Replacement thermostat housings - Warning | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Replacement thermostat housings - Warning

Discussion in '206/246' started by TonyL, Jul 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I’m no expert on this like Tony. I’ll just add that I installed all new thermostat and housing parts to this system last year supplied from Dino Parts and Superformance. No issues since, for what it’s worth.

synchro likes this.
  2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Your to kind Skipp, I am no expert on this just a lot of head scratching trying to find the right thermostat. I may be over thinking the problem but early remade thermostat housings were very poor quality and hopefully have been improved by now.

Tony

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  4. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    That's not the correct T-stat though it can work. The correct # is Savara 9.10.107.11

5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    that's good to know, what is the difference between the two?

6. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  8. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Just Google image 4222883 to see the difference. On the original T-stat the triangular piece on top locates on the outer flange and there is no raised hump. You can find them from time to time on Ebay.

9. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  10. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The important things to consider are

Primary flange diameter, secondary bypass diameter, temp rating, depth from pri flange to base, throw when up to temperature and the secondary spring pressure when open. Modern equivalents do work but a lot of people sell thermostats that are not suitable imo.

Tony

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  12. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    All of my NOS T-stats have worked fine in my Stratos and Dinos. I even have much older NOS originals for my 1959 MGA Twin Cam and they work fine as well. I did check them out in a pan of water on the stove to make sure they opened at the correct temperature before I installed them.

13. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Tony,
    More fun...
    While doing an annual service I discovered the thermostat had the rubber cover on the metal disc, which had completely come off and was floating around in the housing between the disc and the bypass port.
    This explains why the temp wasn't being very stable last summer and good thing the rubber didn't get lodged in the engine.
    It's a made in France item, "calorstat" and I strongly recommend not using it. Photos below....

I found an original Savara thermostat and will put that in.
    Andrew

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

GermanDino and TonyL like this.
  14. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    This is a picture from 2005 when I cleaned up the thermostat area. It shows what looks like a rubber gasket in the recess of the aluminium casting. I don’t recall any issues at the time, and none since. I reused the same thermostat with new gaskets. I can’t see a thermostat makers name in the photos I have...
    Is the gasket on a different side to yours Andrew?
    kevin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi Kevin,
    Tony and I were referring to the rubber gasket marked below, on this brand of thermostat it's attached the metal disc that closes the bypass port.
    Unfortunately, your photo shows the same brand of thermostat - I'll take a photo of the top of mine to confirm and post it soon.
    Sorry if this was confusing.
    Andrew

16. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The top thermostat is the "calorstat" brand which I've shown here with the rubber installed on the disc (which came off in service).
    Kevin, from the top it looks the same as yours but 2005 is about 8 years before I bought mine and perhaps the rubber was added. Might be worth checking when servicing.
    For comparison, the bottom one is the Behr brand thermostat which seems superior but not as good as the Savara type, as Tony notes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    Andrew, ok I see what you are referring to now. I have just searched the 100,s of photos I have taken while working on the engine, and cannot find one that shows the other side of the thermostat... grrr..
    It does seam odd though to have a rubber pad on that part of the thermostat. I don’t recall seeing that on other car thermostats I have worked on. I think all have been brass and stainless throughout.
    Whatever is installed in mine seams to work fine. My curiosity levels are not enough to investigate. Perhaps when I change the coolant level in the summer..
    Incidentally i am not sure I replaced the thermostat in 2005, so mine may well be earlier than that.
    Interesting stuff though.. thanks for raising this.
    Kevin

18. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    Just looked at the thermostat photos on superformance site, and note different versions, one shows a rubber end pad the other stated as OEM does not.

19. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Pretty sure that's where I got mine from....

20. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The problem is none of the stats currently on the market were designed to fit that housing and none of the manufacturers i contacted some time ago would commit to a specific product, the 308 is slightly different but uses the same unit.

On my 308, the water temperature fluctuates if i dont use the stat with the rubber seal on the primary disc. The rubber primary ring does make a good seal and prevents short circuiting but it has a lot more room to move unimpeded.

The 246 housing is somewhat different but follows the same principal in flow design, however using the rubber ring severely restricts the flow across the primary port disc and can lead to hot spots in the block / head. It can also get snagged onto the internal diverting flange inside the casing which could catch and rip off the rubber disc when the stat opens. I wouldnt recommend using a stat of this design or even just removing the rubber disc as some thermostats dont have enough stroke / travel to push the primary disc and block off the port.Removing the rubber disc may not give it enough travel to close the port.

The housing was made specifically for the Savara unit. Having said all that, the modern thermostats do work but you need to be careful of what you fit.

Tony

Kevin - the OEM stat listed is not OEM for the 246, its a 308 unit!

synchro likes this.
  21. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    For what it is worth I just went into the workshop to dig out two old thermostats that I know both fitted in the housing of my L-series. The one that was in the engine when i bought the car is of the brand Savara. Only markings is 82E1 witch I think is the operating temperature. Also notice the small vent valve in the top flange. The other one is of a newer date and with a solid very well attached rubber seal on the bottom flange (Fabricate Tridon). First two pictures are of the Savara.

Best, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Peter
    Any reason why photo 1 of your last post has a lump cut out of the thermostat?
    tony

23. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    There are no modifications done to the Savara thermostat shown on picture#1......This is the original design to the best of my knowledge.

Best, Peter

24. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks Peter, not saying you have modified it but it doesnt look a manufacturer mod either. ie the straight cut across the spring retainer.
    Looking inside the thermostat housing that cut seems to correspond with the ledge inside the housing? Could it be to allow (greater flow) water past the thermostat.

Not seen that before, but the L series unit may be different

tony