An informal weekly meet in Malibu with no sponsor | Page 2 | FerrariChat

An informal weekly meet in Malibu with no sponsor

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by bitzman, Jun 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I never heard of this podcast run by a guy named Spike. He is very entertaining, heavy on Porsches but talks about events and cars he's driven lately. In this episode he takes up about one third of the 54 minutes talking about the impromptu Malibu show

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/spikes-car-radio

3. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I was there last Sunday.

I nearly got nabbed by the cops on the way there off Malibu Canyon Rd up on Mullholland HWY. I came around a corner moving quite hard and there was a motorcycle Copper booking another car.

They also booked another Ferrari owner on PCH for doing a fairly calm over the limit speed.

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Cars 'N Coffee Prevails at Malibu Village at Cross Creek and PCH
    ,,,despite fires, a pandemic and, oh, just to shake things up, an earthquake a few days before

It's still the same event going on each Sunday , probably started a few months ago but I didn't start attending regularly until ten weeks ago. I recommend it if you are near Los Angeles.
    It takes place at a shopping area called Malibu Village which is where Cross Creek runs out to Highway 1, (AKA Pacific Coast Highway.)
    I make it a point to arrive at way too early, when the first cars don't roll in 'til 8 a.m. but I am hoping to catch the first cars on film just as the sun climbs over the mountain. It's the best of LA, the mountains and cooling ocean fog. The sea is but 500 ft. away though you can't see it from the event.
    As far as types of cars--since there is no organizer, you see everything. In Eye-talians Lancia, Lamborghini, Lancia, Maserati, Ferrari, Iso Grifo, DeTomaso.
    In British there's Rolls Royces and Bentley followed by MGA, Jaguar, Triumph, and lately Aston Martins. In British supercars McLaren attendance grows weekly. (You would never fuss they have to sell their HQ to keep going)
    American musclecars but not many , a Shelby Mustang or two and always three or four Cobras though the replicas are getting so realistic it's hard to tell if it's one of Carroll's toys. And occasionally the oddball American luxury car like a '58 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham.
    German cars--Porsche heaven, mostly late model 911 models but even some of those mid-engine supercars.
    Japanese cars (aka "rice rockets") appear just occasionally, usually in an expensive model like an LX500 further customized to the tune of $20,000 to $50,000.

Nobody is selling anything except the adjoining restaurants (one of which set up in the parking lot with 20 tables and umbrellas) and Starbucks around the corner.
    The City, which formerly granted permits to organizers of small car shows, is holding back on permits, yet this impromptu show continues because they can't bar cars from entering the lot because they never know if you are entering the lot to be a patron of one of the three food outlets like Marmalade..

So many people in so many interesting cars. Jay Leno in a prewar Bentley, Bruce Meyer of the Petersen Museum in a Porsche (or swb 250GT LeMans racer and dozens more), a guy with a Cizeta Moroder, an exotic intended to hurt Ferrari,, dozens of 911 cars plus some old 356s. Among those has been the appearance of a Zagato Porsche 356 built recently on an old chassis, to commemorate a spyder Zagato built decades ago for a LeMans racer.
    The event winds down around 10:30. Fair warning. I wouldn't drive too far in case there's some way the city finds to shut it down and since there's no organizer per se, there's no website you can go to in order to see if it's still happening.

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    UPDATE ON MALIBU VILLAGE:
    Is it still happening? Yessir, yessir, three bags full, each Sunday. Well, got there late at 10 a.m. on October 4th but the lot was jammed. Most people wearing masks. It was worth going, I saw my first Koenigsegg for the first time, parked right next to a McLaren Senna, The Swedish car had a cheap interior compared to the glitz of Pagani. Orange Lambo Miura, very well restored. An Alvis drophead coupe, looks like Bentley S1 in front. And the second Panoz in two weeks–that’s a front engined two seater car invented by a pharmacist who thought up some drug that sold by the millions. Well built car but not a trend setter.

No sign of gendarmes but damn hard to find a place to park by 10 a.m.. Since it’s a non-sponsored non-organized show you still take your chances going there, the City fathers might yet find a way to block the lot (and lose that outdoor restaurant all their customers)

ScottJon likes this.
  6. ScottJon

ScottJon Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Hollywood. Ca. USA
    Full Name:
    Scott Leibow

We got there before 8:00 AM so we had great parking spots and watched the crows grow. There was a huge turnout yesterday

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mmckee likes this.
  7. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    What a coincidence that so many of these snazzy cars come from Montana!

Jpav likes this.
  8. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Giddy Up .......

9. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Silver Roma (with a duo of Italian spokespeople) was spied at the Cross Creek cars 'n coffee in Malibu (in Malibu Village shopping center lot) last Sunday, parked a few feet from the Aston Martin SUV. Usually lately there's at least one start-up automaker's electric car among the 75 or so cars but now Ferrari's discovered Malibu is where the money is....

/**********.com/2020/11/at-last-the-ferrari-roma-in-person.html