Windshield Minor Pits | FerrariChat

Windshield Minor Pits

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by michaelo, Dec 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    Any recommendations for getting rid of minor pits in the windshield?
    They are what seems to be the results of very small pebbles thrown up from the road.
    If there is a polish or a way to remove them I would love to know.
    There are a couple of slightly larger rock chips that I don’t expect to be able to do anything about.
    I have checked out some YouTube tutorials but at this point I am a little confused as to which way to go on this.
    Thanks

2. jagged155

jagged155 Karting

Dec 3, 2016
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Dan
    New windshield and put Bray or ClearPlex on it. I’ve dealt with this also.

3. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    I'm not sure where you live but I would highly recommend that you call a company like safelite and have them repaired asap, it's not expensive and it will retain the structural integrity of the windshield, and if they tell you you need a new windshield then just go ahead a do that.

I know this from experience. A year ago I was driving cross country from SC to AZ through the god forsaken place that is the OK panhandle. Started driving in the morning out of Guymon when it started sleeting that tiny type ice that glues itself onto the windshield and no amount of washer fluid will remove. My only solution, other that driving in sub zero temps with my head sticking out the window, was to blast the defroster on heat so as to warm up the windshield that way when the ice hit it it would melt. After about ten minutes, the windshield cracked clear across from the point of one tiny rock chip because that was the weak spot that couldn't handle the rapid heating and difference in temp between the inside and outside of the glass.

Temp changes aren't the only thing that can make the windshield fail at its weakest point, so my advice is to just get it sorted out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

JAhmed likes this.
  4. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I don't know what was scarier, driving through the Panhandle or having the windshield crack!:eek: It's a pet peeve of mine as well, but the cost of replacing a windshield is daunting, to say the least!

5. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I had a small crack in my 430 windshield when I purchased the car. A couple of years into ownership, I stopped at a shop that Safelite had just purchased and they started a claim for me. Got a new windshield through Liberty Mutual Ins, but it was a 6-month odyssey having to find and pay out of pocket initially for the glass ~$3,200), cycling through an aftermarket windshield that didn't have the embedded radio antenna wire (thankfully), and generally having to make dozens of calls to various people on the insurance end to keep approvals, etc. moving.

I was amazed at how much clearer the new OEM windshield was. The technicians at this particular shop were very quality-minded and invited me in the shop to watch. Overall it was an agonizingly drawn-out experience, but have to say I was very pleased with the final result.

whatheheck likes this.
  6. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    Thanks for all of the info. I might have misrepresented the degree to what I stated as far as “rock chips” is concerned. What I meant to say is that I thought that the little surface pits varied in size. I would not have described these as typical rock chips.
    I realize that having the windshield replaced and additional surface protection would be ideal, but what I am describing doesn’t seem to warrant a replacement. I was just curious about some of the available glass polish compounds and didn’t know whether using this method would do anything and worse, damage the surface.

7. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    That's what I was trying to convey.

Safelite (and other companies) will come and repair the windshield if the chips aren't too bad and if you catch it enough, and it might save you from having to replace it down the line.

8. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You are right to be concerned; you certainly don't want to cause any more damage to the windshield or the coating.

9. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    Thanks. I wasn’t minimizing your analysis.
    I wanted to convey a more accurate account of what is happening. I am basically In Nashville Tn. so I will take your advice and contact Satellite Glass. Thanks.

10. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    This, pretty much mandatory in AZ...:eek:

11. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I know exactly what you're talking about. Both my 458 and Maserati have a few of the tiny little spec's. I figure it's soft glass from Italy, LOL. None of my USA cars and trucks have them. I just live with them.

12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'm guessing blowing in your locale?
    T

13. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My wife’s Infiniti has them, but it’s over 10 years old.

14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I had the same issue on my now sold 2006 F430 Spider.
    Lots of little pits all over the windshield just due to normal driving as I drive my car every chance I get.

Unfortunately there is no fix for those little pits except for a brand new windshield, and as you all know its not cheap to replace a Ferrari windshield.

I finally decided to get it replaced before I sold the car as I want the new owner to have a brand new windshield.

My experience on replacement is similar to member Bruce. I too have Liberty Mutual and it took almost 2 months to get approval to replace it with OEM glass.

Ferrari dealer quoted me $9K to remove and replace.
    Luckily we have a very reputable Ferrari independent mechanic here in Seattle and did the replacement for me using OEM Glass for less than half what the dealer quoted me. He did a great job.

Regarding ClearPlex or any windshield film protection - anyone have experience on these protective films and can share feedback?

I now have a 2016 Cali T and thinking about having windshield film protection installed.

Thank in advance.

Dan

BruceC likes this.
  15. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    A friend just got his new Pista and had the windshield done with PPF when they did the rest of the car. I couldn't tell it was on the windshield from the outside. I didn't sit in the seat and look out to see if there was any distortion but I would think he would have said something if it was bad.

whatheheck likes this.
  16. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No it’s just AZ is the land of rocks, sand and road debris. Does not take long for a windshield to get sand pitted. I had clearplex installed at the same time I had PPF done.

17. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Not sure where u live but I have a guy come to my house after each long drive (1000km) and repair all the pits. He uses a drill and some "stuff" which he cures with a UV lamp (like a dentist). Works well. U can get DIY kits for the same thing but I dont trust myself so use a guy

18. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Technically, there is no fix for those tiny little white spot type pitts in the windshield.
    However, I have found that I was able to reduce the "whiteness" of the pitt, so it is not as obvious from far away. I get them to the point where I have to look for them.
    What I do is get one of those windshield repair kits made for real cracks, like bulls eyes, and stars, etc. You need one that has those clear plastic curing strips included.
    I then put a very tiny drop on the damaged glass, cover with the curing strip, and cure it in sunlight, or with a UV blacklight type bulb.
    Once dried, I use a razor to gently smoothen it out, while being careful not to scrape away all the glue (otherwise nothing was accomplished)
    Then I polish the spot using Ceriglass glass polish.
    That's it. It takes about 20 minutes, and makes it much less noticeable. Not a perfect fix, but won't jump out as much. (especially when you get a small pit in the area that is black on the edges. The contrast makes the white spot that much more pronounced).

Rexcat458 and whatheheck like this.
  19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing.

Can you also share what product you used to fill the small pits?

Dan

20. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I personally used this one several times, and it also worked pretty well on my other cars with real cracks, such as bulls eye, and star cracks.

Amazon.com: Rain-X 600001 Windshield Repair Kit: Automotive

whatheheck likes this.
  21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I've used this kit and it works amazingly well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ALJ4MY/

Here's a video which gives a great run down:

I used the kit above just recently on my Toyota Pickup and was really impressed with the results. I had a pretty decent size bullseye chip (just under the size of a dime; it was almost like two spots next to each other). Anyway, I used the kit and it removed about 90% of the damage and made it practically invisible.

For some of the small chips, I cut up part of the clear film in the kit, then just dropped a drop of the resin into the tiny chips and put the clear film over it. The directions say cure in the sunlight, but I actually used my girlfriend's UV gel fingernail light thing and in 3 minutes it had cured the gel resin just fine. Then you just take a razor blade and peel everything off. Depending on the chip, it does a fairly decent job. I don't know if it totally works on the smaller chips, but on a rock strike with internal fractures, it works really great. Like I say, on my truck, it made what was a very bad impact fracture almost totally vanish and just left a few small lines. Very similar to the video, but not quite as perfect as the video turned out.

On the couple of tiny (about the size of the head of a pin) chips, I tried just putting a drop of resin and then pushing down the clear film and curing it - it worked decent. I'd say it made the chip less prone to reflecting light and maybe made it about 50% to 75% better.

Ray

Rexcat458 and whatheheck like this.
  22. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    he doesn't have CHIPS as in the chips you keep talking about that can be repaired, he has "pitting" there is no way to fix pitting, you have to change the windshield when you can't live with the pitting any longer

23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Any issues with the wiping blades ?

24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

UV epoxy

25. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Yes your not supposed to use the wipers as they may scratch the clearplex, I accidentally turned them on and did not damage the surface. Does not rain here often either, and when it does it’s usually seasonal monsoons and not gonna be driving in those.

MANDALAY likes this.