430 - Post pics of your stripes... | FerrariChat

430 Post pics of your stripes...

Discussion in '360/430' started by CoreyNJ, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I am thinking while the car sits over the winter to have the original clear bra removed, it really needs it after 11 years, and add a stripe before I have the full hood, fender and bumper clear bra put on.

I need some ideas on size and color. My car is Rosso Corsa and a coupe. So if you have stripes on your 430, can you please post some pics.

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

Ray Smith likes this.
  2. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    Hey Corey,

Taking off that old and possibly yellowing clear bra always feels refreshing! I just had some old stuff pulled off my Scud and was praying for no paint peeling over the precious stripes in the process. Luckily no issues. It feels great to have fresh xpel on there that will be good for years to come.

Here are some pics of my stripes front and back. I took these a few days ago so not the best angles to see the detail, but can send you more if wanted.

Do you have a 430 Scud or an F430? With a Scud I would personally go with the classic Scud stripes as pictured. On an F430 definitely more options I'd consider. Maybe stripes like those on a 458 speciale would be cool.

BTW, for planning purposes, I've been told in the past to let any paint sit for 30 days before applying xpel if you're planning on having the stripes painted on.

Hope this helps!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ray Smith, VAF84 and DeTomasoGTS74 like this.
  3. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Morning....for my .02, stripes on a Scud look simply amazing, and are part of the car's persona. Stripes on a 430,to me, would make it look like one is trying to emulate a Scud.

Jda...curious...how long had the original PPF been on the car? when I bought my '07 two years ago, I had the front, 1/2 the hood and the mirrors done. is there a "general" timeframe of safety under which one should remove and replace the film to avoid any paint damage?

thanks much!

Jda550911 likes this.
  4. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    Ray Smith and Jda550911 like this.
  5. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    Haha Cole, that's kind of what I was getting at. Stripes on an F430 i would get creative with and do something that doesn't look like any Scud stripes.

On the PPF, i think it had been on since the car was new. It was a thick, ugly, bumpy one, so definitely wanted it gone. We weren't too worried about the hood/expensive stripes since we knew it was original paint, but from what I've seen on other cars and heard, it mostly becomes a worry on any panels that have been repainted.

All the guys that were helping me out were not worried at all about 11 year old original/factory paint, and it did not peel.

Not being an expert at all but just absorbing information, I'd say original paint 10-15 years old I wouldn't be worried. Where you start to see issues is with re-painted panels that are PPF'd and especially repainted panels that were PPF'd before the paint was able to fully cure/set.

On my 20 year old 550, we did see tome tiny tic tac sized peels and one penny sized spot. It was not on all panels and everyone assumed those panels had been re-painted at some point. The PPF was also very old and yellowed. PPF technology has definitely come a long way.

If you happen to be in Florida I have some good recommendations!

Ray Smith likes this.
  6. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Corey - If you are removing existing PPF from your car, you need to be prepared with paint (i.e. clear) coming up with it. Sure, some cars will be OK while others will have issues. MY 2008 F430 had PPF installed about 5 years before I bought it. Had a VERY reputable detailer pull the old PPF off because I was having it replaced. Peeled the clear off the bumper and left fender. When I had the front of the car re-painted, the color around the trunk, under the plastic trim could be peeled up with your finger nail (this was from the factory as it was confirmed there was only the factory paint). I did a lot of research and spoke to numerous people and paint peeling is common on 430's.

I know you wanted to see striped on cars but I feel strongly you need to be prepared for the worse.

7. F131 one of one

F131 one of one Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Taco Vonk
  8. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

As mentioned above, definitely a crap shoot for removing ppf. That’s the main reason my car got a respray (carnage after stripes and ppf were pulled).

9. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Well I just ordered my stripes. Silver metallic flake with gloss black edging. I ordered from KiStudios. A local friend has these stripes on his 430 and they look great quality, but he has the anthracite ones which was told is matches the factory scud option. I didn't want to duplicate the look of his car or act like I'm trying to be a scud poser, plus I love the silver look on other Ferrari models I have seen it on.

As for the PPF, I am going to an installer later today to inspect the PPF on my way to have new tires installed. They said on original paint if the PPF is in good condition it should remove without damage. If the PPF is cracked, which mine isn't or aftermarket paint, the odds of pulling clear or actual paint is high.

I think the actual work will happen after my Klein exhaust is hopefully installed later this month, it is supposed to ship later this week.

Cheers,
    Corey

10. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Ray Smith, CoreyNJ and Manda racing like this.
  11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Stealthssfc, Pis7a2020 and TheCook like this.
  12. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
  13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  14. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I love this TDF

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

plastique999 likes this.
  15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    TheCook likes this.
  16. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    If it were me, and I have entertained this idea, I would put stripes on the car unlike those on a Scuderia. Two Stripes slightly wider than a Scud, that maintain their width from nose to tail. Depending on your exterior color, something understated, like dark grey. No one could think you were imitating a Scud. It would be fairly obvious you're not, and I think it would be cool. And now I'm revved up to remove all the Xpel, put on stripes (PPF) and reapply the Xpel.

Ray

17. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    That looks great.

Ray

18. Stealthssfc

Stealthssfc Rookie

Jan 30, 2019
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Scott “Angry Donut” Constantine
    If you want to add vinyl stripes why not add them over the ppf? You get the added benefit of being able to quickly and easily remove them if you dont like them, without having to redo the ppf. Plus putting ppf over a vinyl stripe doesnt always stay down along the edges of the stripes. I get that the OP wants to redo his ppf regardless as its gotten old but I would highly consider doing the ppf under the stripe.

19. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    That’s actually the way I decided to go. Hopefully by the end of next week I’ll be able to post some pics when I get the car back. The snow and cold weather has very much delayed all the “pre-spring” work on the car as it couldn’t be moved from shop to shop and in some cases one shop was closed from the weather losing my spot at another shop. It’s actually sitting at the detailers now waiting for a slot at another shop where I missed the window for this week due to the weather.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Stealthssfc likes this.
  20. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    armedferret likes this.
  21. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012