Carbonio - Ferrari F458 F1 Challenge Shift Paddles | FerrariChat

Carbonio - Ferrari F458 F1 Challenge Shift Paddles

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Petrolhead#32, Nov 16, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
  2. silver_91

silver_91 Rookie

Oct 31, 2011
    vaughan,on
    Full Name:
    Angelo Savoia
    SECRET likes this.
  3. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Have them. Love them. Sold originals on Ebay to cover part of the cost.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SECRET likes this.
  4. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I have (and love) them in my '07 F430 spider night and day driving difference, as well as aesthetics

5. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Wow seems like a good upgrade worth the $$$!

thx for your feedback

6. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    They are nice....I used to have them.....but if you want wider and longer paddles try the factory "ferrari accessory" oem paddles. They are the like speciale but with cut outs in the middle. I love these paddles...IMO they are the best. Adds to the driving experience.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. veilstylez

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal

Attached Files:

8. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Wow… That cut out really does make a difference. Out of curiosity, what was the cost on those?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. veilstylez

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Looks like carbonio charges $890 for a set which is great. The oem ones were $1100 when I bought them last year. Ebay has one listed for $1450 from a Ferrari dealer.(https://www.ebay.com/itm/FERRARI-OEM-CARBON-F1-SHIFT-PADDLES-458-F12/164200927793?hash=item263b235231:g:HHcAAOSwPYxevr~c)
    Im sure if you call that dealer they will give you a discount with no tax if you ship out of state where as eBay now charges tax no matter what. Or give your local dealer a call. My dealer gives my 20% off on parts.

Also look how the OEM stock paddles are on top of the extended carbonio in this picture. Extended paddles make a huge difference and is 100% worth it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

SECRET and Petrolhead#32 like this.
  10. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Yup, I'm getting these, likely a Xmas gift for myself ;)

I know I'll appreciate them as well.

Thx!

SECRET likes this.
  11. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Thank you for the kind words guys.

We're not really sure why Ferrari cut the slits in their aftermarket paddles. The best we can think of is that it is just a styling detail to differentiate them as an accessory rather than a factory fitted part. We chose to maintain the look of the original paddle while 'growing' them to the larger size.

The longer paddle absolutely transforms the driving experience and our biggest challenge is having people try them. The moment anyone uses them, they wonder why Ferrari did not do it as standard. Also this is NOT a track only modification. There are just as many advantages in everyday driving especially in moderate traffic or lazy cruising.

F-chat members always are extended special pricing too. Just send us a PM and we'll give you a private discount code to use on our website :)

12. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Wow I didn't know you were sponsors. Glad to see this and thx for the offer! ;)

SECRET likes this.
  13. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Yes we have been continuous sponsors of F-Chat since 2009!

It can be tricky as a sponsor because you want people to know you are there but at the same time F-Chat should be a fun diversion so we need to be careful not to post too much where it becomes annoying.

SECRET, Solid State and Need4Spd like this.
  14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Several friends have the Carbonio paddles and love them. I’ve been meaning to get a set but the car has sat a lot this year. First it was the virus, then wildfires, and now it’s cold enough that it’s not easy getting heat into the tires. Soon (hopefully) it will be raining. Can’t wait for 2020 to be over!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

15. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Agreed and appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Carbonio and Need4Spd like this.
  16. Whan

Whan Rookie

Sep 4, 2020
    Marin, CA
    Full Name:
    Will
    I just got around to installing mine and going on a spirited mountain drive - they are awesome. Quality and CF looks identical to OEM. Extended paddles really let you get the advantages of a column mounted paddle, without losing most of the benefit of a steering wheel mounted paddle. I came from an R8 with steering mounted paddles, and the OEM 458 paddles don't let you shift even at a very mild steering angle. This solves that completely

One note - I would consider adding threadlocker to the screws that hold in the paddles, once you put them back in. Not sure if I didn't tighten mine down enough, but they loosened up slightly after my drive, so I had to unscrew, add some loctite and reinstall. I know the screws originally had loctite on them, which might have dried / become less effective after replacing the paddles

SECRET and Carbonio like this.
  17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Curious do you have extended paddles but NOT CARBON. Silver like the OEM standard, not a fan of carbon and dont have any on my 488GTB

18. Avi Das

Avi Das Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Savage458
    Did you have difficulty removing the top screw?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SECRET likes this.
  19. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    We do not have a non-carbon fiber version of our paddles. It has been our experience that the paddles visually tend to live in their own space. As such fitting them to a car that has zero carbon fiber in the interior does not look out of place at all. Unless you are adamantly against carbon I can say with quite some confidence that the improvement in driving is more than worth it. Quite simply once you use the longer paddles you can't go back to the short ones.

Need4Spd likes this.
  20. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    On the 458 removing the top screw is harder than on the 488 (which is dead easy) but not impossible either. Our instructions outline a procedure that makes the process easier and steering wheel removal is not necessary. A few tips:

1. Use a business card to protect between the leather of the steering wheel and the included installation too. Don't be afraid to really force the tool to a near perpendicular (to the screw) position. The leather will bounce back perfectly after a few heat cycles.

2. Once the tool is in place, give it a few firm taps on the end with a small hammer before trying to loosen. This will setup a vibration through the screw making it much easier to loosen.

3. The included tool is a high quality USA or German made tool but it is not made of kryptonite either. Be sure not to apply too much torque when trying to remove the screw to avoid the risk of breaking the tip of the tool. This is rare and normally the product of way too much force and the tool not being vertical enough relative to the screw.

4. Both when removing and re-installing start with the bottom screws first and just have them barely loose before taking on the top screws. This is a big help to keep everything aligned.

5. Always start all screws before applying final torque.

Seems like a lot but it is not. The job on a 488 takes about 5 minutes and on a 458 is maybe 10.

SECRET and Need4Spd like this.
  21. Whan

Whan Rookie

Sep 4, 2020
    Marin, CA
    Full Name:
    Will
    Not really in removal actually. Putting it back was actually the more difficult process, as you'd have to make sure the screw was going straight and not cross threaded. Doable but just needs a little finesse

SECRET likes this.
  22. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Installed on the Carbonio paddles on Lusso, and I'd highly recommend them. Install was simple, and it came with everything I needed. Wish I found them sooner.

23. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    I just installed the Carbonio extended paddles over the weekend. It's a GREAT upgrade for our cars. I was a bit apprehensive that they might look too big, but once I had them on the car they look perfect! It is now much easier to change gears when turning and when you are resting your hands on the bottom portion of the steering wheel while cruising. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade!

Photos show the difference, the left side of the steering wheel has the stock paddle and the right side has the Carbonio paddle.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Do you have an electronic PDF copy or link to the instructions you can post?

Would love to review the instructions before buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Does shifting by pressing at the top or bottom of the paddles cause any flex in the paddles?

When I shift near the top of the OEM paddles and press at the top, I get some flex in the carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk