For Sale - 1984 Ferrari 512 BBi - one owner car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

For Sale 1984 Ferrari 512 BBi - one owner car

Discussion in 'Cars' started by AMG USA, Nov 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Hey, we all work together to make our F'chat community a better place.

msdesignltd, ScottS, NMNMNMN and 3 others like this.
  2. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

One owner but never listed on any BBi registry. Aftermarket seats that only a mother could love. Shield stickers on a $300K car. Being sold by one of the best exotic car dealers no one on F-chat has ever mentioned before.

GLWS.

Joe

3. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    The car looks lowered. I’ve owned/own ultra low mileage Boxers (1650 Km & 2300 Km) also 2000 Km Countach and all had some or complete resprays. The liqueur paint of the 80’ don’t last. There is very little chance with 17000 Km the car has original paint. The front bonnet drill was painted red. A few custom touches makes me think the owner wasn’t exactly a purist out to preserve the originality of the car including it’s body. If the car checks out at that price it’s an excellent buy.

GatorFL and Vance4re like this.
  4. Plexitone

Plexitone Rookie

May 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    Harris Polakoff
    I believe it’s 17000 miles?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Joe, you are making negative comments in a sale thread of a Sponsor who has had multiple listings on this site with hundreds of comments and participants and you are saying negative things about that Sponsor and saying nobody has ever heard of them. It is pretty obvious you are wrong but it is also very disrespectful of someone who is trying to sell a car here. If you want to make negative comments why don't you go to the P&R section and voice your opinions.

With that, lets get back to focusing on the sale of a beautiful car. [Maybe the mods should delete all of these comments because they really don't belong in this sale thread.]

Gman, lm2504me, ScottS and 11 others like this.
  6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    At one point, I thought I someone over the years Ive been a Ferrari enthusiest, had talked about how is 512 s were all grey market cars ., is that true ?Im thinking not, only maybe the carbed versions ?

Thank you

davemqv likes this.
  7. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    No american side markers..only front euro's leads me to believe the car was imported outside of the 25 year import rule.
    The rear tail lights were not even reversed..so virtually invisible rear at night..very original but an amerisport conversion should have been done..just my opinion.

8. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Having sold many Boxers over the past 30 years, I can say many of them still retain their original paint. I’ve also seen a few late-production injected cars that have body-color louvers on the front clamshell from the factory, as well as a body-color spoiler just behind the roof.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Car was imported when new by its original owner Dennis Kranz.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

LVP488, Il Tifoso and m5shiv like this.
  10. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #35 Terra, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Unlike the EPA emissions mods which had to be corroborated with lab tests, the DOT safety work was essentially “self-enforcing” on the part of the compliance shops back in the day. Only “photographic” evidence needed to be submitted to the DOT. So, for instance, if a given client was adamant about wanting his/her car to remain 100% Euro-looking, all a shop had to do was merely attach the side markers with adhesive tape, and then photograph them without any evidence they actually illuminate, etc.

of2worlds, blu328gts and m5shiv like this.
  11. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Unlikely that the entire car received zero paint work. In most cases at the minimum 25-70% get paint when 40+ years go by with temp fluctuations effecting the low quality Italian paint. It’s virtually impossible especially cars that have over delivery miles to have perfect or near perfect original paint. Crazing paint is usually found in the panels with original paint. We’ve all heard the 1st paint claim only to find some paint work. Problem is 99% can’t tell either way so it really takes some one knowledgeable.

cnpapa24 and GatorFL like this.
  12. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    If someone in CA is serious about this car and is worried about smog issues, I would recommend calling Craig at Fast Cars in Redondo Beach (he is Calder1 on this site). He does these old cars all day long and will know what the applicable CA smog requirements will be. He is also incredibly helpful and I am sure he will be able to immediately tell you what, if anything, needs to be done.

13. albert cortina

Jun 14, 2018
    Just a note..All Boxers were gray market..They were never produced for the US and had to be federalized. My father owned #51339 which had the work done at Amerispec in Danbury, Ct...

14. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I have tan custom made floor mats if you need them.

Not fancy but they are custom cut with trim, to fit the car.

15. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I had an 82....all Speedos were in Kms. The actual mileage on these cars is fungible. The Speedo cable disconnects very easily;I believe its well priced. My only recommendation is to ensure the coolant hoses were replaced with the belt change. Basically the car is bullet proof if taken care of.

4rextc likes this.
  16. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I voiced my opinion that this car doesn't pass the smell test.

I'm now told that my opinion is wrong?

Wow. Just wow.

:(

Jakuzzi likes this.
  17. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Oh come on! You were attacking the dealer in his own sale thread.

Gman, lm2504me, LARRYH and 4 others like this.
  18. Hightower

Hightower Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2016
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Dream car of mine...I've got a ways to go before exploring this price point! GLWS. Car is beautiful in all regards.

cnpapa24 likes this.
  19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Ok I'll bite, just out of curiosity. I've bought a few cars from photos and have done well. Admittedly I'm no 512 expert of any means but nothing strikes me as bad on this car.

One owner but never listed on any registry. I would think multiple owners would make a car more likely to show up on a registry?

Aftermarket seats. Again, no 512 expert. Look like factory seats likely recovered to me? Are they not factory seats or not recovered correctly? I really don't know, but looks somewhat correct to my non expert eye.

Shield stickers. I'm no fan myself but we've seen these things stuck on almost everything so that in itself doesn't mean much to me.

My observations are, it appears exceptionally clean. Paint, glass, trim, wheels very nice. Interior, clean. Engine compartment well presented with no corrosion or other eyesores. Bright plating. IMO even the best detailer doesn't bring a car back from neglect to looking this good.

Doesn't matter to me if the dealer opened yesterday. The car is the car whoever is selling it. Maybe you can see more from me from photos or maybe more would be revealed in person but I'm not getting the same bad vibes from this car as you are.

20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ha then you will be guaranteed to get screwed! authorized Ferrari dealership LOL. that made my day.

21. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Someone go buy it and enjoy it, they are great cars to drive and enjoy.

Not great cars when they sit around for years looking pretty.

I'll be in Vero Beach, Florida in a few weeks, maybe I will take a drive down to have a look.

GLWS.

22. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Who was it that asked me "You don't think Atlantis Motor Group is one of the best exotic dealers in the US?"

Who was it that asked me "What are you sniffing?"

You guys asked me those questions and I'm attacking the dealer?

Joe

Jakuzzi likes this.
  23. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #48 raider1968, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2020
    No they are attacking you and your obnoxious posts

RonH likes this.
  24. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I agree with Ron. If the car has a "50 state" sticker, as all post '83 US market Ferrari's should have, then it should pass CA smog no problem no matter where it's from- ideally overseen by a CA based Ferrari tech who knows what they're doing and can replace any missing parts if needed. If it is earlier than the "50 state" stickers and post 1975, and does not have a CA emissions sticker, or is a grey market car as I believe all Boxer's were, then I would contact a CA Ferrari shop who deals in lots of the more expensive cars to make sure they can make it pass. You may end up needing to go through CARB (Calfornia Air Resources Board) to get a BAR sticker, which I understand can be an arduous and expensive process, but I have seen several 400/412's with BAR stickers and there must be a few Boxers out there that have cleared the CA bureaucracy hurdles. Bottom line if I wanted the car in CA, I would put in a call to a well known CA mechanic and see what they thought of it before purchasing. For a 225k car might be worth flying a CA mechanic out to do the PPI.

25. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I agree. I think all BB's were grey market.

LARRYH and 4rextc like this.