355 - Oil Filter does not wanna come loose | FerrariChat

355 Oil Filter does not wanna come loose

Discussion in '348/355' started by salbrech, Nov 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi everyone,
    hope some of the DIY guys can advice me.

I tried today to change first time my F355 engine oil filter with this tool:
    https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=Ferrari+Maserati+OIL+FILTER+TOOL+for+360+F430+348+F355+197654+234742+188814+...&_sacat=0

Unfortunately it did not come lose, I applied for sure 100Nm and the tool already showed some first signs of damage. How much torque do you guess you need to open it? I guess the manual says tightening it with 40Nm? On my other cars and bikes, I normally tighten a bit more than hand-tight. Never had an oil leak or lost a filter in 25 years.
    Looks like I need a breaker bar to get it lose.

Best regards, Simon

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
  3. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I’ve never needed to use a tool or wrench to get the filter off my F355. Never been more than hand tight.

I would guess that either the filter hasn’t been changed for a long time, the rubber o ring wasn’t lubricated when fitted or maybe there is some cross threading (although unlikely).

If the can is still intact, maybe try running the engine to get it hot and try undoing it when it’s hot, or try it cold if you already tried while it was hot.

Anyway, it needs to come off, even if you end up cutting it off.

308 GTB likes this.
  4. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    A. Hill engineering's F355 oil filter removal tool is milled and going to be much stronger than a stamped metal tool
    B. You should run the engine and have hot oil recently in the oil filter and around the inside of the rubber gasket. I'd also let some oil soak on the outside of the rubber gasket if it's stuck.
    C. Yeah, it takes a bit of initial torque to break the oil filter free. 100NM = 73lf-lbs. That does seem high. The setting Torque is 25NM, but break free is always higher.

308 GTB and Qavion like this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    308 GTB likes this.
  6. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    Many thanks for all the good recommendations.
    Looks my newly purchased tool will go to the scrap metal soon :)

(15 years in the gas turbine industry, but failing on a F355 oil filter change :-( . What a day. Plus its raining :-(

Best regards

308 GTB and Qavion like this.
  7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    emac likes this.
  8. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    It often needs a ton of torque to break loose. I find a breaker bar with a constantly but slowly increasing pressure (no sharp impacts) gets the job done. A weak tool can bend. I think the rubber seal forms a pretty sticky bond with the engine over time.

9. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    If the seal is dry it can create a lovely tight seal!!!

nor changed the oil myself on my 348 or 355 but surprised at those settings. I change the filter on all my other engines and just do it up hand tight!

I find one of these generally works for stubborn filters. Or a rope and a big bar! Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
  11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I had used the filter wrench, the plier device, and the chain wrench on 308/328/348/355 at some point in time.

12. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
  13. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Use some old seat belt material wrapped around the filter and a small peice of square tube that your 1/2ratchet fits into. Put the strap down low on the filter. Wind the seatbelt material in a fashion so it sits against the filter in the anti clockwise position. It will undo

14. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    This happened to me once on a non Ferrari many, many years ago. I took a nail set and a hammer, punched a hole into the top of the filter, it equalized the air pressure and then I was able to unscrew the filter with a strap wrench without much torque. I presumed that when the oil cooled and condensed, it created a vacuum effect on the filter.

Do not use a drill, just a nail set or punch, and one solid hit. I was upside down (under the car on my back) so the force I had to use wasn't like swinging a sledge hammer.

15. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  17. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi everyone.
    thanks for all the replies.

I finally got the filter off, with the original tool and with a breaker bar with estimated 200Nm. The tool survived, with little margin though...

Best regards

Qavion likes this.
  18. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    Good to hear you got it off safely.....in your rear view mirror.......congrats

19. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mine was so tight that I had to make a tool. PVC pipe with 2 large holes to fit a breaker bar in it. Then I drilled 4-1/4” screws all the way through the PVC and filter. It worked. The rubber seal was stuck to the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat