458 bettery Details | FerrariChat

458 bettery Details

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F485, Nov 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    Greetings F passionates

Could you please share the 458 battery Details/size/amp?

Do you recommend the dealer one?

Or

Can you suggest other options that fit to the car?

I think my battery needs to be changed

Appreciated

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
  3. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    F485 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  4. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    There are LOTS of threads on here about batteries. The general consensus is, as Il Co-Pilota says, do not buy the factory product. After that there is no real consensus, products mentioned (to help you for searching) include Braille, Antigravity along with a number of standard technology batteries along with conversations about keeping the car/battery on tender and various 3rd party, like CTEK, tenders.

F485 likes this.
  5. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just replaced mine last week, it was a pretty straight forward process. I didn’t buy the fancy battery or the Ferrari branded but found several local options that were the exact same design and cc’s as the original spec for right at $200

Solid State likes this.
  6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    For AGM—Odyssey! Cheaper and much better than FIAMM! “Fogget about it!”
    For 29 pound weight savings and less trickle charging and being able to sleep thru the night without worrying if your car will start—Braille

F485 likes this.
  7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The Braille i48CS is the top of the line battery, but it isn't cheap. But it's the best you can get for the 458.

Outside of that, Costco sells a good battery which will work in the 458. I think it's about $120 or so last time I checked. If you don't want to go the Lithium route, I'd buy the one Costco offers and call it a day.

As mentioned, avoid the dealer and their OEM junk.

Ray

up4speed and F485 like this.
  8. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I am getting a new battery on Friday. The factory battery in my 2019 488 is dying. I trickle charge it all the time but I did not own the car for the first year so I do not know how the battery was treated. If left off the trickle for a day or 2 it get low and I get error codes. I was testing this to see if I could take a trip in the car...nope.

I plan on having my car for another 2 yrs MAX...hopefully only 1 more year...so I just could not bring myself to spend $2500 on the Lithium Braille battery and the need to modify the magnetek charge port on my 488 bumper to accept the special Lithium trickle charger.

So I am getting an Interstate AGM battery 45lbs so same weight as factory but better built and crank amps. My local Independent shop stock this battery and uses it with great success and my deal on it is $200 and they will install it for cheap so on Friday I say have at it.

F485 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Antigravity is/was having a Black Friday sale. Whatever you get, the suggested size is H6.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

F485 likes this.
  10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Get any 74 amps AGM and DIY … for far under $ 200 … ::)

In my thread below you can read how I did that.

mdrums and F485 like this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I really don't understand the idea behind having a Ferrari and getting the absolute cheapest battery possible. I fully understand why one might ot want to spend 2500 usd on a battery, but while you might be able to get some generic battery you don't know the actual life span of for less than 200, with a car like this, I cannot wrap my head around not spending a bit more and getting something that is sure to give you worry-free driving. Not all batteries are created equal, and if you buy the cheapest battery you can, chances are that after less than two years you are back at square one. Spending 150 bucks more will give you something that will last a lot longer and remain reliable.

Melvok, F485 and mdrums like this.
  12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Agree...I’m installing a new battery Friday. I was really thinking Lithium....but...I’m not keeping this car longer than years from now...I’m not going to feel a 20lb difference driving on the street or even a quick tree laps on a track day. The Braille is $2500....Anti Gravity I think is close to $2k... so I went with a Interstate H6 AGM. So..that’s my thoughts on this. If I was keep this car for 5 or more years I’d do a Lithium. Plus with the Lithium Id have to re-rig the magnets on bumper charge port to accept the new Lithium charger is my understanding...so I just wasn’t feeling up to investing the time and money into swapping to lithium.

Melvok and F485 like this.
  13. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Lithium from antigravity about 1K$.

Don’t know why the magnets would have anything to do it with tho...

The only thing you miss with the lithium is never having to put it in the charger... and no weird error messages!

SV

F485 and Need4Spd like this.
  14. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    Thank you Brothers. All appreciated for your kind replies as i need latest updates from you. I dont think i have similar brands in Emirates but i can check something similar and best quality with similr features. I was just concerned when i asked the dealer and an approved shop which they recommend only the ferarri brand and to avoid any issues. I checked even the old threads and noone has issues with other battery brands when it fits like the original one. Even one of my friends has a lambo and installed similar battery but not the dealerone and all is good!

Based on feedbacks, I would recommend getting AGM same features, rechargeable, anitleak, etc as the battery technology is getting updates.
    We have bosch, varta battery and great quality brands which it has similar features.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Melvok likes this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Mike the Antigravity lists at 949 for the 60ah version, not 2000. https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/automotive/ag-h6-rs/

If you want AGM the Braille B7548 is between 339 usd online. Cheap for what you get.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-braille-parts/braille-batteries-b7548/b7548~brl/

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Don’t buy another FIAMM ! That’s the best advice.

Melvok likes this.
  17. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    It has to do with the + &- of the battery lead connectors...they are reversed if you get a Pista with Lithium vs AGM battery I was told and have read.

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    They are not reversed. If you get an Antigravity H6 battery for the 488 and a Ctek Lithium XS, you just need one of these.
    I use it on the Lusso, zero issues.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ctek-Ferrari-Battery-Charger-Conditioner-Adapter-Cable-Magnetic-Type-/182967461758
    If you install an Antigravity in a Pista, you just keep using the lithium charger you get with the car. The battery itself, is a H6 style battery with + on the right and - on the left. If you for instance order an F8 with the lithium option, then you just get the battery and a charger for it, but it bolts in the exact same way as the AGM battery.

Need4Spd, mdrums and SVCalifornia like this.
  19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I ordered the lithium battery option for the F8 spider, but was later told that the option had been withdrawn by the factory. No explanation.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Ferrari Factory uses European AGM batteries themselves in all their vehicles so WHY NOT ?

Do they use the " the absolute cheapest battery possible " in new Ferrari's as you say ?

F485 likes this.
  21. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Whatever you get, make sure it has the provision to secure the circuit board to the battery case. I know the Interstate does, not sure about the other brands.

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What?! What on earth does this have to do with anything?
    Ferrari uses a battery made by FLAMM, and they use one of extremely low quality and one that is probably as cheap as can be. Just because Ferrari charges too much, why would you continue making the same mistake? These cars are not only sensitive to low voltage conditions, they have systems that leach hard off of the battery. Ferrari should be ashamed for what they do.
    And when you install the absolute cheapest crap.you can find, you run the risk of making the same mistake Ferrari makes. A battery like the Braille AGM does not cost a fortune, but it is tried and tested technology, and it makes it possible to enjoy the car a lot more. I really don't understand your reasoning and logic. I could understand it if it was massively expensive. But 339 usd vs-200-250? Don't you understand why making the same dumb mistake Ferrari is making is so silly, when for all intended purposes it is so cheap to remedy? We spend hundreds of thousands on these cars and you recommend going cheap over getting the trouble-free enjoyment Ferrari SHOULD have provided us with in the first place. I'm stumped

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I have it in writing from Ferrari Maranello that those are not a must.

24. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Interesting....there was a few posts on here about the magnet issue...maybe I misread it or they didn’t know what they were talking about. I’ll try to search it out later.

25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Even IF the Pista have reversed poles on the charge plug, it does not matter. If you change the Pista battery with an Antigravity, you just keep using the charger you already have. The Pista only came with a lithium battery and it's a H6.

If you install ANY H6 battery being it a Lithium or AGM in an F8 or 488, there is no reversing of poles. A H6 battery always have the positive terminal on the right. If it did not, it would not be an H6. The Ctek adapter is made to work with the standard polarity and thus it is business as usual.

IF Ferrari has switched polarity on the charge plug on the Pista, then that could be a tiny, and I do mean, tiny issue if one were to install an AGM in a Pista. Not because the battery will not bolt in, because it will, but because then the charge plug needs to be reversed as a new charger is needed. But all you have to do is get the adapter I linked, cut it, solder the two wires opposite, heat shrink and bob's your uncle. This would only be the case for a Pista if reverting tovAGM, and only if in fact the plug has reversed polarity.

If you get any of the aftermarket H6 batteries, no matter the type, then you just need that adapter. The batteries themselves are not reversed, ever. It would not even be legal to even sell an H6 battery in the EU with reversed polarity.

I your case being it the 488 or an F8 down the line, a lithium swap is plug and play

mdrums likes this.