812 GTS driver feedback please. | Page 10 | FerrariChat

812 GTS driver feedback please.

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by khal360, Jul 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I've driven my GTS for 2,000 miles now and think it sounds good, especially with the roof down. But I'm not gonna lie... I miss the high pitched scream of the 812 SF!! The GPF does rob that part of the sound. The thought of the V12 scream above 6k revs with no roof is just too tempting!!

So I'm actively considering 200 cell cats from Kline (to replace both the stock cats and OPF) plus also the OBD module from Novitec. The latter over rides the error codes and cancels the OPF regeneration cycle (awaiting details from Novitec on precisely how this works. As I understand it, it doesn't require an ECU flash). The Novitec module is new and is specific to OPF-fitted cars.

Note that the Kline product would be brand new to the market (they'd use my car to laser scan the existing part then design the new cat. I went through this process with Kline for my Portofino because I was an early mover there too and it worked fine)

Has anyone considered the same?

junc, ForeverCar and of2worlds like this.
  2. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    From what I understand the GPF delete check engine is a constant signal and would override a potential problem. In my GTS I plan to drive it hard and leave the high pitch screaming to come from my passenger.

3. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Im interested in how your journey progresses. Please keep us updated. Glad to hear you think it sounds good for the most part.

4. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    LMH, of2worlds and maxemus like this.
  5. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
  6. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    Yes unfortunately your 1st photo is identical to mine (as pasted below), and everyone else. This has been standard practice for several years. Rest assured your 2nd and 3rd photo is of your car!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  7. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    If you have your 2nd and/or 3rd photo, how long after your 1st did it take to show up?

8. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    1-2 weeks

of2worlds likes this.
  9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The 'invisible' 812 GTS! Ferrari has said very little so far about this new model in there print media efforts.
    Just a few owners enjoying there new 812 GTS so far.

10. Montgomery Kersten

Oct 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    J M Kersten
    I'm new to the Forum of Ferrarichat, but I own three V-12's and one V-8 of the marque . . . I have 140,000 miles on my 550 from new (1999), and I drive a 599 and new 812, all the time. I have already put 5,000 miles on the 812 after receiving it a year ago . . .

As for experience with my 812: My dealer told me I would no longer drive the 550 (manual obviously), nor the 599GTB (superstiff design), once the 812 arrived. Not true: each is a very different driving experience. The manual is so special (how they were abandoned for F-1 paddles/snap sequential shifts for our lovely and flexible manuals is beyond me, except they were new, and "race-proven" and sexy and, yet pretenders thought they were Vettel or Kimi?).

I will never sell my 550 Maranello. But, the 812 does sound/drive as close to F-1 as we mortals on the road can reach.

I learned driving the 812 at Laguna Seca with a pro in the passenger seat guiding me with hand gestures, and in-helmet instructions from his mic, that I am a mediocre race driver, but the 812 forgives that of us: super cool 4 wheel traction control, way sophisticated -- and super precise ABS -- mean we can feel like we are Anton out on the road.

In closing, for a layman as I, the thrill of the 812 is beyond my other V-12's including my Diablo . . . simply the smoothest yet roughest Ferrari yet! You can throw her into "auto" or keep her in "go to redline" manual (glorious sound!), and she is totally tractable at all stages. I spent extra on the Harmon Kardon stereo, but that was in hindsight stupid, as I've never even turned on the music, I just put the windows down, spool up, and hear the song!

I have over 5,000 miles on it, cuz it begs to be driven!

Montgomery

JariT, italiafan, tomc and 3 others like this.
  11. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Welcome. Great first post.

Adamas likes this.
  12. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    Hi All. I started this string a while back and thanks to everyone for some great input!
    Now that a bunch are out there if you could post some more driving impressions and if anything is less appealing than the SF (high pitch exhaust note aside). 4 more months until she arrives!

of2worlds likes this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Which color combination did you choose? The white GTS downtown looked very sharp with those wheels!

14. Mn-0127

Mn-0127 Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2013

Ive had my GTS about a month now. Few comments so far

1. Cabin space is perfect, but, I have a small stature at 5’9ft and 158lbs
    2. Exhaust sound with top down is wonderful. This is something I didn’t experience driving 812SF on track at corso pilota
    3. Same driving experience as 812Sf in terms of torque, speed, and comfort

Overall a really good car. Can’t wait to see what 812TDF GTS will be like!

khal360 likes this.
  15. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    Went with fuoco and cuoio toscano with black Daytona inserts. Modern and vintage theme. The white is quite stunning.

of2worlds and Gullwing like this.
  16. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Welcome! Like you I have the upgraded sound system(I’m an audiophile) and after one year have turned it on perhaps twice for a few minutes. Even in NY bumper to bumper traffic the sound of the V12 is too much to resist even to my wife-she screams-turn off that radio!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds and JTSE30 like this.
  17. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Great, you will love it. I've had mine for about two months and c. 2250 miles (mostly one long road trip to Scotland in Sept). A few observations:

- wind buffeting / noise is fine with roof down, even at speed (c. 70mph)
    - there is a fairly major blind spot due to the thick pillar next to the driver, which curves around you to form almost a mini cave. This is an issue for changing lanes on the driver side, not passenger side. You kind of get used to it and can lean forward to check (and obviously use door mirror) but it's a bit of a pain.
    - further to my comments above, it does sound good (especially with roof down, and the ability to lower rear window with roof in place is a nice touch). However, I've concluded I want more - a bit more volume and that high pitched scream of the 812 SF. I'm getting an X pipe & 200 cell sports cats (no GPF) fitted in the next few weeks. On the whole, they've done a decent job with the sound with GPF, but some will always miss the 'old' sound...

On the whole, very happy. There are some worrying announcements in Europe about massively increasing tax on cars like this (especially France), so get out there and drive the thing like there is no tomorrow!

KenU, of2worlds and khal360 like this.
  18. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Just FYI - Novitec have released a module which plugs into OBD port and over rides GPF warning light. I am having it fitted in a few weeks and can report back for anyone interested, although I am confident it will work given the reputation & price point of Novitec.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Look forward to your report, Karl. Thank you! Electronics aside, I’m most interested in the sound characteristics (back to pure SF symphony?).

20. JMJ

JMJ Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey J

My GTS is in Red 40 I’ve been told, love my Superfast, which I drive every day when in Palm Beach…do I need to keep both? That is a question I can’t answer. Thanks for your insightful post.

Jordan68 likes this.
  21. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    IMHO no. I had an SF first (Pre gpf) and now GTS for some time. Love the GTS and don’t miss anything about the SF given the hard top. Only thing that you may miss is space…good amount more in the SF. I have a Roma to handle gold, etc. if anything, I would add an f12 back. I miss the looks and it’s a different animal. The GTS to me, again imho as I know others will disagree, is an improved SF..slightly on looks for me and more so on overall utility. U can always keep both and then sell the SF. The two before separation :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

hubyone, leopoldo, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    After having put about 8000km on the GTS last summer, I think it's interesting how different it feels to the Superfast. To me the Superfast is all sports car with only a slight hint of GT. The GTS is all GT. They make a nice pair because they feel so different.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

430jm, klinkman and of2worlds like this.
  23. MrFloppi

MrFloppi Karting

Mar 15, 2014
    Is that your GTS in the avatar? If yes, it’s A+ spec, very classy and tasteful.

During Maranello launch event I thought I don’t have a need for the GTS since I loved my Superfast so much, so I declined….Now I regret it to not have specced one. Would have been the ultimate V12 duo (Competizione + GTS). Remember yourself live’s short

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

of2worlds and Shack like this.
  24. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I was at the GTS launch and thought the same as you. Luckily this summer I changed my mind before they closed the order book. Plan to keep my 2018 812 and the GTS. In the end it will all go to Charities. As you said, enjoy it now you just never know.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I agree with this 100%. They're different enough in character in exactly the way you describe. For me personally its the Superfast as I feel too self conscious driving open top flashy cars where I live.

430jm likes this.