458 - Need help identifying Wheels Thx | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Need help identifying Wheels Thx

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jedijingle, Sep 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Whan

Whan Rookie

Sep 4, 2020
    Marin, CA
    Full Name:
    Will
    Oh I have no doubt that there's a performance deficit to bigger / heavier wheels. Though note that the wheels themselves are actually 3lb and 5lb heavier respectively for each front (23lb OEM forged) / rear (25lb OEM forged) wheel. The rest of the weight is actually from a wider tire which is arguably a tradeoff of weight vs. grip advantage.

I do doubt that it has that huge of an impact where 10lb = 0.5 seconds difference in 0-60, particularly given 0-60 is often grip limited and not power limited. The physics math specifically comes out to an equivalent 2x body weight. Some guy on youtube did an actual test on a z06, and found a 39lb saving resulted in a 0.16 second decrease (~3% faster) in 40-100mph. With a C7 Z06 weighing approximately 3,500lbs curb weight, a 3% decrease in weight = ~105lbs, which is 2.6x the 39lb wheel weight savings. So safe to say it's approximately 2-3x body weight to wheel weight equivalent.

With tires and wheels combined, I'm 30lbs total heaver in rotating mass, which is 78lbs of body weight assuming a 2.6x multiplier. Not ideal, but also in the margins of having a full tank vs. a half empty fuel tank. For track days / those really looking to get the last bit of time improvement, I'm sure this matters. But for me more as a canyon carver driving within the safety margins at 7/10ths, not that concerned

Link to youtube test

Chadly likes this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It kind of depends where on the wheel you add it. But with these large wheels rule of thumb is.
    1 lb. added by the tyres equates 8 lbs or more added to the car. Weight added to the rim barrel equates 6 lbs. for 1 lb.
    Weight added to spokes or brake rotors is about 4 lbs and hub/bolts is about 1.5/2.

Adding weight to wheels is something that can be felt. It is both unsprung and rotating mass. It changes ride comfort, handling, accelleration and breaking performance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The performance tradeoff is not that simple. These cars already have significant understeer from the factory. When you significantly increase tyre width in the rear, you also increase that understeer. You remove the cars ability to rotate. If you want fast, you need to go about it differently. If you like the look of the big wheels and that is the most important thing for you, then that is the best reason for doing this. If going fast on the street using street tyres is what you want, get HRE R101 Lightweight wheels and fit them with the Lusso MPS4S set. That will make you fast. Wanna be faster? Take those tyres off and fit Trofeo R with stock sized rears and 245/35r20 fronts. That will turn the car into a bit of a weapon.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app