Verify IF a euro car? | FerrariChat

Verify IF a euro car?

Discussion in '308/328' started by ken qv, Oct 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    And who knows Tim Sanford in FL in regards to maintenance?

2. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    VIN has 0000 so it’s a Euro car.

Albert-LP likes this.
  3. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Fantastic.. thank you for that! I would love to know your opinions on it Chris since you are in the business. (limited by just an ad)

4. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hi Ken,

Not in the business, but just based on the limited photos, there are a number or incorrect details. My guess is it’s a driver level car at best but better photos and an in person inspection are warranted.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He's very good but as his name is used in the Ad maybe he would discuss in a call.
    IF he says "it's Euro" that's enough....I looked quickly it appears to be..

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  7. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Looks like a Euro car. A couple of items that I noticed ( looking at it on my phone) incorrect front bumper & marker lights. Car has probably been repainted. Paint stripped from intake. Incorrect spare. I would inspect very carefully if the car had been wrecked in the front.

8. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    51109 is definitely a 1984 - my car is 52703, produced in the last week of 1984 production in June 1984.

The bumpers are US-spec, probably installed when brought in as a grey market import - also the front side markers are US-spec, but no rear side markers.

As for "Carfax doesn't have data for European cars" - not while they were in Europe, but it should have for the period when 51109 has been in the US. It would be worthwhile to run a Carfax on this if interested in buying.

miketuason likes this.
  9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The VIN, and the tell-tales as listed by "Miketuason" above do not lie, it is an euro car; BUT I would check some items, AND the exhaust line as well: as an european, I am puzzled by the small label "unleaded fuel only" on the dashboard.
    This label is usually only used for cars with a catalytic converter; as everyone should know, the whole family of "Euro" 3x8s (carbed, injected two-valves, injected four-valve and 328s) do NOT have catalytic converters, and therefore no label "unleaded fuel only" (or its equivalent in any european langage).
    Why does this one have that? Is it just a fancy of the owner, or has any form of emission device being added when the car has been imported in the US?

Rgds

10. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    My understanding is that it would have HAD to have a cat and other related emissions controls installed to legally import/register it in the USA. I would assume that the "unleaded fuel only" sticker would have been "installed" at the same time.

Albert-LP and ken qv like this.
  11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    My understanding also, Mike. So it would be wise to check how it has been done.

Rgds

12. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    And how it has been (mostly?) undone...

13. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Thanks to everyone for helping out... a friend that’s interested plans to call the tech and see what else we can find out. If anyone comes up with anything else then please share. I’m big on PPIs so that will help I’m sure.

14. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Yeah, that may be more important! ;)

15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    A MPH speedometer could have been changed from the KPH one the car would have been fitted with. As such don't trust the odometer as to the true mileage unless the car is well documented.

16. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes this Euro car has definitely been Federalized and some are federalized differently that the others.

17. FLVICE

FLVICE Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2006
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Tim Stanford has been my mechanic for My 1985 308QV Euro for 14 years. He keeps it running in top shape and condition. I recommend. I live literally 5 minutes from his shop
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Albert-LP likes this.
  18. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Please indulge me for some of the good ole days memories.

Importing cars back in the mid 80's and prior brings back a lot of memories. When you imported a car into the US that required federalization there were 2 basic hurdles plus a performance bond guarantying the work would be performed. The DOT work included things like marker lights, head lights, bumpers, door side impingement braces, speedometers, seat belt buzzers, door stickers with importers name etc. As I recall these items were usually verified by photos and of course a lot of photos were forged and things slipped thru. No two Euro cars are really alike :) You would supply your documentation to the DOT, and if everything looked proper you would receive your DOT release form. .
    Additionally, you needed the emissions compliance certification from the EPA. Imports were usually sent to a certified emission center that would convert the car to meet US or California emissions and tested. With this certification you could get your EPA release form. Many of the mods were terrible. Usually lasting long enough to pass the test but not goods in the long term. Exhaust system were often hacked with cat converters added and other poorly implemented items such as air pumps etc. Not all conversions were bad, but a lot were. After the cars emission test was certified you would receive a form you could send to the EPA for the EPA release.
    Two forms were required by the government EPA and DOT for an imported car to be legal and allowed the bond to be released.
    There were stories of cars that didn't get all the work done and the owners were forced to re-export them or in some case the car was seized by the government.

Back in the 80's and 90's the main thing you wanted before buying a Euro car was the release paperwork. Cars over 25 years old are exempt now. There were lots of Mercedes, Porches and Ferrari's imported then because the exchange rate was so favorable. They were for sale everywhere.

So for all of you Euro car owners. Do you have the EPA and DOT release forms? I still have mine.

19. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    So glad to hear he is a great mechanic. I hope he has many good/honest things to say about this particular car.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I knew him by reputation only (good things) I am glad a customer of his has joined in here!!

21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    your euro QV still has the Italian plate!

How is it possible?

ciao

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Probably because most States in the U.S do not ask for a front ID plate, unlike we do in the Continental Europe. I understand that the only registration plate that is mandatory in most of the US States is only the rear one. At the front of the car, you don't need a plate, so perhaps they let you do whatever you want?
    I would like to be able to have an italian plate on my cars, believe me...especially one with "MO - xxxxx".

Rgds

23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    When you export a car from Italy, you have to give back the plates. That front one looks original and not a repro.

24. FLVICE

FLVICE Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2006
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Ha ... yes.. Italian (Roma) both front and back matching plates. I place the regular tag mounted to the rear glass with suction cups and take it off or on for driving and / or shows. Never been stopped by the Police

Attached Files:

Albert-LP likes this.