Solo Sailor. How big is too big? | FerrariChat

Solo Sailor. How big is too big?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Texas Forever, Nov 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Go big or go home.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

You should be able to manage a 60' ketch once you take the boating safety class from the Coast Guard. :cool:

Ignore all those guys on deck, those are just freeloaders and drinking buddies. ;)

Don't ya think, Dale?

D

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    On ignore you go, Bub.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Really???

Bueller?

Bueller??

Bueller???

:D

D

4. jimiguy

jimiguy Formula Junior
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2010
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim Shaw
    The Hunter 45 is easily solo-sailed. A few years ago I solo sailed one from Ensenada to Newport Beach. Easy-Peasy.

The West Wight Potter may be the slowest POS I have ever sailed.

As long as you have a roller-furling jib, an easily furled main, all the leads come back to the cockpit and you know what you are doing, you can easily solo sail a 45 footer.

When I got my off-shore certification I had to do a single-handed man overboard drill on a Catalina 38...now that was fun!

BTW, Frank Butler, the founder and owner of Catalina Yachts passed away last week. Awesome guy and a legend to the sailing community!

Jim

Manda racing and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks.

I imagine docking is fun.

6. jimiguy

jimiguy Formula Junior
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2010
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim Shaw
    Docking, even single-handed, is simple, especially if you are docking into the wind. Furl the jib. Backwind the main as you enter the slip and all is good.

If docking downwind (always a bad idea, but sometimes necessary) furl your jib completely and douse your mainsail well before you enter the slip. Throw a sea-anchor and use your forward momentum to guide you into the slip. Of course, you can always cheat and use your engine...

Jim

Texas Forever and tritone like this.
  7. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #8 F456 V12, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Good question, when I was a young adult ~ 14 to 18, my parents had a Nautor Swan 41 with a self furling jib and main. My Dad and with a little help from mom (not much) could manage a day sail without any issues by manually working the sheets. Unlike today which is pretty much much push button, they were able to tack, dock with a little help and moor. They were definitely not setting anything big air - Jennys, Spinnakers, etc.

When we went long distance, many more sails to manage - all the self furling gone - Marblehead to Halifax, Block Island Race Week, Newport to Bermuda, etc, anything less than six, plus dad at the helm would have been impossible.

MB

Texas Forever and jimiguy like this.
  8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I dunno. I'm just thinking of chucking it all. Fantasy perhaps. But heading to the sea has a certain appeal.

boxerman likes this.
  9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I keep thinking of one of these krogenexpress.com cause power would work better for wife and fuel consumption low.
    Then i think a 45 foot cat sailboat has it all, then I think power cat.
    Wife says that lifestyle will need to be done with next wife, and my response is my budgets not that big.

Trawler style powerboat around 50ft seems to require 100k per year all in, fuel dockage hauling maintainance etc. You porbbaly need another 50k in food clothes etc. An equivalent cost house in Fl on water is 30-40k in taxes, plus 20k in maintanance and would appreciate not depreciate over time. Lifestyle costs would be higher cause you need two cars, fun boat, travel more food.

Sailboat is what 50K per year or less, plus input cost lower so depreciation lower. But harder going to live aboard unless you have a younger asian or european wife who grew up on water?

davem, BigTex and Texas Forever like this.
  10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    A freind just took off for two months on his lagoon 45. Wife on board but he does all the sailing and boat stuff.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I used to do lots of offshore, from Cali. Mexico and 2x TransPac. Many friends in the community. Only 2 did the "chuck it all" thing to go permanently offshore. Both came back within 2 years; done, finished. We agreed probably because the 'work ethic' that got them to that point in life won out over the 'sameness' of many many days at sea (punctuated of course by moments of sheer storm-driven terror:D).
    And for what its worth, you better be working out daily beforehand to cope with the physical exertion of running that 40+ footer 24/7/365 all by yourself, whether you feel like it or not that morning.....o_O

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks. But this would not be live abroad. Just crusin.

13. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Wha?

14. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Ok, now I am confused. 'Just cruising' as in weekends and overnights or just day trips that end where they start?

I would have a laser or a Hobie cat for day sailing.

15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Longest trips would be say for a month or two. Just noodling around the gulf coast. Go from Pensacola to the Keys with stops for fishing and visiting what few friends I have.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Nothing under 80' is too big. It is all in how the boat is set up. I would go no less than 35' personally and tend towards 45-50 if I was solo. I like to have a little room. I like to have some speed available (hull length = speed). The most difficult part of larger boats is docking. Most of the time, there are folks on docks that will help, as do bow and stern thrusters. But, as I said, a properly set up boat (for solo sailing) is the key!

Texas Forever and MWHC4S like this.
  17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This is somewhat counter intuitive. Does a longer hull length mean more sail area?

18. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Sail plan is influenced by many factors, hull length is one of them.

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Interesting.

20. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I grew up on sailboats but when I turned 40 ........20+ years ago it became powerboats. There is no joy to taking a sailboat out by yourself for long periods of time at least for me. Running any boat around the clock by yourself is just not a good mental experience. Once upon a time National Geographic funded a solo adventure of one Robin Lee Graham in the 1970s and I thought sailboats were the perfect way to see the world.

Overtime, only one of my friends actually enjoyed sailing and made it fun. Most just weren't interested in taking a few days off to be on a sailboat. Women on the other hand preferred powerboats because you can drive them anywhere and they have all the amenities of a house. I still like to sail but nothing replaces a powerboat when it comes to bringing the second wife and her friends along.

Cost of ownership isn't that different between sail/power and getting to where you want to go is a lot more consistent. I have a lot of friends with trawler style (diesel, that consume very little fuel) boats that cruise 180 days out of the year. In any case, in my opinion 40-45 feet is the sweet spot for either power or sale.

21. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #22 LightGuy, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    There are quite a few catamarans set up for solo in the 45' to 50' arena. Power winches, auto furlers etc.
    I asked the same question on a Catamaran board a few years ago (the wife has made it abundantly clear any long term sailing adventures would be done solo) and the consensus was to find the SMALLEST cat that I would be comfortable with. IE 38 or 40 for world cruising. But what the hell do these people know right ? ;)
    Bigger boat = bigger expenses and more maintenance.
    Also consider age.

But my current dream machine;
    https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2011/alibi-54-3641922/

I saw its sister ship in Thailand a few years ago and was completely blow away (ahem).

22. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Just saw this thread, We lived on a lake in Texas and I had a 41 foot Yawl, it was a handful to sail solo, Yet I have sailed 50 foot sloops solo, so I would say its the configuration of the boat as opposed to the size of the boat. Now that I live away from the water (temporarily) I sail a Cat 22 so I can trailer it around. Are you going to berth this boat in the gulf?

I have a slip down on Clearlake sitting empty :)

23. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Catalina 22 or a 22' catamaran?

24. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004