Racing Simulator is Completed! | FerrariChat

Racing Simulator is Completed!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by russellmcg, Dec 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    The racing simulator is finally finished!

For the nerds out there who are interested, it is power by MSI Aegis RS 10TH-061US with a GeForce RTX 3090. I have the Oculus Quest 2 for the VR part. It also has a buttkicker mounted under the seat that vibrates as you hit road bumps.

It allows me to play Assetto Corsa Competizione in epic, which is just mind-blowing to play! Assetto Corsa also lets you take pictures during the game, which is a blast since I love taking photos.

Here is a picture of the setup and some photos from the game. Not as good as some folks out there, but good enough for me for now.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bas, Level7, WJHMH and 3 others like this.
  2. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Very Cool
    when you use the VR headset, does that mean you don’t need any external monitors? Or can it only be used for certain elements of the experience?

I would be curious to see if I could set one up with just VR as I don’t have a lot of space. There was a big 3-screen etc rig for sale on bring a trailer couple of weeks ago on the big island, but the footprint for set up was far more than I have available.

3. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Yeah, I think you could get away without having a monitor for it. I tend to start the game on my PC and put my headset on when it starts. You can run a virtual desktop on this VR headset, so I think it could be done.

C50 likes this.
  4. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Can you share details about the seat and the parts you attach the seat to?

I'm also thinking about building a new setup from scratch

5. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    For sure. Here is a full breakdown of my build.

Computer - https://www.newegg.com/msi-aegis-rs-10th-061us/p/N82E16883152676?Item=N82E16883152676
    I needed a new gaming PC and something that could push VR at high levels. This might be a bit overkill, but I hate not getting the best.

Gear Shifter (Sending it Back) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z0UWV3O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Will explain why in a sec.

Racing Seat - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDVE4ZQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    There are a TON of them out there, and if I had to do it again, I don't know if I would go with this one.
    https://www.trakracer.com/ These look pretty nice.

Monitor - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0821WWXV6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Only wanted a single one since I am doing VR.

Oculus Quest 2 - https://www.oculus.com/quest-2/

Wheel - https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/driving/driving-force-racing-wheel.html
    I ended up ordering a newer one and am sending this back.

New Wheel - https://fanatec.com/us-en/bundles/csl-elite-formula-set-for-xbox
    This has WAY more force feedback vs. the G29. The G29 is a great one; I just like to go overboard, so it's why I upgraded.

All in, you can get a set up for not much, really. Just a wheel mounted to your office desk. You can also go over the top and get a crazy expensive one. I like to think mine is somewhere in the middle of the road.

The games I am playing are Assetto Corsa has a billion MODS for it, and every car you could think of, you can download for free.
    Assetto Corsa Competizione GT3 style racing and no mods, but graphics are insane! This is a video of it.

Let me know if you have any questions or anything. Just be aware; it is addicting! I am now spending so much free time looking for different cars and tracks to download. https://assettoland.wixsite.com/assettoland/cars is where I download most of mine from. You can see all they have.

drcollie and absostone like this.
  6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  7. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Ah. So with the new wheel I bought it only has two peddles. That’s fine though since I like driving with paddle shifters. The new wheel is 1000 times better just no clutch.

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I see , But I would think it works without the clutch pedal?

9. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    It might. I actually should look into it.

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You totally geeked out didn't ya, McG?!?
    That should keep out of the wife's hair.
    Don't forget, you have a real Ferrari to drive! :D
    T
    p.s. Enjoy your cool new toy.

absostone likes this.
  11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Well I was in the process of getting a Thrustmaster th8a shifter for my sons XBOX at 178 bux, but was told by Thrustmaster I needed the 3 Pedal set up in place of the 2 pedal setup that the Thrustmaster TMX that he has at another 200 bux , So $400 . Wth I could get the Logitech G927? for for $250 and the $60shifter you have for $310 t0tal. Anyways Will VR work with xbox for Assetto Corsa?

12. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Haha. The bad thing is that we have a three story house and my office is on the third. Right below is the master bedroom. At night the wife can hear it and gets on me for playing. I need to find a good way to dampen the sound.

13. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Yeah. I would go that route. Not sure about VR on the Xbox. I don't know how you would hook it up.

absostone likes this.
  14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I see a house with a basement in your future!
    Enjoy your new system. Looks pretty cool...T

russellmcg likes this.
  15. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Really cool!

How do you like to new RTX3090?

audio is a big part of the experience, are you using headphones/earbuds or do you have speakers/subwoofer that are out of the picture?

russellmcg likes this.
  16. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Yaaass that chair looks fantastic and very affordable!

I'm working on my own setup, but it might take a few years since I'm just saving a buck at a time for it lmao

Love your setup!

russellmcg likes this.
  17. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Rtx3090 has blown me away! Absolutely handles everything I throw at it.

I have a really good set of headphones that I use when I play. Also have a sound bar coming in this week for when people are over and play it.

ChipG likes this.
  18. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Even as an AMD fan, I'm not sure if I'll ever leave nvidia GPUs tbh

russellmcg likes this.
  19. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Bas, TexasF355F1, tomc and 1 other person like this.
  20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Congrats Russell.....just for information, about what did you pay for your setup? Thanks

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    McG...we need videos of you in action uploaded! Is there any program that let's you drive a Ferrari XX car?!? That'd be my virtual dream car!
    T

22. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    There is! Give me a bit and I will record one in it. The program I use is called Assetto Corsa and there are unlimited mods that let you drive just about any car in the world. It’s crazy.

tomc and absostone like this.
  23. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Here you go. Quality is not that good since I need to find a better way to output it from my headset. I was playing around trying to show some of the physics of the car. Also, not sure why there is no sound. I will try to get a better video of it.

tomc likes this.
  24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Got squirrely in the corners there!

So, how real does it feel to be using the VR?

Very cool. Thanks for posting that.
    Enjoy your new system.

T

25. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Yeah, I turned off traction control, and the course was still wet. It's pretty realistic. They have the physics set for cars, and people spend a ton of time modnig them to get it right. They even have a California on here that feels just like driving a real one. The thing is a blast to play!

It feels so real in VR that when I go in reverse and stop, my stomach keeps going. It's a very surreal feel to it. I also have something under my seat that vibrates so makes it really feel like you are in a car.