"A new Star is born" | FerrariChat

"A new Star is born"

Discussion in 'F1' started by SimCity3, Dec 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

" A new star is born" was Toto's statement about George today

Interestingly the audience ratings had a massive jump this weekend according to Ross Brawn.

Will Mercedes finally dump sleepy Bottas, and utilize the benefits of a 1 year contract ?

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    And make 2021 a bit excitingg by having Lewis challenged at least?

3. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Seriously, would be nice for Mercedes to make some kind of effort in making F1 interesting again.

Natkingcolebasket69 and SimCity3 like this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

They can run with 3 wheels and 4 cylinders until others catch up??

Red 27, LVP488, kylec and 1 other person like this.
  5. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Exactly.
    Lewis keeps saying he wants close racing.
    George is the solution.

Senna1994 and Bas like this.
  6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Russell is WDC material in the Mercedes.

Mercedes just has to fit him in a comfortable chassis and all Russell has to do is hone his race-craft skills.

He can do ir.

7. DF1

I do think he would like other teams as well.

8. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Lewis has a knack of saying things he doesn't mean.

Jakuzzi, E60 M5, Wikdstrate and 6 others like this.
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Bingo. "oh I want Max/Leclerc/Vettel as a teammate''. Easy to say when he knows it won't actually happen. Go on Lewis. Call your bluff.

10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I don’t get it..
    Russell is a pure product of the Mercedes filiere. How is it that he hasn’t been in the W11 since the beginning of the season? Hamilton said he loved sport and competition, but the facts prove him wrong again.

Jakuzzi, Senna1994, SimCity3 and 2 others like this.
  11. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    For Mercedes, I don't think its a choice between Bottas and Russell. Its a choice between Lewis and Russell, with Bottas a solid #2. I can see Lewis (if he really wants to race another year) cutting his salary to stay on the team and keep Russell out. Also, with Bottas, Lewis knows exactly how hard he has to work to stay in front. Russell must be Lewis's biggest fear...a young driver with as much talent and hungrier. After today I'm not sure anyone would pay Lewis' salary now. Russell is the hot star everyone would love to have at a great price. I think Ferrari would dump Sainz for him, Red Bull might even consider Max could be replaced with Russell, and at this point, I think Russell could have his pick of what team he wants to drive for, and they'd all pay Williams whatever the cost to buy out his contract.

12. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Lots of people have been talking about Russell being an amazing talent. And now we know 100% it’s true. It actually doesn’t matter that he lost - that wasn’t his fault. But boy the kids got all the skills. Speed - check. Race craft - check. Overtaking without DRS - check. Intelligence - check. Cool under pressure - check. He’s every bit as good as any other top tier driver. His next move is crucial. He needs to avoid the trap of settling for a midfield team to get away from Williams and wait for the right car in a team capable of a wdc. Right now that’s only Mercedes but come 2022 all bets are off - and hopefully the choice will be wider. His time will come. He’s just too good to get passed up.

Thecadster, mdrums, Senna1994 and 5 others like this.
  13. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Bingo. All the people talking crap about Bottas haven't got the slightest idea what winning a WCC is about. Bottas is the perfect #2 driver and quite frankly Hamilton is the perfect #1 driver (no mistakes). A lot of hate on here because he wins the title and breaks the records of his Holiness, but it's a golden combination.

I would love to see Mercedes go for Russell instead of Hamilton in 2022, Ferrari kicking out Sainz for Hamilton and watch Hamilton take his 9th title for Ferrari! I'm guessing the world population of crows would go extinct though...

14. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Never happen. Hamilton doesn't have the chops to win without a dominant car. Driving for Ferrari would Vettelate him.

Jakuzzi, Wikdstrate, SimCity3 and 2 others like this.
  15. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Today’s words coming from Germany ( don’t know the source sorry) .
    Red Bull wants Russell as Max teammate next year.
    Interesting.

Senna1994 likes this.
  16. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

If that happened Mercedes might supply RB with engines. Toto said he wants to see close competition. But then again...:D

Jakuzzi likes this.
  17. RobertJRB

RobertJRB Karting

Feb 8, 2012

Russell showed he is on par with Hamilton, and that Hamilton isn't the special GOAT some people like him to be.
    But Saintz, Perez or lets say a Riciarrdo would have done just as good in the W11. Let alone what a Leclerc or Verstappen could do with that car.

RB replacing Verstappen, or Ferrari Saintz for Russell because he is quicker than Bottas is just plain silly.

Wikdstrate, Senna1994, Bas and 2 others like this.
  18. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    News coming from England (source is me - I made this up).
    Russell tells RB to take a hike as he has no interest in that toxic environment that has destroyed many more careers than it’s made..!

635CSI likes this.
  19. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Do you really believe he is happy to do one more year with Williams after the demonstration he made yesterday ?
    Russell’s management is the only real mistake Toto made the last seven years.

20. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Agree with To
    Hamilton didn't race Sunday

21. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I agree that Russell should have been given the Merc seat last year but they went with Bottas instead. That was a mystery. It is what it is.

But tell me this. What would you rather do:-

option 1 - one more year in Williams then straight to Mercedes

option 2 - move to another team for 2021 (not many options left...) and permanently lose the chance of a Mercedes seat?

22. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Red Bull is not a bad option.
    Problem is Max.
    With more experience he’s very very strong.
    He’s a team mate destroyer now.
    Finally you are right , better for George to stay one year more with Williams waiting the Mercedes seat.
    Just hope Checo will have the Red Bull seat because people will really Realize how Max is really quick.

Senna1994, Bas, sammysaber and 3 others like this.
  23. DF1

The next year with Williams is not at all a career ending item for Russell. Now the team will see him in possibly 2 races. They can assist him in what they would want him to do and be prepared for - assuming he is selected. One year with LH would be my opinion and have LH move on. The second seat would then go to Max LOL :)

24. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Prior to this weekend Russell was a future Mercedes star with no real options outside of that.

After this weekend Russell is on everybody's radar. Given his performance this shift is well earned.

Bas, SimCity3, jpalmito and 3 others like this.
  25. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    "Valtteri it's James.......you know the William's right??............."

Bas and SimCity3 like this.