Italy and Coronavirus | Page 20 | FerrariChat

Italy and Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Albert-LP, Feb 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Will Italy accept approval of the US FDA vaccine or do they need their own testing?

greg328 likes this.
  2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I always believed there would be a second wave; and since the middle of July, the figures showed that it was more and more inevitable. So I am already well stocked.
    The Scientific Advisory Board recommended to the President that the new "lock-down" be scheduled for two months, until January 5th; for reasons that can easily be imagined, the President chose one month, that is December 1st instead, with the proviso that, if contaminations are not down to under 5.000 per day at this date, the "lock-down" will be extended further.
    My guess is that we will be good until January 5th...this because they hesitated to decide for a "lock-down" in August; it would have been shorter, had it been decided when it should have.

Rgds

Albert-LP and absostone like this.
  3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    here we go with EU rules, so EU will decice what we will buy and what not

4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    we are at 30 k a day (more or less), today 29 k: it looks that from tomorrow there will be a (probably softer than this spring) lockdown for one or two months

5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    starting from today the red areas are in a full lockdown, yellow in an intermediate lockdown and the green ones only have some restrictions. And then there is a complete lockdown everywhere from 10.00 PM to 5.00 AM, in all Italy. Motorvalley (and Ferrari too) is in the green area (Emilia Romagna).

Ciao

greg328 likes this.
  6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I’m guessing this will happen in the US also. And where I live it will be terrible to be stuck inside in winter.

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That's not something one is longing for...but, on the other hand, hoping for the disease to cure by itself is not very useful either. That's more or less what France has been doing all the summer; and last week (= week # 45) France had an average of 53.741 new contaminations every day and 46.979 every day for the week before.
    (considering a population of about 65 millions, which is five times less than the one of the US, it means we have about 2.5 times more contaminations in proportion to our population than the US each day nowadays).
    While the numbers were already showing in mid-July that the epidemy was on the rise again, nobody wanted to act. They delayed action until end september, then tried a useless curfew starting October, and then we nevertheless ended up in lock-down again in November.
    But a "soft lock-down" or "softer lock-down"; so we are stuck inside, but the virus is still spreading nevetheless; and faster every week...but the "soft lock-down" is not as effective as a hard one. The President wanted to avoid saying that we will still be locked-down for Christmas, despite all the Doctors saying that the "lock-down" should not be lifted before we are down to an average of less than 5.000 new contaminations a day (as said above, we are already nearing mid-November, and we have ten times that "maximum average"...).
    So he said "lock-down till December 1st, but if the daily average of new contaminations is not below 5.000, then the "lock-down" will be extended.
    My guess is that we are "locked-down" until mid-January at best.
    But admittedly, the north-east of France is not as cold as the north of the US...

Rgds

absostone likes this.
  8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    This week we averaged 30k new infected a day, and today we have a new record of 40k. And we are at 500+ casualties every day too. Starting from Sunday, we will be in the orange zone: means we can move only inside our town or village, so I cannot reach Maranello anymore. I think that everyone here will get the virus, sooner or later: 40 k new infected a day are too much, here hospitals have already collapsed.

Ciao

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Alberto good luck to you. Yes now we know what to expect.

Albert-LP likes this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Not good! Seems like sad is in France but heading for a slightly better situation for Xmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    How is it going in your neck of woods? I just looked at the last figures for the US this morning, its looking tough...

Rgds

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well...not really, no: still 27k new contaminations yesterday, closing on 2 millions total. Theoretical capacity for the "Urgences" (emergencies) was 5.000 beds for the whole country before the Covid crisis. Yesterday 4.888 persons were in those beds, or 97,5% of the original capacity (it has been raised after the spring crisis)

The 2 million total is almost double than what Italy has. Germany, with 82 millions inhabitants (against 65 for France) has only 803.000 cases (against two millions here) and the health minister said last week: "it is much too early to discuss any slackening of the containment measures, whether we like it or not we must be ready for a different Christmas this year, and then we will discuss what to do in four or five months".

The advise from the "Conseil National de la Santé" three weeks ago here was: "no change to the lock-down until the country is under 5.000 contaminations a day". 27.000 is not 5.000, isn't it? But many persons are already discussing how, and when, to slacken the lock-down; my guess is that someone will find any figure to suit their purpose, then say "fine, time to lift the lock-down" this probably for Christmas...and then, mid-January or end January, we will end locked down again, because it would have been lifted too early.

Rgds

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Yep Im flying home for Christmas with a « laissez passer>. Mr Veran did say today things were improving a bit though. Hope he is right

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Not real sure how bad it is other than the talk. I believe we are supposed to start soft lockdown today. But here is the problem
    Walmart ok
    Funeral Not ok
    Church Not ok
    Grocery ok
    Bar not ok
    No sense to this . Though we are careful with mask.

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yep; a bit like that here also. When I'm looking down in the main street of my village (I'm not locked down in my usual place in Paris, but in the family house in the north-east of France: much bigger than my flat in Paris, a garden, cats, etc...AND more wine in a better cellar!) can't see any slow-down in the traffic? Well, they say it is effective, so let's pretend it is...
    Oh, and I hope you don't need the funeral too soon...

Rgds

You're in Chicago, right? What a fabulous city. I just love it. Was there in September last year, and it was not the first time.

absostone likes this.
  16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The only real, quantifiable improvement is the "R", which measures the contamination from one person infected towards the others: it was at 0,81 on Friday (meaning: one person with the Covid contaminates less than one other person) which is the best recorded since May, 31st.
    Otherwise, I'm not that convinced.

My impression (= impression, nothing more) is that "those empowered" consider it would not be accepted to lock-down everyone for Christmas, so they are trying to find a way to suspend it...

But I'm not coming back to Paris unless I'm ordered to...for the time being, even if I feel a bit like playing "Groundhog Day" every morning (But very good living conditions in the old family house, lots of place, garden, etc...) my daily grind is tele-working.

Lots of confusing information about restaurants today; "Le Point" believes they will not open again before mid-january; "Le Figaro" believes they will open earlier...

Rgds

17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I am in the suburbs. And yes I do recall you may have posted some pics of your cats IIRC

18. Natkingcolebasket69

It’s a mess! Sadly I can’t land anywhere but Paris direct from SFO we will see!

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Got more cats than I can handle...when I'm back, they spread the word. Four "regulars" now, and "about four" intermittents. Give me a reason to take the 328 out for "madatory food collection" to the local supermarket, which is legally acceptable (mandatory food collection is accepted). Even if I make a 20 mile trip on Saturdays for a 1 mile distance, but, well...you know these cars, they don't like short trips, they need to be brought to operating temps.
    But this "autumn-winter lockdown", even less strict than the one in the spring, is harder on the mind. I guess that a lock-down in "Windy city" in late autumn / begining of the winter is certainly not easy...

Rgds

absostone likes this.
  20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I was just reading last night that apparently here in the US it is 2.3 (or maybe 2.5 I forget) which is much worse than .81. That is why the cases are exploding here exponentially.

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That would be a very high figure indeed, I think the maximum value here has been 1,4.

France is also helped in the Coronavirus matter, for once, by being a very centralised state; we might have our doubts about this or that decision, but once taken, they are universally applied. Some large cities did enforce their own variations earlier, but on the whole, centralisation helps.
    Also, the subject of elementary precautions and wearing of the mask has not become political (a small number of people disagree, but that's not much...).

Rgds

23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Hello to all in Italy and France how is everything?

24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Hi Mike, despite in Italy daily cases are going down, Modena area is the most infected of Italy.
    We are at less than 20 K a day now in all Italy (we had a peak of 40k), but they still are too much.
    Ciao

crinoid and greg328 like this.
  25. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Wow. Please be very careful. I’m sorry to hear this

crinoid likes this.