I purchased BAT 1987 TR. Would like some advice from the group | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I purchased BAT 1987 TR. Would like some advice from the group

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 2008F430, Dec 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    congrats enjoy in good health

2. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Looks like a nice car...congrat's, I had a '91 TR, Loved it!

3. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Haha, totally agree. Be careful as to who you get advice from too. Steve M is a great guy and flat out brilliant with the Boxer car but a lot of first time owners that know very little sometimes will be the first to give you advice with limited knowledge. You will sort through those hopefully. I think everyone here is really trying to help when they can. A lot of nice guys here. Don't let the differential scare shake you too much. Some have failed but in the big picture if you drive the car spirited and know how to not shock the driveline it will last longer than you. I have had 4 and not one failure. One of them was a 750hp twin turbo. All stock differentials! Enjoy

4. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    To add to this discussion, I was at my mechanic’s shop today. He had a customer’s F355 there getting a belt service in preparation for sale. The car’s owner told him not to degree the cams to save money....

Have the belt service done at your mechanic so that you know exactly what was needed vs what was actually done. You can monitor to see where corners are being cut etc.

5. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004

6. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I agree that one way or the other you will spend the money. Either up front or down the road as you restore the car. I like what you did with yours. I am a supporter of anyone who buys a 512tr and restores the car back to excellent condition. That helps keep all of the cars out there on the road and or in good condition. I agree with you that it is also enjoyable to participate along the way in the process and or be more involved with the car. It definitely brings another dimension of ownership that some may want to experience. Also watching the change in the condition of the car is very rewarding. When you start with a car that needs very little you take a lot of the cars condition for granted. It’s almost like inheriting a bunch of money without actually earning it. You don’t have any real appreciation for the money. It kinda feels like that. But if you work for it or do it yourself you have more of appreciation for everything that had to go into it. That’s what I missed out on. If I had found another car that I was in love with then I would have enjoyed restoring a 512.

EZORED likes this.
  7. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    Update on my purchase. After a lot of thought, I decided to have the engine out service done out of town instead of bringing it home first. The main reason for my decision was due to my conversation with Al at GT Motorsports. He seems to have a wealth of knowledge about all ferraris and this one in particular. He preformed the last engine out service in 2015. I am getting daily pictures of the progress and that helps ease my mind. I have also decided to add a capristo exhaust while he has the car. So far, so good. Thanks for all the good advice. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Good call on the exhaust, I had a tubi with gutted cats on my 88 1/2 tr and loved it. The stock exhaust is pretty lame!

I would ask Al to have some one preasure/steam wash the engine compart and the suspension while the motor is out.

9. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    Beautiful! Where in FL are you located? Would be great to meet each other at a car meet one day!

10. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    Already on it. I want to be proud when I open the hood.

11. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    St Augustine

12. MITengineer

MITengineer Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    Personally - I think thats the way to go. Having bought a few exotics sight unseen now I think its best to "get everything perfect" before you see the car. It just changes your perception of the car in many ways.

13. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Al put a Capristo on my TR. Sounded amazing !!

14. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    Lose the cats and precats or the capristo is wasted.

15. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
  16. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I have high flow cats and precats because I still have to meet emissions. The Capistro on mine is a bit too loud at times, cant imagine it without cats.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

17. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Maybe it was the same seller I bought mine from, he had a red one as well.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

18. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
  19. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    axarunner and blkdiablo33 like this.
  20. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Anyone familiar with Milestone Motors in Boyton Beach, Fl? Just wondered what one thought of their work on 512 cars.
    Any info appreciated.
    Thanks,
    John

21. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Gorgeous Capistro exhaust! If possible, like to hear and see a video of the finished work.
    I had a 1997 Testarossa many years ago... the Tubi aftermarket exhaust definitely helped the sound system!

22. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    I plan on doing a video as soon as I get it. The shop is almost finished and then it has to ship.

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    1997? the TR serie only has been produced until 1996

24. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Plenty online. Just go on YouTube ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk