Going to the dark side. Hope to come back soon! | FerrariChat

Going to the dark side. Hope to come back soon!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Whatupdoc, Nov 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Whatupdoc

Whatupdoc Karting

Feb 17, 2020
    Sold the 458 Spyder Rosso Corsa with almost every carbon option for a damn 2020 Evo Spyder. I still admire the 458 but have zero regrets about the switch. Hope to own cars from both brands at the same time one day but just felt that would be irresponsible in my current situation, so we made the easy switch to the Huracan Evo. Wife and I went for a quick test drive in the evo at our local dealership and truth be told we really weren’t serious about buying a different car when we got there... we ended up walking out of the dealership at 11 PM that same night proud Lamborghini owners.

Starting this thread because “wthensler” asked what I thought about the evo vs 458 in a different thread and didn’t want to go off topic for that other OP.

Of note, I’ve been a lifelong tifosi, will always love Ferrari in F1 and as a brand. Hoping to get back into one with the f8 Spyder next year. Yes I still wear Ferrari gear in the lambo because 1) I want to and 2) don’t care.

The evo to me is just “better” in almost every way compared to the 458.

First off, the evo is a seriously fast car. At our local Ferrari driver’s group we drive the hell out of our cars. Like 190+ on back roads if you’re stupid enough and the 458 just felt underpowered compared to the other vehicles. A couple months ago I was going full throttle in the 458 vs a FF that had a passenger in it and I couldn’t keep up! That was the beginning of the end for the 458 for me lol.

My Evo Spyder is awd so off the line it really kicks you back. On street tires mine did 2.8 0-60 according to Dragy. 0-125 was around 9 seconds, quarter mile under 11. On a roll it keeps up easily with the 488 and even the SV. They just did a wonderful job with the transmission, love how it puts the power down. Not sure if it was just my 458 but the transmission wasn’t always that quick or responsive in the Ferrari. Sometimes there was a hesitation and often times even in calm cruising the gear changes just weren’t that smooth.
    Handling is superb in the evo, and I think the rear wheel steering works quite well. It doesn’t feel natural which is kind of good and kind of bad. It “kicks in” not so subtly sometimes but still very much confidence inspiring in the twisties. Point the nose somewhere and you’re sure that’s where the car is going. Also I don’t have to do 3 point turns on EVERY street downtown. Turning radius sucked in the 458 but is excellent on the evo. Downforce is improved on the evo because of the aero package. Don’t know the numbers but feels more planted than the 458.

Fit and finish is fantastic. NO MORE STICKIES for me, no weird squeaking or rattling noises behind the seat or by the rear deck lid like I used to in my 458. The cockpit really does feel like you’re sitting in a fighter jet. The digital dash is beautiful and I personally dig the large digital touch screen even though it has it’s quirks (I too wish there was just a knob for volume but after a week you get used to changing the volume with a slide of your two fingers).

The exterior is just impeccable on the evo. The front end of the 458 always looked a bit soft to me, like a fish was looking at me with it’s mouth open. I almost bought the “prior design” front end just to give that car a more... modern look. Conversely, I don’t think you’d find many that would say that the Huracan is an ugly car. Very aggressive profile, no curves, just hard edges and the REAR of the car is so much more refined than the previous generation. The old Huracan rear end looked like it was missing something and that something is the center exhaust and grill around it. Looks like machine gun barrels are coming out the back.

Damn. Speaking about the exhaust, I don’t know how they were able to make the evo that loud yet legal. In Strada (comfort mode) it’s as quiet as can be. In Corsa the valves are wide open and you can look right into the cats glowing after you’ve driven the car a bit. The pops bangs and burbles come stock with the car. No tune needes. Oh, flames. They shoot out your back end STOCK as well. Exhaust note is great. No offense to the 458, I do like that high pitch f1 esque scream but it also sounds like a crotch rocket sometimes. The evo sounds mean and throaty without sounding like a mustang or something trashy.
    Stock wheels are beautiful. Looks like it was designed by Vossen or something (I have the Narvi wheels).

It’s a 2020 car so naturally it’s a bit more tech savvy. Parking sensors, rear camera, lift system, Apple CarPlay, home link etc is nice to have.

Last (for now) and most important, the wife loves this car. She actually is very judgemental and does NOT like Lamborghini as a brand, called it the car for “wannabes and players” but couldn’t get over how nice the evo was. She loved the interior In that you knew you were stepping into something nice as opposed to how plain the 458 was. She loves how smooth the ride is in the evo in strada. The 458 was not a harsh drive like an aventador but that transmission isn’t the smoothest either, even in wet mode. My wjfe is extremely prone to motion sickness and hasn’t had that problem yet in the evo for some reason, but maybe that has more to do with who is driving...
    Oh stupid little thing, hopkingnupnthe battery tender is a breeze in the evo compared to the 458.

Definitely some cons, main thing is probably price. The sticker on my car is 330k which is a medium priced Evo Spyder awd. For thst you really can be looking at a new 720s Spyder or f8?? I got mine used so thank you to the previous owner for taking the initial depreciation...

If you’re taller than six feet forget it, you won’t fit well in the Evo Spyder, I’m 5’8”.

Miss the hard top of the 458. It looked so good. Soft tops are just ok looking to me closed. I only have the top closed when it’s raining or on the drive to go to dinner so her hair doesn’t get “messed up”. Otherwise it’s open 90% of the time.

I don’t like the look of Lamborghini’s forged carbon fiber and if you want the weave carbon fiber on the interior they only do it as a wrap... wtf! The wrap looks great but I’ll know it’s just plastic underneath

I scrape the front even with the lift system up. Never scraped the front of the 458 once.

Could go on and on about pros and cons, hope that helps a little “wthensler” happy to answer any questions you have.

2014 458 Spyder (sold)
    2020 Huracan Evo Spyder

DGPF, gliazzurri, Dr. K and 5 others like this.
  2. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Great paragraph :) Any pics ?

MDS

3. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Haha, you should try driving a 1990's Ferrari (I have one...) and having to squeeze the gas pedal to pass the multi-hundred horsepower minivans, Accords and Camrys on the road these days! :eek:

4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I felt the same way when I drove them back to back (regular Huracan, they didn’t have an Evo to test) the Lamborghini was very exiting, the 458 was dull. If it wasn’t for the Spider ergonomics being so poor, pretty sure I would have placed an order.

5. Whatupdoc

Whatupdoc Karting

Feb 17, 2020
    DGPF, Cigarzman, VAF84 and 6 others like this.
  6. Whatupdoc

Whatupdoc Karting

Feb 17, 2020
    Cigarzman, Boomhauer and tomc like this.
  7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The Evo Spyder is a fun car. But the Evo RWD Spyder is a really exciting car, at a different level again. Curious as to why you didn’t go for that one?

at points when you’re on or near the limit and the regular Evo starts to feel just a bit like an Audi or 911TT, the RWD feels, well, RWD. More fun than a 488 or a 720S for sure.

Either way, enjoy! They’re all great cars.

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" :D

9. Andynyc

Andynyc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2017
    NYC!
    congrats looks amazing, love the red interior

10. Whatupdoc

Whatupdoc Karting

Feb 17, 2020
    I’m not into getting TOO excited in the car. I’ve seen my fair share of us novices with ridiculous cars losing their back ends for one reason or another. We don’t have the best driving roads where I am at and I just felt way more secure coming out of corners with the torque vectoring in the awd.

In summation, I’m a ***** and not the best driver in the world (certainly not a bad one) so I picked the “safer” car for me.

Awd felt a lot quicker as well, especially off the line, for obvious reasons.

2014 458 Spyder (sold)
    2020 Huracan Evo Spyder

11. Whatupdoc

Whatupdoc Karting

Feb 17, 2020
    Yeah for a 300k+ car I wish it was ****ing perfect. Is that too much to ask for? I guess so.

2014 458 Spyder (sold)
    2020 Huracan Evo Spyder

12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats I love Lambos I had a Diablo SV that I wish I still owned. Just curious if you love Ferrari why you didn’t go for an F8?

13. Whatupdoc

Whatupdoc Karting

Feb 17, 2020
    Mainly because of what’s available right now and budget! Would love a red F8 Spyder but people I know who got in early are still waiting for their builds to be completed. I would love to buy in the used market for obvious reasons and those won’t be available until 2022 probably. I’ll definitely get back into a Ferrari. I’m hoping it’ll be a F8 or really my dream would be to hold out for a Pista. A new F8 or a Pista in any form is just out of the budget for now.

I got the evo for 280, my budget was to stay under 300. I know there are some f8 coupes for sale right now but not sure how much they’re going for. Must be mid 3s?

2014 458 Spyder (sold)
    2020 Huracan Evo Spyder

14. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Makes sense my F8 coupe was $370

15. Whatupdoc

Whatupdoc Karting

Feb 17, 2020
    Wow congrats I just read your post and review of the f8 vs 458. Excellent topic

To bounce it back at you why F8 and not the Pista?

I feel like I’ve seen a Pista or two go for under 400 and I have this glimmer of hope that unlike the speciale, since they made so many more Pistas that maybe they will somehow go down substantially in price in the future.

2014 458 Spyder (sold)
    2020 Huracan Evo Spyder

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Congrats!!! Thanks for the cool post and background. She's a beauty!!

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Congrats!
    It’s great to switch teams once in a while.
    Interestingly, I went the opposite direction...had a Perf which had a ton of character - loud, fast and smooth. But just felt too smooth for me.
    Traded the Perf for a Speciale, very different characteristics - light, agile and nimble. I actually prefer the DCT in the Speciale because I can feel the gear shifts (could not feel this in the Perf - it was too smooth).
    No right or wrong, just drive what you like to feel. You definitely chose the right color! ;)
    But I love Lambo’s so had to add a V12....yes the Dark side is strong.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Whatupdoc

Whatupdoc Karting

Feb 17, 2020
    WHAT A PHOTO.

thank you so much for sharing that. YES I know what you mean by the Huracan being “smooth” and again ironically the quickness and ease in which the car shifts was one of the reasons we went with it. The speciale is also just a riot, well done with that, as well as the murcielago and the vantage. Incredible line up. What’s next for you??? You could have had an aventador SV for the price of the Murci SV ya? Good Investment I suppose on the latter!

2014 458 Spyder (sold)
    2020 Huracan Evo Spyder

plastique999 likes this.
  19. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    My man! You have one hell of a collection. I hope you are putting some serious miles on those machines and not just parking them in the garage. If you ever need someone to run up some miles for you, give me a ring. ;)

plastique999 likes this.
  20. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Jeez, I could have written this myself, literally verbatim. Having recently put 3,000 miles on the 458 Spider under all conditions and roads in the Allegheny Mountains, I’ve really been able to tease out the strengths and weaknesses of the 458. It is an awesome piece of work. My single biggest beef, and I don’t know if it’s just my car, is the brake modulation. And yes, it has more bark than bite.

Both my wife and I loved the EVO, but I’m going to rent one for a weekend to see if I can live with the fit. A shame a 5’-11” guy is discriminated against based on size, LOL!

Time will tell, but in your position I think you’ve made the right move, and congratulations.

21. Whatupdoc

Whatupdoc Karting

Feb 17, 2020
    Oh man I almost forgot about the brakes in the 458. Just had a flashback to the first time having to slow down quickly and “thinking” that the brakes in the 458 do not work and absolutely mashing on them. I get why they do that and why it’s good on the track but didn’t like it for every day driving.

Do you care if it’s a convertible? Would recommend the evo coupe if you don’t, you definitely get a few more inches in the hard top.

Either way have fun hope you enjoy it! You can’t lose either way...

2014 458 Spider (sold)
    2020 Huracan Evo Spyder

22. Whatupdoc

Whatupdoc Karting

Feb 17, 2020
    I had to share this photo to you from a well known ferrarista down here in south Florida. I’m sure he is on here and I hope he doesn’t mind me sharing his photo (please message me if you do and I’ll remove it!)

I thought you’d enjoy his taste in car color

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2014 458 Spider (sold)
    2020 Huracan Evo Spyder

nicholasn, VAF84, Thecadster and 6 others like this.
  23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    He has great taste!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Whatupdoc

Whatupdoc Karting

Feb 17, 2020
  25. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT

Wow great color and build specs on that. How does it feel going from a V10 NA to a turbo V8 RWD? First turbo'd Ferrari since the F40...