Advice on tires needed please | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Advice on tires needed please

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Adamas, Oct 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Outrun

Outrun Karting

Just to chip in....I know you’ve ordered the MP4S...

I took nearly new Pirelli off my car and replaced them with MP4S. When warm, the Pirelli is fine so in SoCal or whatever they are cool. Everywhere else needs to choose Michelin. It’s got to do with the warm up time and when it’s colder, say below 15, the Pirelli will take so long to warm and scare you when cold. I think you could actually get a better track time from warm Pirelli over Michelin but that’s not the driving that covers most miles.

Michelin - the only good choice.

2. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Over the years I have mainly used Michelin’s, Pirelli and Continentals (usually when Mich or Pirellis were not available). My experience is limited to street use. Generally the Michelin’s handled better and lasted longer and cost more. But we’re often harder to source than the other two brands. Still my first choice generally. The Pirelli’s handled well, had a little more comfortable ride but wore out sooner and usually cost less than Michelin’s. The Continental’s were always my third choice and usually for my DD. They didn’t handle as well, wore a bit better than Pirelli’s but not as good as Michelin’s, rode pretty well for DDriving, were the easiest to source and costs generally less than the other two brands.
    There is absolutely nothing scientific about my comments, purely my subjective opinion over many, many decades of driving all sorts of sports cars, GT cars, luxury cars. When I was driving cheep cars and had NO money, I always bought the cheapest tires and gave them no thought since I was driving a POS it didn’t much matter.

3. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
    I just ordered Michelin PS4S tires for the F12. I went with the 265/35ZR20 fronts as recommended here in this thread. I went with stock size 315/35ZR20 rears. $1,757 total for the fronts and rears. I will have them installed on Thursday and see how the car feels with these on them. The Pirelli's are original from 2014 so this should make quite a difference.

Alexcle and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
    I am curious if the 812 front tire size would work on the front of an F12? 275/35ZR20?

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You are in for a treat!

(Good question about the 812 front size- I could almost imagine it working- but I dont know)

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Woah! That should make for a properly interesting and nice experience:D Let us know how that turns out.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A few guys in my neck of the woods run them with TdF wheels and are very happy. Haven't heard anything about rubbing or the like. Could there be a small rub if you push really hard on a track or lower it a lot? Yes, but that is also the case for the 812 and TdF. The tires will fit on OE F12 rims. That size fits rims from 9" to 11" wide.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. hergiswilreid

hergiswilreid Rookie

Aug 21, 2011
    I recently changed tyres on my F12 from K spec PZeros to the 812 (K) spec MPS4S. Ferrari (UK) dealer wouldn't do the change, so I used a local firm, that handles F cars, Porsches and so forth. The guy who owns the company did the change himself and said he didn't see any problems with the fitment or potential problems with rubbing etc. The actual difference in size on the front between Pzero and MPS4S was not noticeable to my eye, even knowing it was there. The handling of the F12 was transformed by the change - both in the dry and especially in the wet, where the Pzeros were close to useless. Completely changed my confidence with the F12. If you can make the change, I highly recommend it.

Caeruleus11 and Outrun like this.
  9. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
    Thank you Michelin. These tire transform the car. Even highway driving is noticeably smoother. Only got a few miles on them so far. I think I just wore off the mold release compound. Haven't put them to a hard cornering test yet until I get a few more miles on them. I love the way the car drives and handles so far. Very happy with my choice.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. jr-f12-15

jr-f12-15 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2020
    Tomball, TX
    Full Name:
    John Refalo
    You will really like the PS4S, excellent on road and track.

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think many would be very grateful if you guys would post a side profile picture of your cars. That would give people an idea of how each size looks.

Regarding fitting 275/35R20 on 9.5"x20 fronts. Not a problem. Michelin recommends a rim width from 9" to 11".

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    F12finally likes this.
  15. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano

Here’s a great video discussing the PS4S tire.

F12finally likes this.