1984 400i 5Speed..New Owner | FerrariChat

1984 400i 5Speed..New Owner

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by VABENE, Nov 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VABENE

VABENE Rookie

May 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Liam G.
    #1 VABENE, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Hello everyone..just sharing my new 22k mile 400i 5Speed from 1984..bought it yesterday for 50K from original owner here in Beverly Hills,..hope it was an OK deal as I don't know much about the market on those,,.always appreciated the radical understatement of these,..a true gentleman GT..will bring it up to date and plan to drive it regularly.happy holidays,Liam Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JOEV and ttforcefed like this.
  2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Welcome Liam and congrats on your beautiful 400... it is a rare bird indeed with the 5 speed and California legal. I’d say you got a smoking deal. Will it be staying in CA? Congrats again - looks great!

Ruben

VABENE likes this.
  3. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Well done.
    I have been watching the recent prices as mine is to be on the block very soon. A car similar to yours just sold for $75k. I think I prefer yours.

VABENE likes this.
  4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Hah! My 50679 was also imported by William Randa and federalized by JTS International--and also lived much of its early life in Beverly Hills! I'd love to go back in time and stop JTS from drilling holes in the sides for the side markers, but alas.

Like yours, my car was originally sold by Ch. Pozzi in Paris.

VABENE likes this.
  5. VABENE

VABENE Rookie

May 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Liam G.
    thanks guys, yes car will be staying with me here in LA,..also I was wondering about these cromodora wheels as I have never seen them like that with the black "fill in",..was that an aftermarket thing? L.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Liam,

Congratulations on your car and thank you for posting pictures include the chassis number (50955)! Your car looks great and I think your acquisition was well bought! I wish you all the best with your car!

Cheers,

Sam

VABENE likes this.
  7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    More an early 80's thing -- many 308i-2V got the same wheel treatment.

bjwhite and VABENE like this.
  8. VABENE

VABENE Rookie

May 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Liam G.
    thanks for that info!

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Exactly what I was going to say. I'd return them to full silver if they were mine.

VABENE and Schumi like this.
  10. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    That said, I do not believe the black centers were factory spec’d... can anyone confirm?

Congrats again Liam - great buy and great that it’s staying in CA. If ever in NorCal (Bay Area) let me know... would be good to get together with my 86 412 5 speed (also CA BAR legal).

Ruben

VABENE likes this.
  11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #11 Steve Magnusson, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Agree -- some discussion here about it being a US dealer addition, but no reason an Owner couldn't do it themself if they wanted to:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/138416247

Not a fan of it myself, but do think it looks best on black coachwork cars like the OP's 400i. Also, seems to be some variation with it done only to fill in the spokes or done to fill in the spokes and the lugbolt/center cap area as evidenced by other photos in that thread.

VABENE and Il Tifoso like this.
  12. dkyranakis

dkyranakis Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2013
    Centreville, DE
    Full Name:
    Demetri Kyranakis
    Liam, Congrats!!! She’s a beauty! Would love to have this car in my fleet. I am searching for a manual transmission 400i As we speak if anyone else has a nice car for sale. Hope to add one to join my 512 TR, Testarossa and Mondial T coupe :).

Demetri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VABENE and Il Tifoso like this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Someone painted them. It’s not original nor an option I seen
    Some black tr done like that too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #14 raemin, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Well my paint-shop did it a few months ago on my car. The painter was supposed to refinish the rims and cooked this up with the blessing of my daughter... Not sure i will keep it: does look good "in person" not so much on a photo.

Not sure about your Glasurit Sticker: I've got the same paint code sticker and I can tell for sure my car did not left the factory with what's written on this sticker. (I must confess I bought the paint sticker from superformance.co.uk). Older 400 (such as mine) were having other type of stickers. I do not remember when Ferrari switched to Glasurit.

You should investigate these two frequency valves: these are emission control devices that were retrofitted. There is quite some pressure in this system: plumbing ls "so-so", the hoses were replaced (you should have some Cohline/plastic hoses here), cabling also shows its age. From personal experience, modifications made by the local dealers have always been a source of endless gremlins in these cars!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you plan on keeping the emission control system, you should consider "bridging" these two lines in order to equilibrate the control pressure of the two systems (this would reduce the risk of having one bank too rich while starving the other one). The pressure bridge was performed by the factory on numerous 400, and would compensate "unmatched" frequency valves. You basically connect the two WUR together as per the 400i 1979 parts catalogue. Sorry diagram is not showing the second WUR (under the oil hose n°6).

Nice colour combo...

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I suspect something here. What size are your tires?

16. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Adding comments: they actually did quite a "porky" job in the end. They re-used the pressure bridge in order to insert the frequency valve on a second return line that is directly tapped to the return line toward the fuel tank (orange circle). That's the reason why you do not have the bridge.

I would have expected the frequency valve to be placed on the "blue" line which would have ensured that the "hot start" pressure valve is not by-passed. When the engine is stopped, this valve together with the accumulator keeps the pressure in the system for "hot start". If you frequency valves are leaking hot-sart will be a pain. The pressure valve is located on the fuel distributor next to the orange circle between the small banjo and big banjo.

17. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #17 Steve Magnusson, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    No, the opposite is true. If the emission system is kept in place, the two control pressures have to be independent of each other (so that each frequency valve only affects the control pressure of the fuel distributor that it is connected to as each fuel distributor has its own O2 sensor in the exhaust stream providing a signal to its own ECU running the frequency valve -- i.e., each bank is a separate closed-loop system). If the emission additions are removed, then connecting the two control pressures together to give an "average" identical control pressure to each bank is OK (i.e. -- OK for an open-loop system).

Newman and bjwhite like this.
  18. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Im betting a QV wheels conversion.

jimpo1 likes this.
  19. G8TD

G8TD Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Great looking car!

20. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Regarding the Glasurit sticker, the switch from Italver to Glasurit paints for the 400i occurred late 1983, so the sticker is correct. Further, according to Ferrari Market Letter, 50955 had black metallic paint when for sale in 1984 ("FML, 1 Dec 1984, 1984, black metallic with camel int., USD 72,000, Exotic Fantasies, 213/859-8900 (CA)") . So I don't doubt the paint shade and sticker are original. 50955 would have been completed early 1984.

21. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Pretty hard to get TRX tires on those Dave....

22. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Duh!
    Thats exactly the point. I’m wondering if those are QV wheels which is why they are blacked out. Pretty common conversion.

23. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    So you're saying that someone put TRX tires on a set of painted 16" QV wheels? :) Not happening. (I know you weren't saying that, but the "duh" comment wasn't needed). So, my comment was basically--look closely at the tires themselves. They are TRX. So thus, they aren't QV wheels.
    The blacking out has happened to many a Cromodora Daytona--in all their guises.

Here was a 79 308 GT4 with its 14" wheels painted this way. I've seen many others done in the same way over the years.

24. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ok Brian, apparently you see my words as an opportunity to fight. Sorry dude, I’m at the ranch and working from a cell phone. Sorry my equipment isn’t as good as yours. I can’t tell those are TRX tires. Many guys mounted QV wheels after My friend Alex Leventhal showed everyone how to do it years ago. They looked like QV wheels to me. Please pardon me for not responding to your satisfaction. I’ll be more careful to post in a way that meets your approval in the future.

25. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White