F355 Market | Page 165 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  2. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    I question the wisdom of cheaping out and not spending a couple hundred on at least a decent detailing. Taking high-res shots of an otherwise nice Ferrari with a dirty interior is a crying shame. Definitely does not help the final price. At least the services (though I think he's still being vague on the date) were done by a top-tier independent.

eyeman1234 likes this.
  3. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    F1 SML8R likes this.
  4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not sure what it is, but the color looks off, like its the wrong shade. Looks like a GM yellow.

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I questioned that maybe it was a repaint previously. NO black belt line.

jgriff likes this.
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Always with the details, good eyes!

7. zhani355

zhani355 Rookie

Dec 31, 2018
    Bellevue WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin J
    Can someone expand on the "no black belt line" comment and indicate what it exactly it is referring to? I'm in the market for a GTS but not a yellow one. This information might help me in the future. Thanks.

8. zhani355

zhani355 Rookie

Dec 31, 2018
    Bellevue WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin J
    Note the BaT listing does indicate "A paint correction was performed in 2020". Guessing this means a full re-spray but possibly not.

9. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    it is the black line that separates the lower and upper panels on the sides of the car. It is painted on, not tape. Here is a few pictures. First 2 pictures shows the black line correctly. Mind you, it looks like a shadow, but it’s not. The last pictures is taken from the BAT listing with the “No black line”. It can clearly show a missing “shadow” or “black line”
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

zhani355 likes this.
  10. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    These last 7-8 posts are so emblematic of how/why FChat can be so great. Love it!

11. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The black line is tape - at least on our 5.2 GTS.

May be paint on 2.7 cars

It is shown as part number 332100061 for the cars. I know because I bought some from Ferrari for our GTS.

see #4

enjoy

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Robb

Kokose7en likes this.
  12. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Sorry, let me correct myself. The “black line” is tape, not painted. The 98’ Giallo in BAT may still be original paint. Tape could have been removed during the paint correction. The car would still have to be inspected thoroughly. I agree, The car looks pretty rough. But watch this one go over $100k...

Ferrari part #332100061

Sorry for the confusion.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

zhani355 and Robb like this.
  13. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    No need to remove tape for paint correction. The only reason for the tape to be removed is because the car was painted and they failed to reinstall new tape lines.

14. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    It’s tape on all model years.

15. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Kevin,

Paint correction does not usually include Any actual painting or respray...

Robb

zhani355 and INTMD8 like this.
  16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Guess I stirred the paint pot pretty good. :)

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #4117 johnk..., Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Also missing the rubber flap for the gas filler. No big deal, but again something that would be removed during paint. Who knows?

Ferrarium likes this.
  18. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I noticed the fuel flap - you're totally right, definitely points toward a full repaint. Perhaps a really well done one at least?

19. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I'm on the road so can't look at my car but the drain in the fuel cap area on the bat car is painted yellow.

Also that fuel door is not aligned worth a ****.

Anyone care to check theirs to see if it's painted body color??

Attached Files:

20. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    It's possible it was cracking/flaking and they removed it and never reinstalled it.

If the car was a full repaint I can't imagine they would get the rear bumper black insert portion right but not the belt line.

It's possible when the top was painted they blended the car down from there to match.

All just theories though...either way something is amiss.

21. Doramon0720

Doramon0720 Karting

Jan 17, 2015
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Steven
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-porsche-911-carrera-s-3-6-15/

The market is crazy for the 993. This has 81K miles and went for 87K + BoT fee and 28K of these were made (6 SPD and Tiptronics). The F355 market is plaque by all of the sensationalism of YouTubers and Bloggers that blows up a few problematic (maybe also ones without TLC) examples and discredited majority of good cars out there. Any exotic cars from the 80's and 90's without proper maintenance is going to cost you big time and it is not specifically to F cars. If a 81K miles 993 cost 87K, I will take a 31K miles gated F355 without a doubt. I hope one day people can see through that!!!

22. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I don’t think anyone knows that this car has had paint work or not. So I wouldn’t go overboard with any definitive statements unless you have had a paint meter or an eyes on showing overspray or masked off areas.

The tape on the belt lines is not the strongest stuff over time. Our GTS has had the tape roughed up in some areas so that’s on my list to replace with the new stuff I ordered. This car may have had similar odd happenings. Not all owners are ocd to always keep the car like intended.

I think tracking down the previous photos of the car is great along with general observations. It’s a shame it doesn’t have records and wasn’t fully cleaned up prior to a sale.

Robb

23. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Question. Do all 355 GTS tops have that texture as shown on the picture above? A 348 owner (me) is curious. Thanks.

24. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Yes, they are textured. However, on my prior GTS, I had 2 tops, and I had one sanded down and repainted to match.

Robb and carnutdallas like this.