Red wine | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Red wine

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by schwoo, Feb 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    tomc likes this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It's lockdown again (although I was out racing for the week-end) so time for another bottle... the dish to mary with it was pretty simple (potatoes / raclette cheese / duck) but appropriate with the relatively cold weather:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jakuzzi and tomc like this.
  3. Lolwut

Lolwut Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2019
    Ignore the broken cork...

Attached Files:

Monopole likes this.
  4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  5. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    It happens, as long as the wine was saved everything is fine!

6. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
  7. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    One of my all time consistent favorites.

8. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    #83 Stephanie, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Caymus is my all time favorite. I always have a couple bottles in my bar.
    I also like Mount Veeder cabernet from Napa a lot.
    For a cheap, delicious wine, I really enjoy McManis petite sirah. It's about $10/bottle and everyone always loves it.

Hyperlinks to Total Wine provided for each.

Attached Files:

surfwolf likes this.
  9. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    I am a Caymus man myself. I have visited the winery and met some of the Wagner's.
    I order a case of regular Cabernet Sauvignon and a case of Special Selection every year/release. You can Never go wrong with Caymus. I had 2 magnums out for Thanksgiving, we only drank one. So now I need a few friends over for the 2nd one this weekend!

Stephanie likes this.
  10. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Both of you have good Napa cabernet tastes....my cellar goes back to a 1980 caymus special selection....one of the few apa cab’s on certain vintages will age 20+ yers!

Stephanie and surfwolf like this.
  11. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    My cellar doesn't go back that far. I do have 3 bottles of 1994 Caymus that are reserved for 3 special occasions:
    1) My retirement (at 60 - very soon!)
    2) My final relocation to Maui, Paia
    3) First major life event of my son (College graduation, Marriage, First house, or a Baby!)

I do have at least a few bottles of every vintage 1995 forward, both regular Cabernet and Special Selection in my cellar.
    Getting my perfectly aged/cellared 300 - 400 bottles of wine to Maui safely might be a challenge, but I am up for the task!

12. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Congrats on the forthcoming move from Or. to Maui...I trust you'll have a quality wine keeper in Maui to preserve the wines...
    Since your in Or. you must have some great pinots too?

13. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    Thanks! I feel like I learned a lot more and began to appreciate better wines when I went to Napa. I go to tastings and classes around town to learn more. My palette is always changing too.

I need to hang onto a couple of bottles and let them age. I drink them as soon as I have a semi-decent reason. Haha.
    I really love Caymus cabernet and I don’t drink it often enough to get tired of it.

I recently tried a little bit of Thread Count by the Wagner family when it was on tap at a local place and thought it was pretty good. I want to get a bottle soon. I think it’s a little more than half the price of Caymus cab.

I have a bottle of Red Schooner by Caymus voyage 8 that I’m taking with me out of town this weekend. It’s another Wagner wine. Haven’t tried it yet, but I’m looking forward to it.

Don’t worry, it’s only upright for photo purposes. :)

tomc, wax and surfwolf like this.
  14. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    Yes, I have a few Ken Wright Pinot's. But if I am honest, I love a good Napa Cabernet waaaay more than a Pinot. The complexity and layers of flavors from the quality Napa producers just cannot be beat.

Stephanie likes this.
  15. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Nice bar, you can make some serious drinks!

Stephanie likes this.
  16. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Stephanie, the world of wine appreciation is what you like at that moment, of course food and wine pairings are obviously as taste preference too...recognize your palate first, a good champagne is always a good palette cleanser ...

Jakuzzi and Stephanie like this.
  17. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    Thank you! I have a pretty full bar and it’s even more packed since this photo of it. Don’t mind the Yellow Tail wine. It was a gift. Lol!

I tried Red Schooner Caymus Voyage 8 last night with friends and it was AMAZING. I think it’s almost as good (if not just as good) as Caymus cabernet. My friends and I all loved it. The view wasn’t bad either.
    We started off with some champs too. :D

tomc and surfwolf like this.
  18. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Great setting, which beach ?

19. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    Thanks! That was taken from a suite with a harbor view at the Westin in Cape Coral. No actual beachy area there, but it's nearby. :)

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Any self-respecting wine amateur knows since this 1976 landmark that modesty is in the order of the day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine)

(By the way, if european wines are overpriced, it is not our fault, nor the wines' fault; mainly the fault of marrkets, which are always asking for more - which is not possible - so have pushed the prices to absurd levels. When I remember the wines I drank in my twenties, without any money in my pocket...I cannot afford these anymore, now approaching retirement and at the peak of my purchasing power. Awful.)

Rgds

21. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    I agree with you, my 1976 BV la tour was $17.50 a bottle, now my Harlan’ s are $900.00 a bottle that’s why I started to invest in , inflation hedges...the same can be same about the price of Ferrari’s...

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    There always has been "some" inflation between the sales of the primeur and maturity of a vintage: there was a very old "rule of the thumb" for buying the first growths (= "premier crus", in French) which is that you buy two crates - either of 6 or 12 bottles - in "primeur" (just before the youngest vintage will be put on the market first); five or six years later, one will be slowly approaching maturity, and you sell the second one, to buy again two crates of the same wine in "primeur", etc...
    That rule doesn't work anymore: the last thirty years, as far as prices go, have been really absurd; it is the new markets, notably in Asia, that have vacumed so many bottles that the price of the small numbers left here have really gone crazy.

Too bad.

Rgds

Steelton Keith likes this.
  23. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    The market is very extreme the pass few years, buy to enjoy and share with friends! Especially people who appreciate, I, e, F Chat people!

24. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    I’m sure, but you’ve been to Bern’s Steak house, great wine list!

Stephanie likes this.
  25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Just ordered a few bottles of Red Schooner since I ran out of La Fortuna and Cadia.

Stephanie likes this.