355 - Wiring help | FerrariChat

355 Wiring help

Discussion in '348/355' started by A348W, Aug 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Just picked up a US spec 355 to add to my 348TS.

Whilst the previous owner helpfully gave me a CD of the manual I have no CD reader!!!! Can anybody held with the wiring diagram, specifically for lighting? (I have searched but cant seem to find anything.)

I need to add a rear fog light (legal requirement here in the UK) and splicing into the current harness would help; although I may just run some additioal wires.

As an aside, does anybody know what the actual difference between the US and Euro rear inner tail lights is? Different part numbers and still three bulds...!

Much appreciated.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    2.7 or 5.2 car?

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to modify the lighting. The tail lights are completely different on UK and USA cars. I've created diagrams for Euro and USA cars, but I'm not 100% sure of the UK setup. You may need to buy Euro tail lights.

I'm away from home at the moment. Give me a day or so to provide links to my diagrams, or just search this forum using "diagram, lighting, USA, Euro, 2.7 (or 5.2) " and my user name in the second search box and you may get a few hundred hits :D

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    It’s a 2.7. (Sorry forgot that key bit of info!)

A US spec diagram would be brilliant.

I’m catching up with a UK 355 on the weekend to see what the actual difference in lights is; but as long as I can rig something to get me through the test I’ll be happy!!!

thanks for the help appreciated.

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Here's the F355 lighting wiring diagram for the USA (2.7) cars:

Fig8_Lighting_Diagram_USA

As far as I know, the USA cars have no provisional wiring for the rear fog lights (at least not from the relay panel to the tail light clusters). I think it will be very difficult to wire up the rear fog lights in parallel with the front fog lights. It would probably better/safer to wire up the rear fog lights to a rear foglight switch. Note that the internal wiring of the relay/fuse panel in the footwell and in the forward luggage compartment should be the same on all cars. The instrument binnacle may also have provisional wiring for the rear fog warning light. If you're very lucky, there may even be provisional wiring from a dummy switch on the centre console to the relay panel for the rear fog.

Here's the Euro diagram (2.7). This shows the rear fog light wiring:

Fig8_Lighting_Diagram (Euro)

That second diagram may or may not be closest to the UK car.

I'm not sure how the tail light assemblies are wired up internally. Instead of wires, there may or may not be metal strips or a circuit board which provides power to the lamp holders (which cannot be modified). If this is the case, you may have to purchase new tail light clusters.

Finding a wiring path from the relay panel to the rear lights via the relay panel might be a bit of a nightmare. The new wire may have to go along the console tunnel and under or over the fuel tank, then split into two (and run down the flanks).
    Anyone who has done this modification before might want to step forward at this point. Club Scuderia probably has a greater percentage of UK owners some of whom may have gone through this process.

I did draw some graphics of the tail light assemblies, but I wasn't able to confirm the lighting configuration on the UK car. Maybe you could confirm that the UK car is correct (although already I noticed that there is no rear fog on it).

RearLightsF355AustraliaV3

If you see any errors (and have a simple graphics program), maybe you could edit it as required and return it to me?

When checking lights, note that some light "half rings" appear to have bulbs in them, but it's just light bleeding from one half to the other. You may make modifications to wiring and then realise that you may need to make a proper barrier between the half rings.

Hope this makes sense.

PaulK, A348W and WATSON like this.
  6. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Ian, thank you so much.

I will go through that this weekend, what my lights currently do and with my friends UK car, what a UK car does. From that I will hopefully figure out a plan.

Two initial ideas are that:
    a) I could use the wires from the rear bumper repeaters, a UK bumper has been put on and there are no lights there now, but the wires are still there. This could get over the issue of running wires if they run continuous into the cabin.
    b) and I need to confirm on the UK car, but I could piggy back of the brake lights in the inner light clusters. Bit of a cheat but could work!

I think there have already been some modifications to the car in that the fog light switch no longer does anything and the front fog/driving lights are operated from the headlight stalk, which I believe on the US cars don’t do, at least in my manual they don’t.

I’ll keep you posted. Got to sort it by the 8th as that is test day! At least UK lights are in stock, if expensive!! So plan is to figure out what I’m doing this weekend, order any parts Monday and then sort the remainder of the week/ weekend.

Qavion likes this.
  7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Great idea to use part of the wiring for the USA rectangular side markers!

Note that on the Euro car, the rear fogs do not illuminate unless the low beam headlights are on. I don't know if this is mandatory for the UK car. I'm not sure why this is done unless the designers simply ran out of room on the relay panels for installing a rear fog light relay. Note that full rear fog light power runs through the switch. You will need some way of turning off the fogs with the ignition off to save your battery.

The USA wiring diagrams do indicate that the front fogs need the sidelights to be on, so they do use headlight stalk input. i.e. Relay G is controlled by relay F. Note that the front fog lights on US cars are also used for daylight flashers. Be careful you do not affect the operation of these with wiring modifications.

8. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    #8 A348W, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Ian, just spent the evening looking at those diagams, they are amazing and a massive help.

I think I'm going to have to run another wire from the cabin, unless I can trace splice 30067 and hope its inside the cabin, in which case I can use the side indicator wiring!

For power/switch, I'll piggy back of the exisitng front fog light switch; which you are allowed to do.

Even with a wire run I'm going to either have to change all the lights units or add a little red LED. I will initally go for a red LED that I found for trailers and is 2 and a bit inches in diameter and can hopefull be put on the rear grill neatly. If I keep the car long term or dont like the LED I might then swap all lights out for Euro ones.

9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks! Do you know where I can get the rest of these diagrams for the US 2.7 cars? I'd like to save these for a reference.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'll create a zip file of my latest versions tonight, but it is probably best if you request individual files as required. I modify my files on a regular basis as new information comes to hand. Some of these files have had 40 or so amendments.
    I just noticed that these particular files don't have any graphics of the back of the relay panel to help with pin identification. If there's enough room, I'll add at least one graphic.

By the way, the US 2.7 cars are not so different from the Euro cars. External lights, warning buzzers and some dash warning lights are the notable exceptions. Do you have an airbag?

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    308 GTB likes this.
  12. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Yes, airbag version, although aftermarket wheel on at the moment so just pondering putting the original back or getting a 348 wheel!!!

13. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Job done!!!

Not the neatest solution in the end for the switch but as long as it gets me through the MOT test!

I found some round 12v led lights for £3. Stuck one on to the grill with number plate double sided tape so as not to permanently damage anything and routed the wires through the holes in the grill. (I’ll spend some time this winter trying to find a rectangular one that can sit in the black slit at the bottom of the bumper; less obvious.

Rummaging in the engine compartment trying to chase wires, somebody had already been through the bulkhead wiring up the bypass valve so I had a ready made cable run.

The ideal solution would have been to connect up to the fog light relay; but I just didn’t want to take the front of the car apart to run the wires etc; so a quick splice into the stereo power feed and a little toggle switch under the dash and job done.

I also removed the subwoofer somebody had put on the parcel shelf; had to come off to run the wires through the bulkhead, and I found a convenient earth point there as well. The subwoofer was very nicely done and covered in matching leather, but not for me. I also took the opportunity to straighten the parcel shelf trim piece that had curled at the corners from heat. A bit of gentle heat from a paint gun made the corners playable to reshape, and a bit of adhesive to stick the leather back on.

I also found a few “boxes” in the centre console that are not original and god only knows what they do! The dash has to come out to be recovered so I’ll probably take the opportunity then to remove them then and tidy up the wiring.

Thank you for your help on this; it is appreciated.

The wiring diagrams will come in handy as I’ve also found a few connections disconnected that I don’t know what they do, although I have done suspicions.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  14. Clarence Cazimero

Sep 17, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Clarence Cazimero
    Is it me.... or are the links in Qavion post not working?

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #15 Qavion, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    All of my diagrams were swallowed up when I changed my internet connection.

I’ve opened up a free Dropbox account and upload there, but the links expire in 6 days.

Any special requests?

Ferrari F355 2.7 zipped wiring diagrams here

https://www.dropbox.com/t/WeeNZZ3QZNIQdLQt

16. Clarence Cazimero

Sep 17, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Clarence Cazimero
    Yes, thank you. I have a Canadian 1995 2.7 F355 (gated), and have converted all the lights to EU Spec. All I have left to wire is the rear fog light which needs to be, ON,low beam power and when high beam is on, power will need to be interrupted. So I would like to know where is the best place to wire into?

17. Clarence Cazimero

Sep 17, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Clarence Cazimero

Yes, thank you. I have a Canadian 1995 2.7 F355 (gated), and have converted all the lights to EU Spec. All I have left to wire is the rear fog light which needs to be, ON,low beam power. So I would like to know where is the best place to wire into?

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do you mean the fog light system needs to be armed with the low beams on (but still needs a front fog light switch)? Or do you mean it needs to come on automatically with low beam headlights?

On Euro cars, the power for the rear fog lights comes off the left hand low beam headlight fuse. This power then goes through the front fog light switch (on the centre console) and on to the rear foglights. US-style relay panesl may have provisional wiring from the left hand low beam headlight fuse holder to one of the relay panel plugs on the back of the relay panel, but it might be easier to install one of those fuses with a wire coming from it (easier than getting to the back of the panel and repinning plugs).

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/114362732774?

Then you would have to run wiring to the rear of the car (via a switch if you need to). I don't believe there is provisional wiring already installed on N. American cars.

However, I need you to confirm that on your car that the low beam headlights do not extinguish when the high beams are put on. Euro and US relay panels have different internal wiring and the low beam headlights behave differently.

19. Clarence Cazimero

Sep 17, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Clarence Cazimero

The fog light system needs to be armed with the low beams on but still needs a fog light switch installed. The front fog lights are daytime running lights. And YES the low beam headlights do NOT extinguish when the high beam are on.

Think I will go with your suggestion above and install a fuse with a wire coming off of the low beam fuse, to switch, to a new wire running to the rear fog light.

Qavion likes this.
  20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #20 Qavion, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    I'm wondering if you have any provisional wiring for the rear fog light dash warning light. I noticed on my car, the instrument binnacle is wired for functions I don't have.

(EDIT: It looks like the N. American front fog light warning light is in the same position as the Euro rear fog light warning light. You may be out of luck... unless you're removing the front fog function?)

21. Clarence Cazimero

Sep 17, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Clarence Cazimero
    I’ll have a look today and see what’s there. And on the center console where the fog light switch would be is a switch for my heated side Mirrors.

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ah, you have a spider?

The only blank annunciator slot seems to be the TIRE PRESS SYS (bottom of the left hand vertical row of warning lights). This is connected to pin 1 (or pin 13?) on the left hand connector of the instrument binnacle. That light is looking for an earth, though, not power.

Maybe it's best just to add a switch with a built in light.

23. Clarence Cazimero

Sep 17, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Clarence Cazimero
    No I have a GTB. But I did run a test wire from the head lamp fuse, to switch, to rear fog light and it worked as required.

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    oh, I thought the heated side mirror symbol was reserved for spiders and the heated rear window symbol was on the GTB/GTS?

Excellent.

25. Clarence Cazimero

Sep 17, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Clarence Cazimero