458 - Spider | FerrariChat

458 Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by David Cushing, Nov 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Cushing

David Cushing Rookie

Nov 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    DAVID
    #1 David Cushing, Nov 7, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Help! I am a newbie (first Ferrari--just sold 996tt after 13 years) and am looking at the following.
    2012 458 spider, 18k miles, $356k msrp, Rosso Fuoco, darker tan interior, the dealer is asking $180k (Ferrari dealer). This is a one owner car sold by same dealership. Here's the kicker....the owner hit a pot hole. No body damage. The dealer replaced rims and tires. The passenger air bag deployed and they replaced the interior door panel. I have not driven the car yet but otherwise looks mint. The total repair bill including incidentals like oil change etc. was $39k. The owner (wealthy guy) paid in cash so would show up on Carfax. I have the repair bill. Anyway.....is this a good deal or should I avoid or make a lower offer? TIA

2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    $39K for airbag, door panel, rim? Why would a pot hole cause more than 1 rum/tire?
    I’ve heard of door airbag going off with a serious “jolt” but not a dash airbag.
    Something seems fishy to me based upon what you wrote.

3. David Cushing

David Cushing Rookie

Nov 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    DAVID
    There was more done than that actually. There were two rims (almost $10k), three tires ($1200), door panel (16k), front wheelhouse left and right ($1500) alignment, fluid service, seat belt ($1300), right overhead airbag parts/labor ($6500) etc etc. huge mark up obviously. (labor 5k and parts 32k) I have the repair order so it's all there. Must have hit it hard I guess. Can't decide what a good price point is or should stay away. I haven't driven yet.

4. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    That's quite the story ... if it were me I'd pass.

timjen88 and italiafan like this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    agree

6. David Cushing

David Cushing Rookie

Nov 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    DAVID
    I think I will pass. At least the dealer was honest about it I guess

Thanks!

7. RS458

RS458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2020
    Arizona
    You really have to appreciate honest dealers. You can be sure, however, that when this car is for sale 2 years from now it will be advertised with a clean car fax. Happens all to often. Also, not sure why anyone would pay cash regardless of how wealthy he is. Doesn't really make sense. Why would he care about a bad car fax. Many questions. Not even such a great price with those miles and those repairs. Definitely pass. At $150k and certified warranty, not a bad deal.

8. David Cushing

David Cushing Rookie

Nov 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    DAVID
    now that makes perfect sense.....the owner is a doctor that owns a bunch of urgent cares and has multiple exotic cars---and you are right....it doesn't make any sense he would give a sh*t about a bad Carfax with all his dough.

Thanks for reply

9. RazAtx

RazAtx Rookie

Oct 6, 2019
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Raza Haider
    Keep looking. You can find the right car without any of these dodgy things

10. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Pass. None of it adds up. A powerful jolt can cause airbags to go off, but that really has to be severe.

Here's what I think happened. Look at the repairs. That is NOT a pot hole. My guess is that the owner lost control and hit a kerb stone head on. Smashed both front rims, the housings, destroyed the tyres, set off the airbags etc. Airbag deployment is in part also dependent on axis. When the car hits a kerb head on, it registers as a frontal collision.

Avoid the car, and avoid that dealer. They are dishonest.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    They were not honest! They told you a crack pot pothole story that does not add up. They tried to pass it off as much minor than it actually is. Please be vigilant.

A shame. Gorgeous config.

Tito1969 and timjen88 like this.
  13. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Hard pass!

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Believe it or not it happened to my friend in a 2010 458. I was right behind him as it happened . Car was lowered on Novitec and booooooom . Airbag exploded (passenger). Ferrari blamed the novitec springs and he fixed it for 15k. Eventually the city paid for the repairs (in parts).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't think anybody denies it can happen. The issue lies in the inconsistencies with the repairs. Three tyres, two wheels, both front inner fenders etc. That is not a pot hole, that is a kerb head on more than likely.

16. RS458

RS458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2020
    Arizona
    There is some really good info and opinions here. In fact, I now know that its "curb" in the US and "kerb" outside the US. You never know what you can learn on Ferrarichat.

Eds458 likes this.
  17. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Who changes 3 tires and leaves the 4th unchanged? Really? The different date codes on both rear tires would be enough to make me walk away....

18. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    Just out of curiosity, how long ago were the repairs done? Was this something that happened, was repaired, then immediately put up for sale? Or was it several years and thousands of miles ago?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

16K for a door card?
    That is hilarious: one could get a door card made out of hand fabricated sterling silver for that amount. What a joke, if you buy it find an honest mechanic, personally I would run.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  21. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    39.000 USD for hitting a pothole? Mighty pothole that was. Meteor crater more like. Also, if true, no suspension/steering parts replaced? In a 39.000 incident, seems improbable.

On the plus side, you have the invoice for that, so it’s always nice to have the full story.

On the down side, the price doesn’t reflect that this is a car that has history, and there is no shortage of clean, mint 458s out there even if at a premium.

Pass or don’t pass: take your time. I know some dealers have waiting lists on 458s and you have to be quick to nail the right deal, but don’t rush it.

Kind regards,

Nuno.