550 is 25 next year . . . anyone fancy a meet in Maranello? | FerrariChat

550 is 25 next year . . . anyone fancy a meet in Maranello?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bluebottle, Dec 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    With any luck things may be back to some sort of normality by next summer. Is anyone up for a meet in Maranello to celebrate the 25th. anniversary of the birth of our favourite Ferrari?

2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thread subscribed to, that would be a lot of fun.

Bas likes this.
  3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Count me in, John. Work, travel, pandemics and so on permitting of course.

Bas likes this.
  4. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Can 456 owners join?

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    This will be a good event to attend.

6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #6 F456M, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Let’s do it!!

Excellent idea! I am definately in. We should invite some magazines like Robb Report and the British motor journalists like Harry and some members of Mille Miglia to further strengthen the good reputation and image of the best Ferrari of all times!

-Or we could do a Cannonball run from Nürnburgring to Maranello with a big party together with Ferrari! With Luca di Montezemolo at the gala dinner table!

Erik
    Oslo

Attached Files:

Bas and Harryk like this.
  7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I may be in, conditions and other activities permitting... I wonder if Ferrari would arrange something themselves (they may identify an opportunity to make some money ;))

F456M likes this.
  8. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    Jroe550, Bas and F456M like this.
  9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    OK, so there is clearly some interest.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am not into organising a major event, both because I am not very good at it, and also because I am fundamentally lazy. I had in mind something along the following lines:
    • Perhaps 10 to 15 cars, so 20-30 people. Makes a manageable group and anyway I should be surprised if we were to get more than that.
    • Stay in one of the hotels in Maranello, ideally all in the same one, for maybe two / three days. If we were to make a provisional block booking in one hotel, then everyone to confirm direct to the hotel, so they could stay longer if preferred, or they could stay in another hotel of their own choosing.
    • Travel independently to Maranello, though if there are several cars coming from the same area, they might arrange to travel together. For anyone who fancies the idea, there could be a pre-meet at Nurburgring (where the 550 was launched) and then travel together to Maranello.
    • Dinner one evening at Ristorante Montana (yes, Eric, we could invite LCdM as guest of honour - he might even come!). Maybe a second dinner at Ristorante Cavallino, if it has re-opened by then.
    • Factory tour if it can be arranged. Maybe get the cars into the factory grounds as we did with the Dinos in 2018.
    • Other activities could be arranged according to individual wishes - some people have done the usual attractions and may not wish to repeat, plus we all have different preferences, although we could make some suggestions for particular days, so that people who want to do the same thing can choose to do so together. Some thoughts:
      • Maranello - Ferrari museum.
      • For the heretics among us, Sant'Agata Bolognese is a half hour drive from Maranello and there is rumoured to be a car factory / museum there
      • Modena - the other Ferrari museum, and the Umberto Panini collection (Maseratis mainly). Various cultural attractions, e.g. - https://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/modena-i-er-mo.htm
      • Bologna - various cultural attractions, e.g. - https://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/bologna-i-er-b.htm
      • Maybe a drive to a restaurant somewhere in the countryside near Maranello
      • I have a friend who has a Balsamico vineyard near Modena, so could perhaps organise a tour
      • Florence, with all of its amazing art and architecture, is less that two hours' drive from Maranello, either as a day out from Maranello, or as an add-on for an extended stay
    Date. This is the hard part - so much uncertainty with the spectre of Covid 19 hanging over us, but let's have a go:
    • I am assuming that the factory will be closed in August, which rules that month out.
    • Launch date was some time in July 1996 (I can't remember the actual date just now), so that is clearly a date of significance. Weather should be good by then and if there is a further wave of Coronavirus in the New Year, I should have thought that travel restrictions should be lifted by then.
    • September would probably be a safer bet - August apart, this is the month most likely to be free of restrictions on travel / hotels.
    • June. Higher risk of travel / hotel restrictions, but usually good weather and not so many tourists around before school holidays start.
    So, your thoughts please, Gentlemen! Does this sound about right to you? Or have I got it all wrong?

F456M and MRY like this.
  10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    One more thought. If anyone from the US wants to come but does not want to go to the considerable expense of bringing their car over, it may be possible to match them with participants from Europe who have a spare seat.

F456M and MRY like this.
  11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't see why not. Likewise 575s. In the unlikely event that there is overwhelming demand, it may be necessary to give preference to 550s, but I don't really see that happening.

F456M likes this.
  12. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
  13. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I can't be there for a number of reasons but I think the Hotel Domus in Maranello would be on the short list both for it's location and history.

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What about early October? Weather is like 70F day 60F night...perfect. If I went I would plan a few days flyfishing rivers in the Italian Alps too.

F456M and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  15. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    FWIW octoberfest is also end of September ending the 1st Sunday in October. Could be a fantastic overall trip.

fatbillybob likes this.
  16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    September / October is a good time for a number of reasons..fewer school/college holidays, usually good weather, spectacular autumn landscapes..any foray into Europe’s winelands then will have to bear in mind it’s harvest season maximising chances of Ferrari-tractor interfacing.

Eric, you are a tougher man than I, the idea of several litres of strong Oktoberfest lager and sausages followed by a spirited Alpine drive in a Ferrari the next day does not sit well with my insides

I feel I am an honorary 550 owner as I parted with mine involuntarily.

F456M likes this.
  17. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hi all

Living in the south of Germany, it's nearly a home run for me.
    Let's see what the next months will bring us (with the pandemic).

September/October can be wonderful, also in the alps, but these months can also bring very ugly weather with snow and salt (alps).
    I prefered these 2 months for my short trips through the alps and to Italy (with the Ghibli, the 550 or the 599)

Daniel

F456M likes this.
  18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I agree September or even October are good months. When I went over the alps in September there were great weather and far away from salt temperatures. It was 26-29 degrees at 11 PM in the evening in Monte Carlo when I came down. Just excellent!
    I believe even October is no problem. To me it seems more likely that an event like this will be a reality if it is easy to decide on. And that means simplicity. Too complicated and over many days and also many expences is making it less likely to happen in my opinion. But yes I agree to spend some time when we first get to Italy. Time is what makes a trip enjoyable. After a long drive from remote places, just having a few days off in a good area is great.

An event like this should be planned together with Ferrari in case they can spread some light on the topic in terms of history and background of the model etc. They do of course also have a great experience with similar events. Maybe a trip to the Pininfarina museum would be an interesting event? All these Italian manufacturers have great museums and I have been to a few.

Erik

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NewYorkLego and Themaven like this.
  19. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    First we need a list from owner which are interested. Also think about that our Maranellos are old and many problems can happened to drive big distance. When I think about how much problems I had the last years..... normaly I transport my both Ferraris on trailer for long distance. Next year with my Rolls-Royce Silver Spur with trailer. I can repair also many problems from Maranellos. Most of the Maranellos are Garage queens........
    I have the new Maranello book from Nathan Beehl and some little Road book from the 1997 Event 50 years.

1. Tim Eckart Germany red Maranello 550 1997

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  20. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Interested! Definitely can't bring my 575, but would love to ride shotgun.

F456M likes this.
  21. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Did I understand you correctly when you say you will be towing the car trailer after your RR Silver Spur? :) I like that idea somehow... Actually my experience is opposite of yours. The only thing I can trust 100% on is the 550. Life goes up and down, but that car is pretty much the one thing I can say for certain that never disappoint. Some small issues along the way, but for driving through Europe, it is the perfect tool for the job! Any picture of the Rolls?

22. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    F456M likes this.
  23. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
  24. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #25 F456M, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    Hi Tim!

That is a cool set-up and great toys. After being in the business with American speed boats for about sixteen years, I have quite a bit of experience with towing heavy boats and trailers, usually the trailers are 2-13 tonnes. One tip: Check how the transmission works. A car with automatic transmission has an automatic lock-up function to engage a fixed connection between the engine and the rear axle/drive wheels. This is to eliminate the torque converter for a more efficient power delivery, and it use to lock at about 80 kph. When towing uphill at less than the speed where the function is normally disengaged, the oil in the torque converter gets seriously hot in a short time. Big pickup trucks use to have a «tow-mode» button on the shift stalk you can press in that change the shift pattern to give the truck more power and shift later at higher revs, but it also make the lock up engage at about 40 kph. so it is possible to drive at slow traffic without heating the transmission oil too much. A 550 on a proper car trailer is about 2,7 tons, so I would be careful not to burn your friction plates inside your automatic transmission. I know these Rollses have a very soft characteristic to shift smooth, and that actually makes it a bit worse too. If you watch the rev counter (Drehzahlmesser!! ), you can see that the revs don't go up at all when you give just a little more gas usually at above 80 kph. or so. Under that speed, the revs can go up about 500 rpm. just by giving a little gas even though you are in the same gear, and then it is the torque converter that «steals» some power to make the car soft but also to make the engine to be running in Drive while you are at a red stop light. You probably know very well how this works, but I just make you know as I have had oil boiling and going out the overflow valve on my Chevrolet Avalanche gas V8 truck which has a less efficient tow mode than the real diesel trucks I had before... It is quite expencive when the transmission needs to be completely overhauled and rebuild and a pain if you are stranded along the road and the Rolls will not move at all. And I guess even more expencive to rebuild when owning a Rolls Royce! Try to check if the transmission does have a lock-up function and try to tow above this speed when going uphill or in a very hot climate (inte summer of 2019, I towed a boat on German Autobahn during a period with an extreme heat wave and saw a max temp of 46 degrees C.!). And if you have an electric lock-up function, then you might want to make a manual switch so you can engage it at a lower speed to be able to tow the long up hills in the alps when not able to overtake and run slowly behind all the big trucks... I put a trailer hitch on my 1991 Maserati 222 4v., my E46 M3 cabriolet and now on my Jag XK8 convertible to tow my little race boat which I have had for the last twenty one years. It works actually very well on the Jag which has an automatic transmission, but I lock it in 2nd or 3rd if going uphill as it make much less stress on the torque converter and the oil does not get that hot. Best of luck with your Rolls towing your cars. It sure will look like an enthusiast on the move! And nice Borbet C rims on your trailer...

Now let’s stay on topic here :)

I made a note on our Norwegian Ferrari enthusiast Facebook group. Let’s see what happens...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bas likes this.