Ferrari or McLaren (other?)? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari or McLaren (other?)?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by hallsdad, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I had a 355 years ago and didn’t love it and missed the edgier quality of the 348 spider that preceded it(I’m in the minority) I now have a 430 spider and it’s a very special car and very exciting to drive it’s just overlooked because of all the attention the 458 gets. I picked up my dream car last year , a 675 LT spider and it phenomenal but I still drive the 430 often because it offers a very different experience, more loud and racy. The Mac is more super car and the 430 is more sports car, both great.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have a few Mclarens coming in for various things. The customers who own them were former Ferrari/lambo owners. 99% will not buy another McLaren. They will go back to the Ferrari or Lambo.

The McLaren cars seem to be more of an experiment to try somthing new. Sure they are fast, but that isnt everything.

3. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Russ @ Ferrparts
    Punu@ Ferrparts
    Kam @Scuderia
    Eric @ Ferrari San Diego...........
    No problem getting parts or diagrams for Ferrari's

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Eurospares are still up..I use thier diagrams then call ricambi to place the order..

5. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Give there lawyers time,

FERRARI-TECH likes this.
  6. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    Love my F430, besides normal maintenance, been trouble free, only thing I hear from McLaren owners is they have electrical issues but the drive great too

hallsdad likes this.
  7. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    How many miles do have on your McLaren? I hear problems start after 10k

8. stan996turbo

Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I’ve spent $50k on my 550 in the 16 years of ownership, nothing exceptional it just adds up. Ferrari and McLaren are both potentially very expensive to maintain it can be as simple as luck of the draw on what your personal experience is. The 355 is notoriously an expensive car to maintain, all these cars have the potential for a big service bill. There are plenty of McLaren owners that have enjoyed their cars trouble free.

hallsdad likes this.
  9. stan996turbo

Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Do you service McLarens?

10. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    I do..
    www.fmssocal.com
    instagram @ fmssocal

11. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I don't like to quote milage details in public forums. I can say that in my experience, as well as some other McLaren friends, the cars are bullet proof and that 10K has come and gone without incident.

Boomhauer and hallsdad like this.
  12. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I find that my 570 is so quick that it is impossible to get into the throttle for more than a few seconds. 0-60 is sub 3 sec in the real world and 100 in 6. I literally have been able to run away from almost anything on the road or track. Just how fast do you need to go? I have been instructing for 20+ years and unless guys have gotten better (and they haven't), most shouldn't be let loose in a Miata running on 3 cylinders, let alone 500+ hp. A buddy of mine has a 12C and we swapped cars. We both agreed (and surprised), that the 570 was faster. The fact that it has a 'regular' suspension is a plus for me.

As a guy that likes to do my own work, not having a proper dx tool was a challenge. That all changed a couple of months ago. Now, the experience is complete.

13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Aside from the McLarens having next level performance, they just seem to put a smile on people's faces.

I was one of the founders of the Desert Region of the FCA and the 1st regional director (for whatever that is worth). After 30 years of making excuses for the vast majority of Ferrari owners (in my area) for not being a bunch of putzes and poseurs, it has been refreshing to find that the McLaren guys I've met actually drive the cars, track them and are more interested in the driving experience rather than the best valet spot.

It was definitely a 'something new' thing, but it has turned out to be a lot more.

14. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    The McLaren is indeed edgier; when you set the handling and powertrain controls even of the 570S to R it is amazing.
    The Ferrari is more refined

hallsdad likes this.
  15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i have also been hankering for a maclaren.
    but i was aiming myself more at the super series with the active suspension - 12c/650s/720s.

i am interested to hear about your high rating of the 570s - and i must admit i dont like the look as much as the super series.

have you been in some of the super series to give us a comparison of them vs the sport series?

16. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Ross, I had a 600LT spider for the last year. Just traded it for a 720 spider. Both excellent cars, but quite different. The 720, of course has more power and interior is more spacious. The 570 interior was a bit small for my liking. Styling is subjective. I personally like both. Both cars feel light and responsive - the 570 a bit more so than the 720.

17. rsmitchell10

rsmitchell10 Karting

Aug 21, 2016
    Atlanta
    I'm moving from an 06 F430 spider to a 570S. Just waiting for delivery which should be Friday. Only test drove McLarens but have wanted to try something different. We'll see how the experience is after having it a while.

18. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I have have not driven the Super Series but did compare a 650S to the 570S and can attest that as far as space goes the 570 is smaller than both that and the 458

19. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the 650s is the super series.
    the super series (active suspension) is the 12c, the 650s, the 674 lt, the 720s, and now the 765 lt
    the sport series (passive suspension) is the 570s and the 600lt

20. hallsdad

hallsdad Karting

Mar 6, 2010
    Cayce, SC
    Full Name:
    Steve
    These are many great replies. The one thing I have not really seen mentioned other than from a tech...does anyone do self maintenance? I know many Ferrari guys (myself included) who won’t hesitate to pull an engine. Are tools/diagnostic equip avail to make it a do it yourself option?

I’m still pondering but want to take everything into consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. Labrador

Labrador Rookie

Jan 14, 2017
    I have an F12 and a McLaren 720s.
    They are very different cars. I can’t say one is better than the other. The McLaren is quicker and handles better, and doesn’t have the Ferrari stigma (know the difference between a Ferrari and a cactus? The cactus has the pricks on the outside). The Ferrari has glorious sound and that little bit of frisson that it’s going to kill you, if you can swing it financially, kept the F car and get a Mac.

Boomhauer and hallsdad like this.
  22. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston

Well, the MP 4 12C has been documented as having issues particularly with the doors. I hadn't heard about the other issues mentioned in the thread but a first edition is bound to have issues. Access to a great mechanic is a real concern. I'm not sure why the 458 didn't make the cut. I have one and it is amazing. All of the little but expensive crap with the 360 and 430 are gone. It looks great and screams. Also, have a Porsche Turbo S and those cars are fast and bullet proof. Turbos just don't have a great sound to me and the McLaren is a turbo. Good Luck!

hallsdad likes this.
  23. hallsdad

hallsdad Karting

Mar 6, 2010
    Cayce, SC
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have actually just brought a 458 into my radar as you can find some for just slightly more cash.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Have the transmission checked by a Ferrari dealer or independent that is capable of repairing the DCT....458 great cars..

hallsdad likes this.
  25. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Great thread and posts guys. I am in the market for the 12c/650s. For me, it is styling and awesome technology that of course, comes along with an expected price tag.

The 570s with the simpler suspension setup is a plus, but I just can't get over the looks of the rear end...reminds me of the Predator guy's beautiful face, AFTER he removes the helmet!