New car sale of diesel and electric expected to be brought forward 2030 | FerrariChat

New car sale of diesel and electric expected to be brought forward 2030

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LWR550, Nov 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LWR550

LWR550 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    East Sussex
    Apparently announcement on this is imminent.

Probably covered many many times here. To say I'm sad is an understatement. Electric could be a very useable replacement for transportation purposes, but for driving pleasure I think it's unlikely to stir the soul

My specific question is, what does this do for the values of our V8/V12 engined Ferraris?

If we need a working example, in 5 years time, will my beautifully kept 599GTB be worth a fortune?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The pessimist would say fewer and fewer people will want them so like every other car they will continue to depreciate

But as long as petrol is available there will be some demand for more esoteric cars

Then again if you are looking to sell in 2025 its still many years til new petrol/diesel cars are banned let alone existing existing vehicles driven off the road so it will still have a value but quite why it would be worth a fortune I cannot imagine

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    No.

4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Petrol and diesel will not disappear anytime soon; just become less available. Something has to power the planes and trucks, etc and it won’t be electric power.

In addition with the investment that is starting to flow for synthetic fuels expect our blinkered politicians and media to wake up in a few years to the fact that electric is not THE answer.

As to values; who knows. I’m not intending to replace any of my current toys so don’t care; I’m just going to put the miles on them and enjoy them.

Bas likes this.
  5. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    In a "blink and you'll miss it" announcement from the FIA, they have indicated the intention that F1 will be using Carbon Neutral, or sustainable Fuels by 2026.
    Now given how much they like their road car relevance these days, ICE is far form dead and buried.

See here:
    Formula 1 to use engines powered by sustainable fuels by 2026 - BBC Sport

6. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    it’s an interesting announcement. Noting the % of their impact that comes from the fuel the cars burn; next to nothing.

I think it was Porsche or similar that stated recently they will be investing to synthetic fuels.

will be interesting to see where this all goes.

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Who knew the Tory party is actually the green party.

Madness.

635CSI, MalcQV and sixcarbs like this.
  8. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Ha; they are pandering to the popular opinion and with a eye onto job creation.

Whilst the press only put up the headlines and I’ve not seen the detail; you would have expected heavy investment into tidal as that’s guaranteed and totally predictable; not to mention we have lots of it!!!

still you can’t expect common sense from civil servants or politicians

Bas likes this.
  9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I’m not seeing where synthetic fuels will be of much help with regard to carbon neutrality. CO2 will still be the end result from an ICE.

With regard to electric, sometimes necessity is the mother of invention. Being forced into a situation may result in unexpected technology advances.

Electric motors are more efficient than gas if diesel, that is not subject to negotiation. What is, however, is electric storage density, distribution and rate of replenishment ‘at the pump’ and how we generate electricity.

As an investment strategy? I wouldn’t count on any ICE that way. Enjoying your toys now ? Absolutely.......