458 - Winter Storage Without Starting? | FerrariChat

458 Winter Storage Without Starting?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Richard Browne, Nov 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Hi Everyone,
    I have just bought my first Ferrari; 458 Spider 2015 / 5,100 miles.

I live in the UK and previously owned an immaculate 911 993 S which would typically be stored on a battery conditioner without starting for 6 months during the winter without ever any issues.

My question is...will the 458 be fine with being stored in a garage for 6 months over UK winter on a battery conditioner without being started?

2. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Absolutely. Mine is stored for about 5 months on a battery tender and no problem. Congrats on a great car. Mine too is a 2015 Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Thanks for the confirmation.
    Similar spec by the looks of it...Mine is Corsa with Nero interior. Have a collection video here on my channel if you'd like to see...awesome day! :)

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    How long do you guys typically store your car without starting it, on the battery tender and an OEM battery?

I’ve never kept mine over 3 months stored, for fear of ending up with a dead battery, namely if the battery isn’t new.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Hey Nuno,
    Ngcanada stated above that he has stored his on the tender for 5 months with no issues....I'll be doing the same for 6 months over this UK winter so i guess I'll find out for myself next spring. :rolleyes:

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  6. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    Apart from avoiding the nights and following morning when they put salt they put on the roads I would say nothing better than driving a sports car in winter when the sun makes a rare appearance or wrapping up warm in a convertable when it is lightly snowing and close to home :)

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The car will start up (on tender the battery will be fine) but there is a possibility of a lot of smoke at the first start... it happened once to me and I was told it's not uncommon with 458 and 488.

8. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Hi Ntatfas
    Is that how you manage your 458 throughout a UK winter?

9. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Thank you for the insight,
    Thank you for the insight, will watch out for the first startup after layup.

10. Thomas S.

Thomas S. Karting

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I have been advised to start it up for at least 10 minutes, until oil temperature is on normal working level, around every 6 weeks. Also try moving the car a bit forth and back, so the gears are moving and the oils lubricating the engine and (in case of my 550 Maranello manual) gearbox. I'm based in Germany and have a seasonal registration, so I'm not allowed to drive on public roads between November and March - but at least a few meters forth and back in the driveway.

11. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Interesting...
    I have always been under the perception that you should either drive a car regularly during the winter or if laying up, leave fully alone and do not start for short periods. It is well known that most wear is incurred during startup and starting an engine for short periods induces more wear than if just left alone. In addition, my understanding is that modern oils stick to and 'coat' the engine internals such that there is no need for them to be continually 'bathed' in oil.

ShadowLAP likes this.
  12. padebus

padebus Karting

Mar 22, 2014
    Not starting the car for months while on a good tender is not a problem. I do it since years. It is even better because running it for minutes will leave condensation water in the exhaust system each time you do it...

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Richard Browne likes this.
  13. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Hi Padebus,
    Do you roll the car forward/back now and again during storage to prevent tyre flat spots? If you do, how do you engage Car Wash Mode to allow this without starting the engine please?

14. padebus

padebus Karting

Mar 22, 2014
    Hi Richard, I don’t move the cars at all, but I increased tire pressure to 3.5at (European) to avoid flat spots. Works fine.. All my best.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

15. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Good idea, thanks Padebus.

16. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    Never considered UK weather to be an issue excepting when there is settling snow or rock salt on the roads. I do have a daily drive but prefer not to use it unless it is a very short drive or to somewhere I think the car might attract the wrong kind of attention [sigh].

See https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/70-000-mile-2015-458-spider.625737/#post-147352992 for my Ferrari on snow day, I doubt – now I am grown up! – I would do that again.

17. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Just my 2c on tyre flat spots, but rather than park on a cold concrete floor for anything longer than 3-4 weeks, I sit the car on 30mm thick foam mats.

I use 60x60cm kids playground crash mats, which are relatively inexpensive.

You would be amazed at the level of deformation.

18. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I also store my car for a good 5-6 months in the States. I have the battery tender hooked up for the entire time and as XBox said, I also but foam mats under my tires. I also increase the air pressure in the tires to approximate 42psi (per the owners manual). Lastly, I put Stabil in the fuel. I should also mention that mine is stored in a heated garage :).

19. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    I also increase tire pressure and put it on foam. Then just let is sit with tender for 5-6 months.
    But with current weather conditions (europe) winter hasn't come yet so just drive it :)

FYI my F430 was stored for 18 months once (don't ask why) and started without any issue on the first try.

20. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
    Y'all baby the cars too much. Why can't you drive it in winter?

Graz likes this.
  21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Personally I drive my cars year round. Unless there is snow on the roads or something, just cold isn't any reason not to drive them.

As far as storage, I would suggest you disconnect the battery via the negative terminal and then just reconnect it in 6 months. There is a reconnection procedure in the owners manual. It makes no sense whatsoever to leave it on a tender for 6 months when you can simply disconnect the battery.

Ray

wthensler likes this.
  22. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Massive amounts of salt on the roads here in Michigan to get rid of ice. Not really wanting that on my car.

23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, that's definitely a good reason to avoid the roads - or sell and move to a warmer climate :)

Ray

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
  25. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    If you are not using it already you can always investigate switching to a nitrogen fill for the tyres, it is more stable and reduces pressure loss over time.