Boxer 1984 512 BBi in California? | FerrariChat

Boxer 1984 512 BBi in California?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by yelcab, Nov 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I figure I ask here.

Can a 1984 Ferrari Boxer 512bbi be registered and pass smog in California without extreme modification?

2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I don’t think it’s possible since It was never legally imported to the United States… Those were all gray market cars weren’t they? If there are any in California they are on Montana plates

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That shuts the door for California.

4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    FBB made a good point on another thread these are great conversations for the silver or red private areas.

5. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Sammy drives his around Marin - not sure if its carb or injection.

6. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    I think the key phrase here is “without extreme modification”. As was mentioned, these are all gray market cars, so a good amount of modifications are needed to pass CARB requirements, including some expensive bills to to through the CARB certification process.

That said, while difficult, it’s not impossible. It was done with my car when new (86 412 5 speed) and continues to be done for lots of JDM cars. If you want to learn more, I’d suggest getting in touch with folks that do this on a more or less regular basis (sorry no specific suggestions other thank the hint of looking into JDM imports since they have to do this type of mods to those cars as well).

There are definitely gray market cars (my 412 as well as 512’s I’ve seen) driving around with CA plates... they usually command a pretty hefty price premium because of it though, compared to non-CARB legal cars.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Ruben

7. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007