355 - why was this thread closed? | FerrariChat

355 why was this thread closed?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ttforcefed, Oct 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Looks like a whole bunch of threads were. They all had postings yesterday.

2. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Jack Dorsey take over Fchat?

willrace likes this.
  3. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Probably because those threads are a decade or more old and someone's telling us to talk about something new...

Robb likes this.
  4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Nothing has been deleted. People can post to current threads or start new threads anytime. Lot of groans when threads from the olden days are resurrected without real cause...

We will likely merge the threads.

posting the same photo to 10 different threads 6-16 years old is kind of spamming and gets old

Robb

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    groans about what? better than starting a new thread covering the same thing, we wld be much better off if people searched and used existing threads

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yeah I agree with that one. Seems there was a cause, if it made no sense then it probably makes as little sense as a new thread as well.

Attached Files:

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Might be a good idea to auto lock a thread if there are no new posts in xxx days or weeks or months.

I know sometimes I see a new post and open the thread hoping for something of interest only to find it's been resurrected form 5 years back and it some user is asking if the problem was ever solved. As for picture threads, the only picture I care about is sitting in my garage; best color, Swater's Blue/tan, best year, 95, best model, spider. :)

Should I post a picture? :D

(You have to humor us guys.)

Robb likes this.
  8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    No way. Anything that prevents duplicate thread creation is good.

tres55 likes this.
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    But that is exactly the problem here, duplicate very old threads being posted in after being inactive for a long period. Leaving threads open won't prevent duplication. As for technical threads, there are only a handful or less of people I listen to.

10. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Thats what FB is for

11. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I would prefer the mods spend some time crafting a more user friendly sticky section here.

The way it is structured now buries decades of really useful details. Has to be a better way.

But if merging some pictures somehow makes the place better....carry on I guess.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Stickies wld be stellar

13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    It's good to know long after I'm dead, some future 355 owner in the year 2100 can still revive/respond to one of my old pics :)

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    100 percent

15. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I'm fine with stickies but generally that is where threads go to die according to many mods. We can try it on the mega photo thread. There is also a mega 355 photo thread in the detailing & showroom section. I do not think that would be an issue with such a heavily viewed thread with so many regular posts.

Like most of you who have been members here for such a long time, we have seen most all threads. It took me 6 months to view EVERY thread in the 348/355 section. It is a great read for people to go through them all. It's ideal to copy a link from an old thread and use when needing to help someone or share a before after... We do have an archive that automatically removes all the old classifieds after a while. People even try to comment on one of those threads 5-6 years after an item has long sold... And that's the archive...

So the request is to please enjoy the older threads but we don't really need to dig them up unless something critically new can be added. That saves the front page for the latest greatest and avoids some helpful new stuff from falling to page 2 where less people will see it.

Use the two great photo threads we already have in this section and the Detailing & Showroom section. We love our cars and also enjoy all the others as well. I encourage all of us to post updated photos and content often.

Robb

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Stickies work. We need them.

17. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Picture Thread Pinned to the top.

Please add great new photos of the cars we love often.

Robb

18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Robb. There's gotta be 10,000 threads on the 355 alone. I can't believe you did that. That's insane! Much respect for doing what no 355 owner has ever done.

Robb likes this.
  19. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    #20 WATSON, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    My exact point.

There are DIY details in the sticky thread buried and gone forever because the massive one click sticky is impossible to find.
    Just because you don't use them does not mean others don't.

I personally use Google search to find the DIY threads only because I remember they exist.
    Paging through the sticky thread is a dead end. Some people don't even know there is a full fledged DIY thread in here.

There has to be a better way to manage that.

So you put separate sticky for pictures but buried the valuable stuff?? Geezus.

jimmym and Robb like this.
  20. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    It did take 6 months of hitting the books. But it was GREAT time with all that history. I think all here would enjoy going back in time.

Robb

21. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I agree that google can be very fast at finding the exact thing you need on Ferrarichat (selecting "all content")... the only way to fly.

Robb

jimmym likes this.
  22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I did the same thing as Robb years ago then when I went back years later I found the crash of 2004 maybe. Can’t remember the year any more

winters are long in Canada sometimes ha

23. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    That's not the point Robb. ...and you know it.

Make the DIY sections of the 348/355 more visible and accessible.

The single most valuable asset of this section is dumped behind a curtain.

Meanwhile a photo thread gets top billing?

I am photographer as well, appreciate photos and like the sharing that is involved, but it has little do with keeping these cars running.

Not a fan of what is happening here. At all.....

24. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The photo thread is only top billing until someone posts in the master sticky thread (the other pinned thread).

I am happy to touch base on what the group needs pinned at the top but you won't see 5-10 pinned threads up there...

I can go through the master sticky (Which I thought was the DIY Sticky and see what should be updated in there no problem. Send me a pm on what you all would find helpful. I still have plans to add the parts diagrams in there.

Robb

jimmym likes this.