Ethanol damage to fuel tank and other parts | FerrariChat

Ethanol damage to fuel tank and other parts

Discussion in '308/328' started by Gino328, Dec 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gino328

Gino328 Rookie

Jun 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Watson
    There appears to be accumulating evidence that ethanol damages fuel tanks of older cars and various hoses and gaskets. I think the fuel distributor and fuel pressure regulator in the 308/328 may also be susceptible. Do any of you have any experience with fuel stabilizers/ethanol blocking agents, like the ones from Sta-bil or VP racing?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    We use BG fuel additives for customer cars (Honda), with no ill effects. They definitely minimize the ethanol/water separation and help it combust.

built2grind likes this.
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    From the Doctor of Fuel at Shell: "BURN the gas!!"
    They don't even store it in Labs, outside refrigeration.

So, for the metal tanks, fill the level up and down at least bi weekly even on undriven cars.
    This moves the boundary layer, and remixes the fuel.
    All rubber compnonemts on carbed cars are long overdue for upgrade to tolerant lines and bladders.

The injected cars actually use plastic for the injection lines I believe??

ragtop1 likes this.
  4. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
  5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I use Stabil in all my cars/motos (including my 328) for storage periods of up to 7 months using normal (10% ethanol) gas. They start after that period as if running yesterday.

My 328 has been stored from 4-7 months every year I have owned it since 2008. No issues at all with the ethanol gas.

NYC Fred, BigTex and MFlanagan like this.
  6. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea, we have to be careful with this sort of stuff. It's like the ZDDP thing, I've been waiting about 12 years now to see the mountains of destroyed camshafts that never showed up, We know that ethanol has detrimental effects on certain types of rubber and that it mixes with water. The latter is probably not so bad as it's better to have the water absorbed and run through the engine than sitting as a permanent blob at the bottom of your tank. I'm pretty sure nobody makes fuel hoses anymore that are susceptible to ethanol deterioration. Overall I don't think it's anywhere near as dire as the people who sell additives would have you believe.

Now for long term storage, with or without ethanol yes, you need to take some action to stabilize the fuel.

steven_ew, mike996 and Saabguy like this.
  7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well said......^^^^^

8. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    FWIW.... In Northeast PA the ethanol free 91 gasoline is becoming more popular. Price is fair and below premium pricing.

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Ethanol fuel is a problem for CIS. Also a problem for rubber fuel lines. I think the only fuel lines that handle it without issue are the teflon lined ones.

CIS fuel distributor has internal parts that corrode when ethanol sits, just ask ol Larry of flow tech.

Best advice as noted, drive and drive regularly. Or go find ethanol free.

I also think the water problem is bigger the closer one is to the coast or in high humidity. Always fighting water in the tank here on the cali coast, course CA fuel is worse then crap...

10. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Why is ethanol still being blended into gasoline? Anyone know? I thought this was a push by the Obama administration but there was much debate at the time about false economies and the potential impact on food prices so I am surprised it has lasted. This is not a political question. Ethanol-free gas is quite common in Oklahoma so perhaps it is a state mandate?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    $

Rifledriver, Saabguy and smg2 like this.
  12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I seldom drive my 308 anymore. Last year maybe 200 miles, year before maybe 100. It sit most of the time with E10 in the partially filled tank. E10 has been the only fuel in CT for as long as I can remember now, at least 14 years, maybe longer. Every spring I get int he car, turn the key and start it. Take it out for a short drive before changing the oil. Not once in those 14 years, or in the 35 years I've owned the car, has it ever failed to start and run correctly. In fact the only problems I have ever experienced were due to bad ignition wires, a bad rotor and a shot battery. I don't use and fuel additives ever.

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    In some states oxygenated fuel are mandated for air quality. Ethanol replaced MBTE additive, due to ground water contamination concerns of MBTE, to oxygenate gas so there are fewer hydrocarbon emissions.

JCR and ferrariowner like this.
  14. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    I only use 91 Ethanol free gas for the last 10 years in my 328 very easy to find at shell here in Canada,no need to fill up before storage.

15. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  16. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    Been using VP racing C9 gasoline for ten years. Although expensive at $8.00 gallon, the expense does not exceed the cost of having fouled injectors, gas tank and fuel lines issues that may occur with ethanol gas.

A number of south Florida owners have been using C9 for years.

https://vpracingfuels.com/product/c9/?c=217

17. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    They say you should still store a car with a full tank to reduce the moisture build up in the gas tank.

18. daynyc

daynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2016
    Especially in light of recent national events, I'm trying to steer clear of controversy. I have owned interesting old sports cars for over 45 years. My 1985 QV is actually my newest. I too waited, and waited, and waited with apprehension for the negative effects of ethanol, but have never encountered them. (That's not to say that I know they never occur on certain cars.) I also have used silicone brake fluid, in a variety of vehicles, with tremendous success, since 1976, so feel free to discount anything I say.
    While I don't consider it necessary, I think anyone who wants to pay $14 a gallon for gas absolutely has the right to do so. Even though I live where gas prices are high, I'm truly enjoying $3 a gallon.

19. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I run 101 octane in my 328 and have for the last several years, I can get it at the pump 1/2 mile from my house, of course if Im on a long drive, I will fill up with 91. With that being said, I drive my car all year long, It never sits for more than a few weeks. I dont think they put ethanol in 101 race gas .

Thank you,

20. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Ethanol has an octane rating of 114. Race gas can have methanol or ethanol.

21. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Corn lobby $$$

22. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Funny, we used to regularly add ethanol additive ("Gas Drier") to combat any moisture in the gas; now people complain because they don't have to... ;)

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, corn can be grown, and you have to drill for gas....

Bottom line, because we have Laws and the Feds are propping up the $$ to the corn industry.

24. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Don't forget we use oil (products) to fertilize the corn.

BigTex likes this.
  25. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Or none at all.