812 as a daily driver in the UK | FerrariChat

812 as a daily driver in the UK

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by bobhitch, Sep 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm Considering changing my 911 turbo daily driver for an 812.
    Anybody daily their's in the UK all year round.
    If so , any problems or, with the right tyres is it a winner?

cheers,Bob

2. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I have had 3 (!!) its a magnificent car, but the ride is very hard and the car is huge. It has a crashing ride on UK roads and is a very fast GT. Happy on A roads upwards. I took my last one 200 miles one day and the race seats were back ache inducing. The engine is a masterpiece. Wonderful value for money and striking. I loved mine but its much less relaxing than a 911, you will stress over multi storeys, car parks etc.

Much more sense of occasion than a 911T ( I have had a few of them also).

Buy one and a Golf R.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks,Scraggy,
    re racing seats - I have them in my 488 spider and find them comfy and aesthetically miles better than the electric seats.
    However , did you have the standard seats in any of the three and which would you say is better for daily driving?
    Also , Suspension lifter ,yes or no?
    I don't have it on the 488 and have never found that to be a problem.
    Cheers,Bob

4. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    I've just taken the plunge on an F12 (not quite the same but not far off) and have put over 1,200 miles on it in my first month of ownership.
    Comments:
    1) If you're going to do lots of long trips, racing seats are probably a no - too hard. Go for the Daytonas. If your daily is just a few miles this is less of an issue
    2) Bumpy road mode makes a difference - not massive - so I often forget to put it on - but some. The ride is remarkably compliant and on a recent long drive through the southwest (over 600 miles in 2 days) my wife was quite happy doing a crossword in the passenger seat. She described the ride as being better/softer than my C7 RS6
    3) It's fine driving around B roads - or smaller. It's not that wide at 1940mm. It's narrower (40mm) than my RS6 and just wider than my Macan Turbo (14mm). It doesn't feel anywhere near as big as the RS6 on the road. Our trip to the southwest included some very small Devon lanes and bridges around Dartmoor and I certainly wasn't worried. If you're a less confident driver any car of this width could be a problem even your 911 Turbo is about 1910mm
    4) When it's very warm and you're in town traffic, the auto box is a bit clunky and you get a smoother ride using the paddles
    5) Suspension lifter is a must as is the high powered hi-fi as the stock speakers are rubbish
    6) It's not that scary in the wet - just don't drive a rear wheel car with over 700bhp like an idiot
    7) It will drink fuel even if you're 'driving miss daisy'

MB224, xBox, SeattleStew and 5 others like this.
  5. seawise

seawise Karting

Feb 29, 2016
    Sussex, UK
    I don't think it would make an especially relaxing daily ! Even if the dimensions show that it's not especially wide, because you sit so far back behind a very lengthy bonnet and low, it feels big. And forget about multi-story car parks and London width restrictions, gave me the twitches when i tried with mine. Also the ride is firm, and it's hardly a relaxed cruiser, the throttle is very sensitive, steering fast and it's quite short geared in top.

Wonderful for road trips and blasts, but not everyday. I use a Golf R estate as a daily, then who cares if you curb an alloy, get pushed into a hedge, old bill don't look twice, no tailgaters etc etc etc.

MDEL and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would certainly get one to try first. You need to take it and try parking and manoeuvring it around your normal daily route. I would not go near a multi story car park with one. It feels huge, primarily as someone said, due to where you sit. I don't have an issue with he race seats , but would not normally go over 200 miles in one sitting. Front camera is a must for me, to get out of junctions or tight lanes, the nose is that long. A Portofino is a much easier daily driver. In winter, you have to go careful, as tyres have no heat in them, and even the traction systems struggle if you are heavy on accelerator. A seasonal change to winter tyres would help hugely. You should avoid diamond cut wheels if you risk lots of city damage. But despite this, it is a very easy car to drive and is quite able to amble along. But really, I would try it first.

MDEL and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I have the full electric Daytona and find them to be very comfortable. I also have added the lift and the surround camera which address the parking and slopes issues. I do think that parking is a risk for any exotic. I use a RR for many daily trips but the 812 gets used where I know I can safely park, I have 1900 miles since April and that's just around town driving. We have some pretty bad streets here in Austin and I tend to avoid them in the 812.

MB224 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill

9. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    One thing I will say is that the 812 is spectacular in the rain as long as you have it in wet mode. You can get on it and it'll just give you as much as the traction it can find. Extremely drivable compared to some other high powered cars in the rain.

Nicky_Santoro, MB224 and JTSE30 like this.
  10. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks Jag,

Do you drive yours through the winter in all weathers?

As I mentioned, I am a fan of the cf racing seats in my 488 spider -do you have these or electric seats and do you have the suspension lifter (I don't have one in the 488 and it has never been an issue.)
    ps. I believe we are in the same profession ,I hope the Covid ****show hasn't impacted you too much.

Cheers,Bob

11. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I think people are quite impartial above we always want to say our cars are amazing but there are a few hints above that the car is high maintenance. By the way a GTC Lusso is no better, or if so is tiny margins.

In the UK my guess is 50pc of first owners are out of their 812, hardly a ringing endorsement, even if the car was bought for other reasons. I do not have one right now.

I have always had a front lift, essential for London, not needed often but binary when you do need it (I have a Performante Spyder (PS) which is much lower and lift essential). I find the standard seats rather unattractive. I have always had race seats in all my F, maybe I am getting older but that last trip was not great in them. And thats in Alcantara, which is softer and grippier.

Low gearing above is a good point, also see Metcalfe review. The cars sits at quite high revs. It’s very alert and not really a cruiser.

I could imagine if I lived in the Hamptons or Florida this is a daily drive, London yes but with a Golf R for back up. Will get trashed if parked on the streets.

My Perf bizarrely is much nicer around town mainly due to sitting forward in the car and it feeling compact. In fact its as good a car as I ever owned.

I think the 812 is an incredible achievement and lovely to own, as opposed to a daily. I think an Aston DBS SL or Bent GT, image aside and much inferior race cars, would be easier daily.

Urban wise you cant beat a Macan GTS with PDK.

Also I adore the new Taycan. I did not want to love it, but in case you haven’t tried it I with an open mind its mind blowing inc handling and steering. 812 felt very cumbersome and jerky after. Electric is going to be incredible, noise aside.

JagShergill, Caeruleus11 and Frank_C like this.
  12. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    If you want to daily a Ferrari V12 then the Lusso or FF is the one to get.

No problem driving mine all year round (winter tyres) and it’s supremely comfortable. Driving for 7hrs and 500 miles in one go is bread and butter for these cars - something I can’t manage in my BMW.
    The gearbox can be a bit dim-witted around town if left in comfort. The trick is to leave it in sport!

13. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Hi Bob

Yes , I drive the 812 in all weathers - I normally drive mainly in Race mannetino mode as love the sound

14. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Hi Bob , sorry my fat fingers pressed reply whilst replying ! Doesn’t bode well for a guy in our profession :) ( btw yes , the **** storm right Royal c#¥< up of COVID handling has been challenging with AGP fallow time , but we jump through hoops hey?! DM me if your local and fancy an AGP free moan!)
    I have electric seats in the 812 and v comfy and definitely need a lift around Warwickshire - for daily , those 2 were essential for me ....

All the best !
    Regards

15. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Holding deposit paid, hopefully I will be collecting the 812 in the next couple of weeks (lockdowns permitting) any advice on all season / winter tyres welcome.
    Thanks,Bob

16. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Ok, interest is peaked...if you don’t mind sharing, what industry? Fun to know what we all do for biz. I am a Northern California cliche...tech ;)

17. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
  18. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    There aren’t any all season tyres which fit - and even if there were, it wouldn’t make sense to use them.

For the summers, get Michelin.
    For the winters, get Michelin.

Il co-pilota is the resident expert on tyres. I’m sure he’ll be along to advise.

Il Co-Pilota and sampelligrino like this.
  19. irvinest

irvinest Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    UK
    You wont regret it. I just clicked up 6,666miles on my 2018 812 yesterday. I alternate between it and my f12 (I just couldn't part with it) as my daily driver. F12 was a Mar 2017 model which now has 11k miles on it.

MB224 likes this.
  20. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Use mine as a daily (6500 miles since April '19).Park it on street in Central London.
    So far no problems and every trip is an event.
    Big plus of using it regularly is that I have never put it on a battery charger and never had an issue.

MB224 likes this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you want to run your 812 as,a yearly daily, you need summer and winter tyres. It will be dangerous in the cold weather on summer sandals. It does not have to be a hassle to swap between tyres. I'm sure your dealer both offers the swap and storage for the tyres not in use. Like was said, there are no all-seasons that will fit well.

There aren't a ton of choices for winter boots in a good size, but there are two that sticks out. One is Michelin PA4 and the other is Continental TS860S. I'm more partial to the latter in general. The PA4 is great, but it is also close a decade old tech wise. Run them in normal 27t/315 config. Unless you plan on plowing or go on a skiing trip, those will suit you best and retain most of the cars attributes.
    As part of your new car purchase, get the K spec MPS4S summer tyres. Everything about the car will be better. I find that the most significant difference over the PZ4 is that the car hunts and darts a lot less, and overall comfort is improved.

IF you want to try an all-season shoe, there is only one choice available. Unigrip Lateral Force 4S. Oh yes, the best ofcthe best China has to offer in all-season mediocrity...
    For the love of all things holy - DON'T!

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MB224 likes this.
  22. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    For what it’s worth I run Continental DWS06 with oem sizes on my 812. Maybe they aren’t available in the EU? 2000 miles with them in wet cold weather and I’m enjoying them a lot so far. They feel great in the wet, but not as competent as a summer tire in the dry. They do good in dry, you won’t be disappointed by them, just not the same grip as a summer tire on a warm day.

I have some Michelin PS4s sitting on a 2nd set of wheels that will be ready for warm weather. I have 2 sets of the TDF style forged wheel for my 812.

MB224 likes this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    US tyre.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Great- thanks all
    I'm collecting it on Thursday and the dealer is putting Michelin winter tyres on it in advance.
    I will likely get a second set of wheels to put the summer tyres , then just sip them out at the end of spring.
    Always exciting to get a new car so I'm looking forward to putting some miles on it.
    We have ordered the new model Bentayga for my wife which will arrive in the new year so I can always steal that on a super sh**y day :0)

25. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    A
    I agree with all your comments about the F12. However, concerning the F12 racing seats I just would like to make a remark. I have them on my F12 and I've used them with my wife in many long trips non stop around 300 - 400 Km. The truth is that we find these seats comfortable and none of us ever had to see the chiropractic after arriving from these trips.

MB224 likes this.