SSC Tuatara | Page 5 | FerrariChat

SSC Tuatara

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Feb 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moikkavaan

moikkavaan Rookie

Aug 8, 2004
    I got the impression this APEX track-rental car thing is his side-hobby and he makes his real money from real-estate development. If there is one person in this saga that has zero financial interest into any direction or whether he makes any videos or gets some pennies or not about it, it is Robert. His youtube channel is all about explaning interesting inside knowledge about race- and track driving that he is passionate about. In this way it is pretty ridiculous that he is the one that gets personally attacked for basically no reason at all rather than standing on the side of reason.

2. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    I agree. Robert makes videos for fun, not for money.

NürScud likes this.
  3. TopspeedPT

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    Julian Thomas - Managing Director and founder of Racelogic(VBOX, etc)

CK7684, Igor Ound and LVP488 like this.
  4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    223mph? What clowns!

5. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I know the Robert personally. He is one of the true car enthusiast and does not need a profit from YouTube etc. He is very humble person.

Igor Ound likes this.
  6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    So where is Bugatti in this fight? Have they run their 500 km/h yet?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Or is this just more vapor-ware? :cool:

edit: probably on the back burner now, given the flux @ VW/Porsche/Rimac.....

8. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Fresh update.

BJK likes this.
  9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #109 BJK, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    Jump to 16:00 mark to hear overheating issues explained very clearly
    I think this is most likely exactly what happened on the first attempt. Overheated. Can this car do over 300mph? On paper, yes. Real world with heat issues retarding timing/boost and horsepower? NO
    As Robert said, it may get to 280+, but 300 is looking iffy. Perhaps a much colder location would help. Still an awesome car. :)

ForzaV12 and Thecadster like this.
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Could not sit through half an hour of a guy sitting in a chair. Was there any actual video of the car doing a full run attempt?

11. TopspeedPT

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal

Shmee/Robert:

Misha/Robert:

BJK likes this.
  12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #112 BJK, Jan 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Record run, but a little disappointing. Two-way average speed of 282.9 mph. yay, but long way from 300+ that was alleged previously. (sorry, but expectations were higher)
    If the top speed doesn't start with a '3', who cares?
    That being said, the car was still accelerating. They ran out of room, so who knows what it is capable of. still o_O . They know they need a longer road, so why did they bother on this shorter runway? Leaving 1 mile to slow down is 'safe' but probably unnecessary. Another half mile would get them into the 290's. (but still not the goal)

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. LarryC

LarryC Karting

Jun 5, 2013
    Saint Petersburg

I understand the disappointment based on the prior claims and questions, and I was in your camp. That is why I put myself in the seat. Having driven the runs, I believe that we have sufficient room at the Space Shuttle Landing Facility to break 300mph. We were testing to get the car set up for this type of run and broke the record. It wasn't meant to be a big "announcement."

Regarding the facility, it is so much harder on the car and car control in this type of location. Slowly building to 200mph over several miles does not increase intake, exhaust gas, oil, and water temps like running all out from the launch. The difference is that in the slow climb you are not dealing with any heat at 200mph when you put full power in, vs already having increased heat at 200mph in the "drag race" style of launch and still pulling for more. As you know, dissipation of heat is critical to power. That is why the testing and tune are being managed in increments.

Here is some in-car video.

tritone, ForzaV12, alan and 3 others like this.
  14. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Congratulations on a great run Larry!

tritone and BJK like this.
  15. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
  16. alan

alan Formula 3

Apr 17, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Hi Larry, fascinating to hear the story direct from the horses mouth so to speak. May I ask considering the higher strain on the car heat wise etc as you describe at the NASA facility. Are there any plans to do a run on a longer stretch of road such as the Nevada site. As wouldnt this allow for an all out full speed run. With no track limitations, less stress on the car and would also put a stop to those who are questioning why SSC won't try that again ? Thanks and regards Alan.

17. LarryC

LarryC Karting

Jun 5, 2013
    Saint Petersburg

Alan,
    IMO that Nevada road is too dangerous. It has a crown and is prone to cross winds that can move the car. It is smarter to push the car instead of taking unnecessary risk.

18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If they spent a little more time making cars to be sold and less time promoting a car that doesn't exist things like this wouldn't happen.

Just sayin'.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  20. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    PaganiHuyara likes this.
  21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    These guys make more "variant proposals" than cars.

Just sayin'...

Boomhauer likes this.
  22. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I can understand the 2,200 hp rating in the article but the kilo-watt stuff is meaningless. Maybe try million electron-volts next or some ratio of gravitational force. Just as relevant to enthusiasts.

24. TopspeedPT

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    Jonathan19 and BJK like this.