V-12 Engine into 308 Build, over on Grassroots | Page 13 | FerrariChat

V-12 Engine into 308 Build, over on Grassroots

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Jan 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The speedo sensor is just a VR sensor I'm pretty sure. The issue is WHERE they sense....the tran output shaft IIRC, then comes the diff so it doesn't match anything until you correct for diff gear ratio. I'm using the speedo signal as an ECU input for rear axle speed for traction control.......should I ever get to the point where I need it :(

Its a VR sensor and quite wide so you'll get a weird signal from most replacements.....I'd try a hall if I was looking for a cheap replacement as it doesn't care how wide the trigger wheel teeth are. Driving the speedo will be the bigger issue as its looking for the VR out, maybe a simple high/low will work or you might need a full bridge that goes +/-...don't know.

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Traction control???? We are real men around these parts... Traction control is pedal control... Might just have to review the man card status...
    :p

I'd have to dig up the thread, but want there a gent over in Europe on here that tore into them to make new boards? If I recall correctly he found that The signal out was not a direct deal, some kinda of switch up... I'll have to dig it up.

The trigger wheel is large and sports 4 vanes... Hadn't thought that would be an issue for a sensor... Never know. ZF has a huge catalog of sensors though...

Have a point on the output voltage though... Always something....

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    tried to take a look but the web page is not accessible with entering an email....not a company I would ever consider dealing with.

4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
  5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    says mister "I was scared to open the throttle past 25% ;)

smg2 likes this.
  6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  7. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
  8. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Hmmm
    I run duck duck go.. and start page..

So via duck it loads without issue... Via start page there's a pop up over the Facebook link, something I don't have btw.. but the site still loads and is navigable...

No data input from me...

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Similar to EL129 HW wise

the only spec difference that really caught my eye is the logging sucks in comparison 100 channel at 100hz? Really ? Now try logging every signal parameter in the ECU at 1khz .....never miss anything., ever ;)

.....can't compare the rest of the SW without seeing it.

10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    maybe......it's worthless when I click on it and I've found companies who thing stuff like that is a good idea are generally equally worthless. Motec is similar but in the opposite way...they show you crazy cool specs, and $15k or optional purchases later you can have them but for normal money you get a pretty substandard offering....not sure which approach is worse, but no interest in either company.

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I see the Link ECU as a step below the one you're using, price point even bears that out. However for a plug and play and ease of use.. Very hard to beat.
    The setup you have seems to be geared towards heavily custom and those kit car type builds where it's all from scratch. Or a gutted track car..

12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Now come on man!... you're not doing plug and play anything, who are you trying to kid here? :p

They are different markets for sure. The setup I have is literally geared to would be ECU manufactures....create a model, put your sticker on and you are an ECU manufacturer. As I said there is a relationship AEM to Enginelab with some HW still exclusive ....but any AEM infinity ECU can be registered on the EL site and EL software loaded including the $700 3 series, which is V8 capable. AEM sell many plug&play packages, but they are AEM's models not EL's. The EL comes with NOTHING ready to go, you need to create it but once you do you can load it into any EL ecu.

The motec M1 stuff works kind of the same but as I understand any dealer can list a "package" for a specific car as available from motec, when it sells the dealer who created it gets some money....but anyone can buy the $4k ECU dead and then add then $2500 development package for that one and only 1 ECU and customize pretty much anything inside....they use like a C code lite kind of language, at least that's what it looked like, didn't pay the money to buy it. but in their case the development package gets you access to all the motec generic packages to start form vs needing to start from scratch with EL......but there is a bit of a price difference so perhaps expected.

Did you get the model and layout I sent? it show a bit of what's possible.

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Motec is too much of a pita... Can't buy direct.. Need to use their authorized local dealer etc... Zero interest.

Sent via email or just the link to the el129? From what I've seen you post it's extremely comprehensive... Far more depth then the link for sure.

I say plug and play in that... Here's a sensor..beep boop wired up.. Done. GUI is a done software package... Just fill the blank...

14. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Haha... Email just arrived... I'll dig into later tonight or in the am...
    Very interested in checking that out..
    Thanks!

15. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    yes..to scott@nicks...... is that still good? it didn't bounce, spam maybe

16. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    excellent. when you get it loaded
    Target>channel list
    that will show you the whole program. Double click any channel and it will show you and let you edit it. White background stuff I wrote, grey is predefined.

Once you have a bit of a library adding stuff goes pretty quick.....once you have a bit of a library.....

The GUI, you make the screens anyway you want, literally right click add whatever, drag it, resize however you want. right click on the stuff I send and you'll see. Its geek heaven.

17. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Vannik of engmod4t and Larry Meaux of Pipemax post on speed-talk.com. Are you on there?

18. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I love that this thread has basically become our chat room. I missed you while you were gone from Fchat Mk e.

I have a Link Storm on my 308 (soon to switch to an Extreme because I don’t like the external throttle by wire module)

The 550whp turbo Mondial was running a Link Extreme too.

They may not win a data logging specification race, but they are excellent quality, fairly easy to use, dealer and user tech support is great and available almost 24 hours a day because they staff it in the US and New Zealand.

They featured me in their website once too.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    That's awesome!
    Never thought to show them the builds we do using their units...
    After using the thunder... The other units are lacking... The storm is great for when it's just fuel and spark... But the features on the thunder really make the difference.
    Walter at NZ efi is a great resource.

20. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Ages ago I think.. recently as in the last couple yrs no. Vannik is a very nice guy, crazy smart. When I first got his program it wasn't optimized for the Ferrari layout... After some input and sending him the Ferrari layouts etc... He updated the program to handle it.. That's excellent customer service!

JCR likes this.
  21. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #321 mk e, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Spec wise they look good and I'm much more teasing than saying anything bad about them.....although after seeing the website demand an email address I think the marketing guy is pretty clearly an ......hole even if the rest of the team is great.

If putting ECUs on car and getting them out the door was my business for sure something like that would be my go to. I was a big haltech fan for years, not sure they've kept up with everyone else but there was a time they were near the front and still make a very good product. Way back they were about the only ones that supported the Ferrari dual distributors so a clear choice. But it was little things that were never quite right that got me to think about motec and I thing now I've bought and resold 3 but never actually run one as I realized it wouldn't quite do what I wanted or in the case of the M150, "it costs HOW much to do that!?"

For me the point with the EL is every little thing that bothers me can be addressed....a little spot right off idle or it doesn't start quite right when I ????, stuff that probably, ok, isn't a big deal but starts to annoy me more and more over time. I wouldn't PAY anyone for the time it would take to fix it but as a hobby nothing is ever perfect so there is always something to play with making better. An ECU like EL is prefect for that...and now that I have oil pressure reading in the ECU and the dash gauge actually calibrated for the first time ever, I'm thinking I'll set a low pressure point that resets the rev limiter to around 2500 and limits the throttle to maybe 25% and lights the "slow down" light, because I can mostly........which is very different from getting the car running good and out of the shop quickly so I get paid and the customer doesn't faint.

....I'm telling though....changing ANYTHING you please is very addicting

22. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    The ridiculous e-mail mandate is pretty new. I was hit with the same thing when I visited their site yesterday.

Aaron

23. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    The email signup isn't required - it's like many, many marketing websites where they have a pop-up inviting you to sign up for their email list for announcements, sale notices, etc etc. That's all the Link one is - click on the 'X' on the top right of that pop-up box, it goes away, and you get to see the entire site.

Nothing nefarious or unusual there! :p

24. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    not on my screen, the top is cut off with no way to see or access it.....and unacceptable.

25. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Same here.