Which CATS... | FerrariChat

Which CATS...

Discussion in '348/355' started by CCWillF355, Nov 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CCWillF355

CCWillF355 Karting

Nov 14, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Williams
    Which sport Cats do you recommend? I already have capristo exhaust and bypass value, + Tubi Style Manifolds.

Any advice welcome.

Julia likes this.
  2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I would just recore the OEM catalysts. That’s what I did after the ceramic cores started to fail. Had them cut open, 200 cell high flow metallic cores inserted and welded up. Once polished there is no detectable difference from stock.

Julia likes this.
  3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Larini or Tubi are good choices if you just want to buy something.

4. CCWillF355

CCWillF355 Karting

Nov 14, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Williams
    I assume 200 cell material is the same as OEM? Like the idea though.

5. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    200 cell is less restrictive than stock so it’s an improvement. And depending on the catalyst substrate material some are ceramic later versions are metallic you will have more longevity from metal core catalyst. This method is much cheaper than buying Capristo or Tubi Catalytic converters by a long way too.

CCWillF355 and fboutlaw like this.
  6. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    What are you looking to do? Did the OEM's fail or are we just looking to spend money on something that will lower the value of our vehicle?

There's nothing wrong with the OEM's unless they're broken. If you want the least restrictive cat, get the OEM ones re-cored. I had Fabspeed do the recore a year back and their work was top notch. If you want no restriction run a test pipe. Illegal except on track, but always an option.

7. CCWillF355

CCWillF355 Karting

Nov 14, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Williams
    When I purchased the car it had test pipes, came with original CATS but one is in pieces inside. I personally think straight pipes are too loud. The drone of the idle is headache inducing. So want to put Cats back on, so considering options. Sounds like recore original is a good way to go.

8. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have Evoflow cats high flow cats on my car. They were reasonably priced. As fboutlaw posted Fabspeed sells high flow cats or can recore your originals.

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I have Nouvalari cats on my car. When I bought them that were $1100/pair. Pretty much all 200 cell cats use the same core.

10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I have nouvilari on my 348 and unbranded ones from superformance in my 355. Both around £1.2k.

tubi and cap are nice but the price is nuts in my view.

cutting the oem ones and recording is a good idea.

jimmym likes this.
  11. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    OK, good reason.

If you want to reduce idle drone recore the OEM cats, but also... that capristo bypass valve will add a ton of idle drone. I bought one, used it for a week, went back to OEM and much happier (I did want to spend money, and that was a mistake).

CCWillF355 likes this.
  12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    OEM cells are roughly around 600-800. After-market, you generally see 100 or 200.

I'd look for cheap gutted cores in the used market place before messing with the ones you have, although only one side is good.

I have a set of gutted cores I might consider re-coring with 100 cells. I'm just not sure if 100 cells will pass CA emissions legit or not. 200 cells certainly would.

CCWillF355 likes this.
  13. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    You must have not installed the vacuum lines and solenoid correctly. The Capristo bypass does nothing for idle drone if it’s operating correctly. It works in reverse of OEM so if vacuum is not present it will stay open. Making it louder at idle.

OCKlasse likes this.
  14. CCWillF355

CCWillF355 Karting

Nov 14, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Williams
    #14 CCWillF355, Nov 9, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    With one needing recoring and the other questionable. I might just get them recored. Does anyone know somewhere in the UK?

15. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I think a lot of people in 2020 went with Demo cats :)

16. CCWillF355

CCWillF355 Karting

Nov 14, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Williams
    Demo Cats?

17. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    This side of the pond political joke......Democrats and republicans. Whig/Tory. I know, it wasnt too funny.

CCWillF355 likes this.