F8 or STO? | Page 17 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    There's no other version, the STO is it. The NA V10 has reached it's limit and there's no Audi R&D to keep the engine alive.

With EU7 on the horizon I expect the Huracan replacement/refresh will be announced in 2023 and will likely have a V8.

Shack and Thecadster like this.
  2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Thank you but I wont be surprised if they have s special version STO or whatever between now and then. This wont take away from this car but it does get old when they keep saying this is it and then an STO "R" shows up.

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Right, I see the STO as a RWD Perf. Yes I can see some of the tweaks they made but they are mostly cosmetic. I like the car but I wouldn't go selling my Perf for an STO.

ferrarifam and Coincid like this.
  4. Agreed.

But some, like myself, would have seriously considered a Performante but for the fact that it's AWD.

This is why (for some at least) the STO is worth the premium over the Performante (not to mention the other bits and pieces added on to differentiate it from the Performante).

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It makes you wonder why they didn't initially build a RWD Perf, they must have planned this all along.

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    he’s comparing it to other street cars
    Senna 720 ford gt etc
    His comment was the Ferrari is all of a piece, a great balance etc .

7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Makes no sense comparing to a Senna? There is no comparison at any level, none. Comparing the F8 to the 720 I think is fair though. I ran my Pista a couple of weeks ago on the track and it did pretty well, I would definitely make some changes if I were to do it regularly. End result for me was to buy a 488 Challenge car instead. I would imagine the F8 would need a lot more work. Again, on the street its a different story.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think they’re trying to stretch the hurricanes sales
    The Evo apparently didn’t make the numbers.
    The performante is stylistically great as all the earlier hurricanes are, art if you will.
    It has really clever aero without being too crass or ruining the shape.

why didn’t they Just do a 2wd performante. They may have concluded that the hurrican platform was never going to make the paper numbers of its rivals so needed some outrageous pizaz to sell in the volumes they needed.

a 2wd stick performante would have been the car sone of us desired. Na stick great grip and raw, would have been a seminal machine. Really the last of the real Mohicans before we go elcyeic hybrid. As good as a na stick super around can get before they’re gone.

Paper numbers and or wow that’s new, is what sells.

who knows if they need to squeeze a few hundred more units out the hurrican we may see that mythical performer yet. Happened with the Gallardo.

ScrappyB, Gh21631 and MANDALAY like this.
  9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #409 boxerman, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    There are street cars, there are track cars and there are street cars you can take to the track on occasion. The f8 like the pista is one of the latter.

the senna, cool as it is what’s it for. Not really a great street car. So
    It’s faster than other street cars on track.

what This person was saying is the the f8 was to him a prefect synthesis of all that is good today. That’s both objective and subjective. Dosent mean it’s the fatest round a track, just the best street car.
    Some Of course Some are just objectively lap time focused.

an sto may not be the fatest but it may be the most fun to take to the track, that’s subjective.

sat I had one of my most fun days on track in a bone stock Alfa 4c on street tires. The flaws of the car did t detract from the fun they added to it.
    A singer porche may not be the fastest but it may be the most enjoyable.

it’s about style and balance and sound and balance of forces. To some that’s a thing to others not.

ScrappyB likes this.
  10. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Lamborghini milks the same models but Ferrari and Mclaren release a new model every 3 months with similar performance across the board and flood the market with cars.

Lamborghini doesn't have the control nor the R&D to produce a new model every year, VW bean counters make the decision. Until Lamborghini goes public like Ferrari this is the best they can do.

uhn2000, Shack and Boomhauer like this.
  11. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    What are your thoughts on Grigio Nimbus? I never liked a silver Huracan but I'm thinking silver may suit the STO with the extensive contrasting CF exterior trim. I'm partial to silver Pista's as well.

Getting conflicting info as well and seems we know more than some dealers.

Engine cooling has been mentioned by Lambo.

Conceivable as the rumored new OEM race exhaust option to be released soon for the EVO is Akra but installed by the dealer with OEM warranty maintained.

Interesting that several EVO owners have mentioned that the stock exhaust sounds so good that the OEM Akra exhaust is unnecessary. I heard the EVO RWD on cold start, spine tingling. Can only imagine the sound at WOT.

Don't hear too many Perf owners upset about the STO. Several appear enthused about trading in the Perf for the STO or following Cadster's lead and keeping both.

Reminds me of the same yahoos who claimed Pista owners would be pissed about the F8 being released, same engine and performance, cheaper and all. Oh wait

An EVO owner actually measured the distance from the foot rest to the rear edge of the driver's seat and there's an additional 3 inches compared to the 610-4 in the optional sport seats. Everyone's body habitus is different but those with long legs who couldn't fit the 610 may have a shot with the STO.

I'm 5'10" 170 lbs and my helmet rubs against the headliner in my 580 coupe so I need to adjust the rake of the seat. I would welcome an additional 2" or more of vertical space. Disclaimer I have a XXL size head. Helmet may not fit in the STO's frunk

Would imagine the STO dials it up to 11

Image Unavailable, Please Login

600LT--->Performante

620R--->STO

Two things I appreciate having owned both is not having to use the battery tender (Huracan) and having a new OEM battery last longer than 6 months (458 Spider) and 18 months (California) despite said religious use of battery tender.

Don't have the specifics brother. Just what I read in Motortrend article

"Lamborghini says the Performante can lap Daytona in 1:51.80, while the full-race-car Huracán GT3 EVO can do so in 1:46.40. The STO splits the two nicely, turning in a 1:48.86 lap. That's pretty dang impressive for a street-legal anything"

Regarding RWD STO vs AWD HP: I traded my 610-4 for a 580-2. Having come from GT3, California, 458, I personally place great emphasis on RWD driving dynamics. YMMV

12. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Will the STO have a GPF?

13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Sound. Baller looks.

Ash Patel likes this.
  16. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Calling another user a "tool". 2-day ban.

Shadowfax likes this.
  17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    check, check

18. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This is really something totally different compared to other brands, in a league of it's own, while other manufacturers makes turbo-cars that just farts it's way forward (with a price in parity or over the STOs), this looks baller and most likely will sound epic!

As someone earlier mentioned, even though it might be only a gimmick, knowing that they will loose customers who wanna do weekend travels with this car due to only helmet fitting in the front, makes it even more desirable for me. Even if the mindset "no compromises" itself from the VW group producing this car is gimmickish this really speaks to my heart in a way only the Zonda did the first time I heard it.

Now I newer considered myself buying a car in this price-range before but I willing to stretch my budget (very much a mindset) to buy an STO, that's the impact is has on me and I know a lot more people who would never pay Pista, 765LT or even F8 money, for the STO it's a totally different story.

For those generalizing Lambo owners, give it a break, I own both Ferrari and Lambo just to mix it up, simple as that and if I was to choose one of them, my RWD Lambo over the 458 all day every day.

@dustman I think a better comparison if one is on the buyers market currently is STO vs Pista? :)

Shack, Boomhauer and Thecadster like this.
  19. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
  20. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I do not think so. I remember reading a post from one of the resident experts (maybe on the F8 thread?) that detailed the differences in how Ferrari and Lamborghini fuel injection works. Something about direct injection versus port injection? I could easily be boogering up this explanation. In any case, it was concluded that Lamborghini can skirt around the regulation on this technicality. Again, that is my recollection and it could be foggy.

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Go for the STO since it is abundantly clear that your passion has been so aroused. Pay no attention to others whose opinons are irrelevant. You will be paying and owning the car and your opinion is the only one of consequence.Generalizations about Lamborghini owners is with all generalizations, often with fraught with bias and ignorance.

Shack and 09Scuderia like this.
  22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Idk. Similar I suppose if both are considered a bit gimmicky. One is feminine looking the other is more aggressive.

23. Isn't it also because of the limited numbers of cars that Lambo produces? Which makes them exempt from the EU regs? I think this is the reason why McLarens don't have GPFs, right?

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  25. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Those making generalizations are often the ignorant who have never owned a Lambo. Those of us who have owned multiple Ferrari's and Lambo's intuitively are more open-minded and less likely to be brand whores.

Ironically some of the biggest brand whores are those that own neither Ferrari or Lambo.

I love the ethos Lambo created with the STO in the same way I respect McLaren for making the 620R.

My 580-2 over 458/488 and STO over F8 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.