Terry Meeler Exotic Coach | FerrariChat

Terry Meeler Exotic Coach

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Steelton Keith, Oct 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    dear friends. I just learned Terry was in a devastating car crash. He is in Duke ICU.

2. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    I just found out myself. I brought my 308 to him Tuesday and just called in to his shop to get an update and was told. This is horrible. My prayers are with him. JP

3. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    :( That's very sad. I don't know Terry personally, but he seems to be held in very high regard among Triangle FChatters, and I hope he pulls through.

4. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Note from Bob today that Terry remains in critical condition. For those who believe in the power of prayer, this is a good time to put it to the test. Keith

AD211 likes this.
  5. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    I heard from Bob via email just a few minutes ago that Terry was taken off life support last night and passed away. I don’t have any other news. My condolences goes out to the family.

6. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    I've been in touch with Bob for the past week...this is so shocking and sad. I've known Terry for 15 years and really enjoyed all my time with him. He was quite a character.

We'll soon have funeral info and when we do I hope we'll have a big turnout of Ferraris in his honor.

Diehl Jones likes this.
  7. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Thank you gentlemen and I join you in your sorrow. I feel bad for Bob and Terry's son. Terry was very kind to my wife Janet. He got the biggest kick out of this petite senior lady roaring around taking her 430 to the grocery story, nail salon, etc. I remember my first visit to Bob and Terry in the old place back in 2008 I think when they helped me and shared their knowledge as I was about to purchase my first Ferrari. That turned out to be my 87 328 GTS which thanks to Terry is solid as a rock and runs as well today as it did when I bought it way back then. I wish you peace, Terry.

jackson likes this.
  8. Diehl Jones

Diehl Jones Rookie

Jul 3, 2020
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Diehl Jones
    So sad! Terry was someone I looked forward to seeing. He will be missed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I am absolutely crushed...absolutely crushed. Terry has been a good friend of 12 years. I would run by the shop just to chat with him. Terry was such a gentle soul who had a way of informing you (in his special way) that some part or previous repair on your car was absolute rubbish...he always made me smile.

Terry’s passing leaves a massive hole in the Ferrari, Alfa, Maserati, and overall sports car community and will be missed more than I can begin to comprehend.

Our family’s thoughts & prayers are with Terry’s son and family. I’m numb.

jackson and Diehl Jones like this.
  10. Diehl Jones

Diehl Jones Rookie

Jul 3, 2020
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Diehl Jones
    You said it so well!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Stunned, shocked, and deeply saddened. Terry has been a customer, confidante, and friend for 15 years. We probably spoke once or twice per week for all those years, and he had a unique way of allowing me to smile and cry simultaneously when describing the Ferrari world.

My son's Alfa Spider is in their shop now -- Terry was the kind of person who allowed me to drop off the car with a blank check and say (honestly, and from the heart) "do whatever it takes to make the car right, I trust you and whatever decisions you make".

He will be missed greatly.

Diehl Jones likes this.
  12. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I was hoping all the new posts weren't going to be in regards to this. Condolences to everyone, very sad situation.

13. Jim Ott

Jim Ott Rookie

Nov 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    James W. Ott
    Terrible news! Terry has been looking after my cars (at one garage or another) for over 30 years. Such a great guy and I always looked forward to seeing him. My 328 is actually at his shop now. He was a significant part of the glue that connects the various Italian car nuts in the Triangle.
    Condolences to his family and everyone at Exotic Coach.

Diehl Jones likes this.
  14. BobinNC

BobinNC Rookie

Oct 15, 2013
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Bob Breed
    I expect that there will be a memorial service on 11/14 here in the Raleigh area. As soon as I know the details, I’ll post them.

Owens84QV likes this.
  15. jackson

jackson Karting

Dec 3, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Jack McCausland
    I was lucky enough to know Terry for the past 13 years as he worked on both my 308 and later my Mondial t Coupe. I first met Terry when I started my search for the 308. I was single then, no kids, and Terry was gracious with his time and his breadth of knowledge when it came to the cars I insisted we go through. He didn't mince words and he had no time for the sort of adoration that I being a young fanboy placed at the base of the brand. But he ultimately helped me fulfill a dream in that car. "I think we did good," was what he said when my '83 308 arrived and his approval at that moment, was as glorious a badge as the Prancing Horse itself.

I went on to own that car for the next seven years and the Mondial for another 5 after that. I visited Terry and Bob and then Josh every chance I got. The trips, now having a wife and kids in tow, were always worth the cost of admission (that bank note and those invoices) as the cars and the stories and the way that Terry told them made every call to the shop a memorable one. I will always hold on to those memories fondly and remember Terry as a friend who unknowingly taught me that the most special thing about these cars are in fact the people around them. "Yeah they're special alright," I can hear him say. ;) I'll miss you Terry - thank you for everything.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Thanks for posting pics of Terry. I’m struggling to find any. Classic pose in the first one.

BobinNC, Steelton Keith and jackson like this.
  17. moto5127

moto5127 Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Thank you for posting pics of Terry as well. I knew Terry for about 6 years. He serviced my 360 for a few years when I lived in Raleigh area. I heard the news from Bob today. Such a great guy. Terry, you will be missed very much and thank you!

jackson likes this.
  18. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    I really wish I had a Terry story, but the first time I had a good conversation with him was last Tuesday. I had dropped my car off with what was thought to be a fuel pump problem. By the time i had paid Perry who flat bedded the car over, Terry had my car started and running. Seems it was a fuse block issue after all. We talked Ferraris and discussed how my Japanese Italian Abarth was supposed to really be an Alfa and I said i would see him Friday to pick her up. I had no idea I wouldn’t see him again. It’s really sad. I offered my personal condolences to his son this morning. I just don’t have any more words...

Diehl Jones and nicholasn like this.
  19. BobinNC

BobinNC Rookie

Oct 15, 2013
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Bob Breed
    Terry’s memorial service will be held at the Crosspoint Church 1001 Steeple Square Ct. in Knightdale N.C. on Saturday 11/14. Visitation at 1 PM. Service at 2 PM.
    Bob

Diehl Jones, nicholasn and jackson like this.
  20. tirekiller

tirekiller Rookie

Mar 9, 2010
    #20 tirekiller, Nov 6, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    I just received the FCA notice about Terry, then a search yielded these posts...wow...I was just there a couple weeks ago....every visit turned into at least 30 minutes of talking about mundane things from Ferrari's to politics...aside from his mechanic abilities I always enjoyed our talks...it's very saddening...he will be missed.

Diehl Jones likes this.
  21. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    Very sorry to hear about Terry. I knew him several years ago. I'm struggling for words on this.

22. ncm6cabrio

ncm6cabrio Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 28, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike M.
    I echo all the sentiments here. Terry was definitely one of a kind and our small community has suffered a great loss. Every visit was filled with great conversation. He will be missed. Condolences to his family, hopefully, they are aware of how he had such a positive impact on so many people's lives.

moto5127 and Diehl Jones like this.
  23. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Since I cannot be at his funeral this Saturday, I will say a few words here. He simply made my dreams come true...especially my 10 year old son at the time. I'm writing trying to hold back tears, but here goes. I purchased an '81 308 GTSi in 2001, but was a "racer" and quickly deteriorated in a few years. At that time, purse strings were held tight and so the "garage queen" sat and dreams dashed. Sixteen years later, as the kids moved on and business started to pick up, I met Terry just last year and said he had a restored engine sitting in his lobby. I took that as an answer to prayers and pulled the trigger. We had great talks and he meticulously brought it back to life and now is in perfect driving condition! Thank you Terry! You will be missed, my friend. My deepest condolences to the family.

24. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    All...funeral is tomorrow. I do hope we have a large showing of Ferraris for Terry.

I plan to be there in an F-car (not sure which one, probably 599 or 612). Who else plans to be there?

25. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    I will not be attending as I and my wife are in a high risk group for COVID and are not really attending any gatherings of any size. I expressed my condolences to his son when I saw him last week. I wish you all the best tomorrow. JP

Diehl Jones likes this.