White 355B manual, so sad | Page 2 | FerrariChat

White 355B manual, so sad

Discussion in '348/355' started by bjwhite, Oct 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    car was hit very deep in the front and I wouldn't think there are a lot of front clips at the salvage yards. in addition, for proper repair, it looks like it needs a right rear quarter.

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Do you have a clean engine lid by any chance? Black?

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Right, Ken. Challenge cars took a beating when they raced...

They were repaired in time for the next race.

My car was once on its roof after it spun out and rolled onto the infield grass on the Downhill Turn at Lime Rock Park in 1996. A few weeks later it raced again. :)

A348W likes this.
  4. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    OCKlasse likes this.
  5. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    not in black only a red one

6. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    I have a GTS project in pearl white metallic...somewhere on the forum I have posted some pics of it , few years ago.
    Unfortunately looks just as damaged as this auctioned car...
    Front panel is no longer available new, so restoring it will be a Challenge (no pun intended)

7. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
  8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Flipping totaled cars is a thing it seems. Who knew.

9. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That’s what happens when u bid with your eyes closed, appereantly there were two of them to run up the bids to 27k. Then u pay 1k for shipping then you realize the floor is bent and then u realize u will need a front clip and u didn’t just need a headlight. So, let’s put in on a frame machine straighten it a bit and dump it on another uneducated buyer. FYI NY and load Angeles two of the worst locations to buy salvaged vehicles
    Very sad

10. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Looks like the first buyer did the Capital Auto trick and straighten the hood and front clip Before relisting it so it doesn’t look as bad

11. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I've occasionally been tempted to buy a totaled car, thinking, "that dont look so bad, just needs a bumper, and etc" One example was this '18 tahoe in Miami at a dealer. It was sitting on all 4 wheels, hood was perfect, missing a fender, headlight and bumper. Would be so easy right? Well i google the vin and after a little digging found actual pictures, the front end looked like it go hit with a train, suspension ripped off, hood crumpled. turns out the dealer buys destroyed ones, simply makes them look "not so bad" , and sells them for double.
    be careful

phrogs likes this.
  12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    As you said, it really just depends. There's nothing wrong with rebuilding a totaled car, but you must go in eyes open. Earlier this year I almost bought an 07 Quattroporte Sport GT DuoSelect. It was salvage but already repaired. I didn't mind and the repair looked good. I did view the IAAI auction pictures too and it wasn't bad at all. I also chose to fix my old 98 540i 6-speed after a 120 ft tall douglas fir tree fell across the hood. It was totaled but I bought it back and fixed it. It was fantastic even after that damage--it was fixed right and I drove it for another 5-6 years and 60k miles or something like that.