form then out of op’s 6 points i would say 3,4,5,6 have relevance - but all lean heavily toward Pista. So in that sense the correct answer is self explanatory.

IloveGT likes this.
  22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I love the F8. Can’t wait to see yours.

360superveloce and GT2goneF like this.
  23. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Very kind of you! That makes two of us!!!

24. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    The F8 Spider I demo’d today had a sticker just north of $360. Other than some CF and race seats, it didn’t strike me as a loaded car. So probably equivalent to a $330 coupe. And I’d be fine with what I drove.....

I thought the bottom front of the F8 was a little over the top, but the dual lights and rear spoiler looked great, IMO.

GT2goneF likes this.
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #25 Shadowfax, Dec 13, 2020
    But in that sense, a cost saving is then being given priority over one's specific requirements and expectations, defeating the very purpose of even buying the Ferrari he says he's looking for.

Keep in mind his last car was a Huracan so the sound issue would also be a key element too. He may well be just better off buying a Speciale and calling it a day.

An F8 certainly isn't going to deliver the suite he says he wants, so Pista is his best chance of satisfying his requirements out of todays mid mount line up. And if he hasn't the money for it then he'd be better off pursuing a 458 or Speciale and sparing himself the disappointment and cost. Even the Pista is going to need an exhaust or valve controller to correct the sound to an acceptable position more in line with what he is used to. Because without a valve controller the Pista sound is very disappointing at low speeds and light throttle driving, and I mean very.

Napoli likes this.