What's For Dinner? | Page 612 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Dorado = mahi mahi = dolphin (the fish, not Flipper!). I didn't know any of that info until I just looked it up!

I did the mahi in my aluminum pan. Little EVOO, got it hot to smoking point and really hardly any sticking. I was pleasantly surprised. Cooked it with cumin, S & P, garlic powder and a squirt of lime juice...T

2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

3. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    You caught the fisherman in me. Have reeled in a few of those absolutely beautiful green fish. They loose their color within minutes but a striking green and yellow colored fish. Real eye candy when just in. Great just how you cooked them. I marinate taco sized strips in avocado oil, cumin, S & P, garlic and onion powder, etc. super hot skillet and done in 2-3 minutes. enjoy!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    o_OAnd no....that's not me!!

wax and TexasF355F1 like this.
  5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Fish? What fish? I don't see no fish in that picture! :eek:
    T

arizonaitalian, wax and BrettC like this.
  6. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    Nice how the bikini matches the fish...or did the fish match its' coloration to the bikini. Ah, the wonders of science... I better look again...in the interest of science of course.

tomc likes this.
  7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    https://jesspryles.com/recipe/smoked-jalapeno-dip/

Searching for something to do with the jalapeños I smoked over the weekend. Ran across this.

I didn't add her special rub as I don't have any, and I have plans for the little cream cheese we have in the fridge. Regardless, this is good stuff. Just the right heat level for me. I'm sure those with more asbestos tongues could smoke hotter peppers and add to or replace the jalapeños

I'm kicking myself for not making this last night for those fish tacos.

T

8. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    Thanks for the link Tom - that looks pretty yummy! Do you make your own seasonings, or do you buy premade stuff? I've done it both ways - currently using Meat Church seasonings which are pretty good. Might give her seasonings a go though - they look pretty good too!

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My pleasure. For Q, I don't use exotic herbs and rubs and such. Salt, pepper, sometimes garlic powder (usually for tri tip), less often something like cumin. Less stuff to detract from the meat and wood smoke flavor IMO. When we moved to Texas and I got a smoker, we visited a lot of famous bbq joints, read up on the subject, and chatted with folks & most of the sources we looked at really didn't use much beyond S&P. So, I have gone the less is more route.

If I use sauces, it is usually just after the fact as a dipping sauce.

I try to pair the right wood with different meats, and I think that helps when you keep the spices simple. Oak - beef, pecan & oak - poultry, alder - fish.

I've also taken to going heavy smoke early and finish in the oven. That really has made a big diff in being able to dial in the final internal temp I'm looking for.

That's my system!

T

I.T. Guy and wax like this.
  10. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #15285 Frank_C, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    First generation dago- homemade of course, everything is eyeballed. 50:50 beef/pork (can't get veal in this one horse oil patch town I live in). I like a lot of garlic and prefer romano rather than parmesan when cooking and whatever soft white bread I have around. (This batch I used 2 hamburger buns.). I bake for 30 min and let them sit in sauce before we eat them. Sit, not cook in sauce. Between the baking, white bread and not overcooking they come out wonderfully soft.

Sauce is just garlic, tomatoes (San Marzano) S&P. I like to caramelize a Tsp or so of paste while I cook the garlic.

PS we use a lot of garlic. If recipes call for 2 cloves, we use- 8-10.

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    From The Gospels

Frank 1:1

Amen.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

tomc likes this.
  12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Apologies. Looping back to this. Two of my favorite short rib recipes are posts #1291 and #1380 in this thread.

If you extend to the sliced, flanken-style ribs, see post # 1162, pipikaula beef...T

wax likes this.
  13. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    arizonaitalian likes this.
  14. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I got a meat lovers pizza from a local joint close to my house. It was o.k........................... I should have gotten the burger special at our local chain. Tonight its Kirkland Angus patties on the grill.

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Gents - those 3 posts were over 15,000 posts ago.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

NbyNW likes this.
  16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    They're still gooooood though! :)
    In fact, you got me looking online to see if our favorite Kroger has any!

Let me cut & paste...

"Tonight homemade tomato sauce. Took two grass fed short ribs that I had in freezer, seared them, salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic, a bit of cumin, paprika, chili powder. Saute onions & onions in that oil after setting aside short ribs. Once onions translucent, throw short ribs back in, add small can tomato paste, one medium can tomato sauce, and then enough water to 3/4 cover meat. Cooked from mid way though second quarter of Cowboys game until end of later games. Remove ribs. Use stick blender to puree sauce. Pour on top of cooked pasta, a little parmesan, some red pepper, stuff your hump...T

"...I've found Giada's recipes to be good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/braciole-recipe.html

For short rib variant: sweat carrots, celery, onions, garlic in EVOO. Add S&P. Set aside. Brown the short ribs in the flavored EVOO, after dusting them with AP flour. Pile the sweated veggies back in to the pot, pour in enough tomato sauce to half cover, add splash of good red wine. Simmer for two football games. Enjoy over pasta...T

"My prep is not traditional, since my wife will not let me air dry them in the sun, or deep fry them in oil. So, I marinate beef in shoyu (or sugar + soy), garlic, & ginger for 24 hours. I prefer flanken style ribs. Then I cook them low & slow in a BGE, atop a plate setter (I prop the ribs up with a Weber rib rack), for as long as I can stand it. Typical loss to requisite chef sampling is in the one-quarter to one-third range. :) When they're done like you like 'em, remove & serve The longer they're on, the more jerky-like they become...T"

17. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

What’s with all the words?! We need pics!

arizonaitalian likes this.
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That was five years ago! Cut me some slack! I don't think I had a decent camera phone. I was probably pulling a Max and only had a flip phone!

Here's some pics. Albeit more recent.

Cucuzza noodles. Much much better than zucchini. I use a spiral slicer and then sauté in a scorching hot pan so they don't get soggy. EVOO, salt and pepper.

Costco prime beef tenderloin from a few nights ago.
    I thought this was artsy!

Smoked burgers tonight. Place in East Texas does them. This is my interpretation.
    About 15 min of oak smoke. Finish on a hot carbon steel pan about 1 min per side. I finished mine with the smoked jalapeño dip I made two nights ago.

T

arizonaitalian and NbyNW like this.
  19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    arizonaitalian and NbyNW like this.
  20. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  21. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Homemade Cavatell with the machine I got from Philly, Parmigiano Reggiano, cream,
    broccolini.
    On top some quick cured diced tomatoes, Speck Alto Adige with a scooch of fresh California olive oil, pepper

OMG I think this is the best dish I made in years, totally over the top in flavor

xoxo

wax, arizonaitalian, tomc and 2 others like this.
  22. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Blood clams with several dipping sauces. Actually best with just salt and the juice inside the shell . Image Unavailable, Please Login

God, we love those clams. And yes, they aren't open...gotta pry the lil suckers.
    My fav garlic bread, toast, scratch with a garlic clove, evoo and s & p.

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lovely. Never heard of "quick cured diced tomatoes."
    Need to read up on that...T

SoCal1 likes this.
  24. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm doing a simple dinner tonight. I twisted my ankle a few weeks ago. Just re-twisted it at the park. Not as bad, can still walk. Just don't feel like going out and getting something. So doing Kirkland pesto over linguine.

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You're getting clumsy in your old age!

Made chicken jalfrezi tonight. Forgot to take pics. ☹️

T

max930 likes this.