Pre purchase inspection in Ohio | FerrariChat

Pre purchase inspection in Ohio

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by Jared Fletcher, Nov 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jared Fletcher

Aug 20, 2020
    I live in SoCal and looking at buying a 458 in Ohio. Anyone have a good contact or source to do a PPI about 2 hours outside of Columbus?

2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Question- do you mean you are looking for a PPI within 2hrs of Columbus? Or the car itself is located 2hrs from Columbus?
    Cauley Ferrari isn't much further (they are in MI and know the 458 inside and out). MAG (Midwest Auto Group) is IN Columbus. I am sure they can do it as well, though I've never dealt with them. I do know some customers in Ohio choose to send their cars to Cauley instead because of how reputable Cauley is.

3. Jared Fletcher

Aug 20, 2020
    The car is about 2 hours outside of Columbus. But I'll check both of those you mentioned. Much appreciated!

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yeah if you're not far from Cauley I'd take it there in a heartbeat. They know what they're doing.

5. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    It would help your cause here if you could note the particular location in Ohio!

6. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Just about everywhere in Ohio is within 2 hours of Columbus! A location, or even compass direction, would be very helpful.

Tony K likes this.
  7. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    Sparky49 likes this.
  8. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    I will caution against Earl Gibbs, especially if he does work for that dealer...

Earl Gibbs from North Coast Exotics let me share my experience.

Some of this my fault for being too trusting.

The dealer was Medina Auto, Arthur Knight was selling what was his Business partners F430. He offered to pay for the PPI. We went thru Earl Gibbs as he was highly recommended on the Forums here. Turned out Earl does Service work for them and my PPI was over the phone and I wrote everything down. I figured it was OK cause he was described as Old School. When my Transmission was dropping out of gear after around 100 miles or so I took it in for Service at my Ferrari dealer here in Michigan. Turns out I had 1% Clutch not the 66% he told me. They never fixed the TPMS like they said they were going to. Cost me 12K, but the car was 20-25K cheaper than others I was considering so I'm still ahead.

All said I'm happy with my Car.
    So take it as advice.
    Pay for your own PPI and get it in writing.
    Good luck with your purchase. They are such fun cars to own and drive.

DiabloTerr likes this.
  9. avt96cobra

avt96cobra Rookie

Oct 16, 2020
    Harlingen, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wolf
    Recommendation(s) on PPI for F360 in Johnstown, OH, which is 25 miles North East of Columbus.

10. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    This might be a late reply, so sorry if the need is no longer there. For this 360, I would recommend either NJB Automotive or Evans Automotive.

Also, North Coast Exotics did an excellent PPI for me about 1 month ago and I ended up buying the car after the seller agreed to let NCE replace a leaking oil cooler and a dying battery. I enjoyed working with them.

11. griffith500

griffith500 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I would also caution against MAG (Midwest Auto Group) - I recently bought a car there and was very disappointed in the workmanship of their service department. They caused damage to my car and are not willing to address it post purchase. Most disappointing experience ever dealing with an AD - mistakes happen, it matters how they deal with it once they have your money.

12. veelangs

veelangs Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2021
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Vee
    Not to bump a dead thread, but looking at an FF at Toy Barn, heard some stories of the place but they ring to me like the stories you hear about every place, basically buyer beware.
    A good PPI somewhere near the Columbus area would be appreciated

Cheers

13. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    NJB outside of Columbus- Jack and Kevin are both stand up guys.

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  14. Sparky49

Sparky49 Rookie

Jun 29, 2021
  15. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #15 PaulK, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    I am very sorry to hear. I hate to say this but I am not surprised by the attitude.
    I haven't heard anything good about that dealership and my experience with the general manager (unrelated to service or sales) gave me the poorest impression out of all the dealers.