Haynes to discontinue Owners' Workshop Manuals? | FerrariChat

Haynes to discontinue Owners' Workshop Manuals?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Gatorrari, Nov 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I have seen an unconfirmed report that the new owners of Haynes Publishing are going to discontinue the Owners' Workshop Manuals and all other printed books, with existing stock to be sold off until it's gone, and no new releases. If that's so, and you want any of these books, you'd better get them now! (The Formula E book is not yet published, and apparently won't be.)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gary Sandberg, NürScud and Il Tifoso like this.
  2. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    What a shame. Great books!

3. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    My guess is that they will have the entire inventory on-line and sell subscriptions or downloads. No reason to print books for the market they chase.

Rosey likes this.
  4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    End of an era.

5. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I would have thought that market is exactly one which would want printed books. If you're underneath an oily car trying to work out which pipe is which then a cheap book you don't mind getting dirty is exactly want you want.

6. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I would tend to agree but I'm old school. If you go to any dealership....there are no books. Everything is on-line. Their argument it is a lot easier to update online than publish a new edition for distribution. Add to that most teenagers consume content on line......the printed technical book era is over. Just an example, I have a Service Manual of every car I own on my Ipad. Plus a number of LG HVAC system manuals that I use every few months or so.

What I liked about Haynes is that they took a car apart and put it back together to make the book. That practical knowledge captured tricks of the trade not usually found in Service Manuals.

Rosey likes this.
  7. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Definitely i need 4 of these.

Jesus....

8. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Whilst I understand your point, Haynes were making money publishing these books so it seems bizarre to buy the company and more-or-less immediately stop. I could understand if they put they put the content on-line and then got to the point where the print versions stopped making money but that isn't the case as far as I'm aware.

Also, a lot of the recent publications are "fake" manuals for things like the Starship Enterprise where the logic of print vs on-line is different.

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Were it not for Haynes and Chiltons, I'd never have learned diddly squat about fixing a car. Young and poor, these books were the ONLY way I could figure out how to fix stuff on whatever POS car I was driving at the time. No way I could pay a shop for repairs back then. I even changed my first engine (Mercury Capri v6) using one of these books and it worked out perfectly.

Didn't Haynes buy Chiltons? Isn't it all owned by Disney? (too lazy to search :p)

Jedi

10. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I just ordered a Haynes and a Chilton for my Dodge Ram 2500. They were pushing the on-line version pretty hard. They never made one for the F355.....that would have been a fun read.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I sent Infopro an email suggesting that they delay the termination of Haynes until June, which would include publishing and doing a single print run for all the new releases that Haynes had already announced. I also suggested that they should consider the option of releasing these as ebooks instead, which would keep the material available without them worrying about production, distribution or storage costs. And I also suggested that they consider selling off the "Practical Lifestyle" manuals (as Haynes describes the books shown above and other similar titles) to another British book publisher. I don't have high hopes that it will do any good, but I figured I at least needed to try.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Sorry to disagree. I do know excellent (official Ferrari factory) dealerships that have many dozens if not hundreds of books and actually use them as well.

I have never seen a dealership where teenagers are working.......especially not in the technical and service department.

Marcel Massini

Lusso123 and Rosey like this.
  13. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Marcel,

With respect....I grew up working as a mechanic in Ford Dealerships during the 1970s where the only thing we had was books (I was 18). The biggest game changer was when Technical Service Bulletins went online via Compuserve in the early 1980s. For the first time mechanics could share what problems they were finding and how to fix them. Ford HQ coordinated the effort and the industry moved from paper/telephone calls to the beginnings of the online revolution. Virtually every recall/repair was documented which made ordering parts and actually doing the repair a lot more productive. It also moved vehicle history from a room full of filing cabinets to the online world.

We used to have 2-3 people that did noting all day except update manuals. The parts department moved from microfiche and paper catalogs to online inventory during the 1990s and no one worried about paper any longer.

Once upon a time in the US we used to have three inch thick books delivered to your house called the Yellow Pages. Insane by today's standards.

I like actual books but their days are waning. Ferrari Service Manuals are collector/restoration items which put them in a different category altogether.

The topic is Haynes books which I have used all my life to fix cars. I can appreciate that most teenagers don't work on cars any longer and those that do are restricted to what they can legally do to the car ....at least in the US. Haynes knows this and has watched their business decline year over year. They bought Chilton and have watched that decline as well.

14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    RIP books... I for one will miss you.

INRange likes this.
  15. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    It is a shame; still I have a printer and if I buy another manual the first thing I will do is press the print button!!

As to kids in the garage; it was good too see the mechanic who has worked on my cars had a little shadow last time in an apprentice. The mechanic tended to do the older cars; what an apprenticeship; if I didn’t have a mortgage I’d apply!!!!! I’m popping in next week to drop a case of bubbly so I’ll ask them about books etc, it’s an interesting subject.

16. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

Thank you for the update. I do have the relevant Ferrari books, but have now added some additional marques, thanks to your info.

I am probably very old school. But I very much enjoy a physical book in my lap with a favourite beverage and or dog/cat beside me during an inside day, with a fire in the woodstove.