Hello Harley | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Hello Harley

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by boxerman, Oct 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    Well, it depends on the bike line, actually.
    The "Dyna" line (now defunct,) was "cheapened" about 2012.
    The "FL" line, about 2014
    The "Softie" line? About 2012.
    The "Sportster" line, ironically, seems to be the "best built" using good quality parts, still.
    I don't really have information regarding the "Street" series.

And yes, you are correct about using cheaper parts as a cost per unit savings. While this doesn't bode well for the MOCO's future, the board/stockholders won't care as they aren't in it for any longhaul time frame. (Get in, get it, then get OUT.) Sad to see a viable company being taken like the AMF days...
    For the record~
    I've bought 3 new HD's over the years. (1995,1996,2016.)
    Had the 1995 for 21 years and a quarter million miles. Probably still running great.
    Had the 1996 for 5 years, and about 11,000 miles. This one IS still running great.
    Had the 2016 for 4 years, and 21,000 miles. This one has had MAJOR mechanical problems since 6400 miles. (I sawed the rear wheel in half by grenade d wheel bearings...) Then grenade d the compensator at 20,600 miles.)

Done with HD's experimentation of substandard parts. (But, they DO look beautiful in the showroom.) Just don't ride 'em...

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Its nice looking but it needs mid controls I think. It wouldn't be a touring bike in that rider position so the mids would work, the forward controls are good for a bar hopper like my 82 wide glide

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Agreed, no forward controlls.
    On my sprotster 48 moved the controlls to mid controlls before I ever rode it..
    This new harley in theory is going to have a lot more performance, 140 hp moto,r modern frame etc, mid controlls are a must.
    Still compared to the "bronx" and "cafe racer" this bike actualy looks good and inspired without being a throwback.
    Looks even nicer than the indian FTR, that bike being a bit plain once you look at it up close.

This new harley gives me hope.

Alcav5 likes this.
  5. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    You may want to install some brakes on it, you know - just in case stopping interests you. <g>

6. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    I have a 2017 Road Glide Special customized with Ohlins suspension and a Corbin seat, plus many other things I did to it. I'm not into bling and show, I set it up for ride quality and comfort. i have to say, I enjoy it - and its been less problematic than the many BMW's I've had in the garage. The factory suspension is junk, and so is the seat. Fix those and you get a pretty decent ride. It's fun - and motorcycles should be fun. This is my 43rd motorcycle over fifty-one years. I used to race 'em, now at age 66 I just like to cruize.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Zcobra1, Texas Forever and Alcav5 like this.
  7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Now if they build this I'll camp outside a dealer to get one and I dont like to camp!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NMNMNMN, Texas Forever and boxerman like this.
  8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    "Headlight, tail light, turn signals, 3 disc brakes and a starter....Done."

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sat in my stock seat for 900 mile days a few times and zero complaints. It is dead now and going for another stock seat. Agree on Olins. SFPD tossed their BMWs years ago because of so many issues. Went back to Harley and the entire motor division kissed Willie Browns feet for it.