348 - Market speculation 348 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Market speculation 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by Austin Newman, Oct 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Correct but they were an OEM option. Perhaps dealer option but an option none the less.

albert328gts likes this.
  2. Ferrarimondial348

Ferrarimondial348 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Your statement is unfortunately incorrect. Only the limited production (50 cars) 348 GT Competizioni left the factory with Cloisonné Scuderia shields as standard. None of the road going 348 variants from 1989 - 1995 with the exception of the aforementioned GTC were fitted with shields. No factory SKU was created to add shields as an option during assembly, nor was there an OEM part number at any authorized Ferrari dealer. Any shields you see on a 348 are aftermarket. The option to add factory shields became available during mid production of the 355 series.

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Soooo they were a dealer option. Not at time of 348 purchase. However a person could drive their 348 to the dealer say please install OEM shields the dealer would do so in mid 1997ish or there bouts. Good clarification, thankyou.

4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Mmmm, I don’t think so other than the plastic stick on ones.

There is a recess in the front wings to which the shields sit. Other than custom panel beating recesses into the panels or fitting 355 wings with recessed (I think they fit the 348) you won’t be fitting enamel shields.

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ok this is great information.

6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Only the 348 Competizione got Scuderia badges from the factory. And no as A348W mentioned, the 355 Scuderia badges are recessed into the front fenders (wings) of the 355s that came with them. I supposed one could replace the fenders--I know it's been done before on 355s for a "correct" conversion, but still.

But that 348 Competizione was the only 348 with them from the factory--and they only did 50 of those.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I get it. My question is could you go to the dealer and have the dealer put them on after the fact. Let's say in 1997.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Using 355 recessed fenders and factory 355 badges? Sure you could. But at that point that's just a modification of a 3 year old used car. Certainly not factory just because a dealer does it.

9. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    I'm sure they would fit resin ones to a 348, as long as you paid them. Most 348s I've seen with shields, including mine, have the resin ones not metal.

10. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    There are some very nice well made metal shields out there if you do some research.
    I have some very nice metal ones and they are epoxied on to the fenders so they will never come off and look fantastic still after almost 14 years now.
    If you like shields and want them just do some research and you can find nice ones and enjoy. If some purist gives you crap about it, screw them its your car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Mine are metal with ceramic.

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  13. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    Buyer got a *scorching* deal. Maybe the first-year, 43K miles, and non-shop major put people off a bit? Were I still looking for my first Ferrari, that would have been the one. A Ferrari that gets driven is always a happier Ferrari, and a knowledgeable amateur service is OK by me, so long as a couple hundred miles have been put on it afterwards.

14. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    I think the buyer pays somewhere around a ~$2k buyer’s fee? Service records only going back to 2010 may have factored in a bit, plus the risk in no PPI, exhaust a little wonky, not much detail on any upgrades and the usual fixes. Overall I think this is about market for this car IMO.

15. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    That car could have been presented far better. The owner did not use a pro photographer and was not really helpful to answer questions. More detail would have really helped that listing. Those are items that really help sell on BAT.

QSA and Michael_Davis like this.
  16. LittleMol

LittleMol Rookie

Dec 15, 2016
    I'm the buyer of the BAT 348. It's currently about to start its journey across the big pond to the Netherlands. Will start a new thread when it has arrived, and we can talk about whether it was a good deal or not.

Definitely will change the wheels for 360s and the exhaust for something more exciting.

QSA likes this.
  17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Machine the 360 rear wheel offset or it can look like a muscle car which then you have to use stretched side walls to hide it, the rid site outside the fender, some like it, and that's fine just be aware it is all.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    Isnt the track narrower by a touch on the earlier cars, so you dont have to machine them? I mean, I have stock 360s on my 95, and I like the way they look peeking out of the well a bit. One would think the earlier cars the wheels wouldn't be as offset out.

19. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    Which one, the red coupe or the black Spider? Either way, welcome to the Brotherhood!

20. LittleMol

LittleMol Rookie

Dec 15, 2016
    The red TS.

Thanks for the advice on the wheels, will make to check it.

Michael_Davis likes this.
  21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No its a common misconception, actually the track is identical. Later cars had a different rear wheel part number where they changed the offset to push the wheels out 25mm. It was a wheel offset change. As far as wheels peeking put yes, some like it and that is fine no criticism there, however one should not assume bolting them on will give it the same stance as a later 348 is all. Nothing worse than spending money on wheels and tires putting them on and saying what the... why did no one mention this is all.

I have 15mm spacers on 355 wheels and the offset is the same as late 348's or early ones with 25mm spacers.

348 wheels are directional with spokes and the later 348 has rears with different offset meaning the 348 has 6 different wheel part numbers.:eek:

Flav3xx likes this.
  22. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    Ahhh, I see. I had always assumed that it was the hub or driveshafts that had a bit added on. Wasn't aware that it ws just a difference in wheel hub thickness. Though that does make a lot of sense, as it would be the easiest way to achieve a bit wider a stance. Not the most elegant way to go it, but certainly the most cost-effective.

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It is elegant though. The 348 and 355 was essentially the same with a-arms and hubs but 355 had 10.5 rims and an offset that pushed the wheels out 10mm to be the same as the later 348. That's the only difference between an early 348 and the last 355 regarding outside wheel dimension, just offset. There is a few inches total play regarding offset to balance the needs of the chassis, it is the role of offset. It's why one cant bolt on any wheel without regard to offset, it matters and affects characteristics. it not just an esthetic thing, although in some car cultures it is purely an aesthetic thing. That's fine too. Room for everyone's tastes and passions.

BTW Hope your enjoying your beautiful Spider.

24. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali
    Could you please let me know where you bought your badges from? I’d love a pair

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric