Need advice on a possible 360 purchase. | FerrariChat

Need advice on a possible 360 purchase.

Discussion in '360/430' started by DRAGANFERRARI, Dec 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DRAGANFERRARI

DRAGANFERRARI Rookie

Oct 12, 2016
    I currently own a US spec 2003 gated 360 spider silver/black. I am looking at possibly trading someone for a Euro spec gated 360 spider Red/black. My only concern is the person doesn’t have the federalization paperwork.
    My questions/concerns are:
    Do I really need the federalization paperwork for anything? Are copies of that paperwork obtainable through any agencies or Ferrari?
    Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    Dragan

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i dont know the answer to your question but id keep your car if they are of similar quality.

armedferret likes this.
  3. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Based on my limited experience registering 3 Euro cars in Massachusetts. TR and 2 930s.
    In Mass. they did not check Federalization documents.
    Required to get a Document for VIN Verification to bring to the RMV. I used local Police Officers. Came to my home, viewed VIN, signed document.
    Insured and registered with no delays or concerns.
    I was able to get Federalization Documents from a contact at the DoT. Dick Merritt(?) was an amazing help on both the TR and the Porsches. Don't know if he is still there.
    This was 15+ years ago. No idea if still valid.

4. DRAGANFERRARI

DRAGANFERRARI Rookie

Oct 12, 2016
    I am looking at the other one because it is Red

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I own a Euro 360 and I do have all of the federalization paperwork on it. I would insist on the paperwork. If it does have the paperwork, I don’t see why it would be worth a penny less than a US spec car - after federalization it is a US spec car.

armedferret likes this.
  6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    You are looking at trading a US spec for a Euro spec? I'm sorry, that seems very counterproductive to me....not only due to the paperwork/regulations, but also the significant loss of value between the 2 (euro models are ALWAYS worth less than US.) I'd think if the color is the only factor, you'd do better just getting a new paint job.

7. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    Just wrap your car

EastMemphis likes this.
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yup

9. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    "Do I really need the federalization paperwork for anything?"

California is impossible and w/o a BAR sticker you get no where.

Do not know where you are located, but most states outside of CA do not care.

However that is a caveat, because you should have all the paperwork and the DOT and EPA bond info

Don't make a mistake you might regret

10. Mbelliss

Mbelliss Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mark B
    Seems like a dicey situation without complete confidence in the process for your state and the paperwork necessary in hand. The wrap is the right solution. A really good one will not only look great, it will protect the original finish underneath. Sometimes, when you get something in your head you are really focused on doing it, but in this case a dose of input from your fellow Ferrarista’s is worth listening to...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

armedferret likes this.
  11. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I looked a a very nice Euro 6 speed spider recently.

It has a bogus EPA sticker on it. No recognizable company name, address, or location

I checked with EPA and DOT and both said no history. Waiting on Customs to give info.

I also inquired of two authorized certifiers in Florida. One did not recognize the VIN; the other did not respond.

Appears car came into the US illegally and lived in Florida for about 8 - 10 years where it was registered.

There is no record of this car anywhere showing it was converted as required.

This is why one has to be very careful.

Attached is an example of a sticker that should be on the converted vehicle that has been EPA and DOT certified.

Don't use emotion when looking at a Euro; use a common sense approach

California B.A.R. sticker will be in addition to this.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Florida allows one to register a car that was imported illegally?

13. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I am not asserting that Florida does.

I am stating my experience of tracing the vehicle

It started life there in FLA, passed smog there, and was registered there for 8-10 years.

How it got into the country is a mystery. Could have come in a container and stated as machinery on the declaration.

I had seen this happen in the 1970's, when emission specs were not as tough and importing was easier.

I brought a Dino into the US in 1974 and had to have EPA & DOT bonds to do so.

The Euro spider to which I am referring has no identifiable history with the Feds and import requirements

14. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Silver's actually one of the worst colors to try to wrap. You'll see silver at the edges under the wrap. Especially in tight spots.

Black / dark colors wrap best. Light colors the worst - a lot of places around here won't wrap silver or white...