MLB 2020 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

MLB 2020

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TheMayor, Mar 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    And sure enough he gives up 2 runs and only gets 1 out (flyout) before getting pulled. What a joke of decision making...dude has sucked all postseason and has a horrific ERA to prove it. He should be pitching for the homerun derby with how many easy hits he gives...geez. It will take a miracle for Rays to pull this out.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  3. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    I know, I know, shortened season, almost no crowds (except for 11,000 Dodger fans who traveled to be there for the Series), what a mess. I know people hate the Dodgers, too. In this crazy year, though, no one else could have won it. Karma decided the Dodgers would get even for the Astros cheating them, and the Red Sox also pulling the rug out from under them. Roberts has made plenty of bad decisions over the years, but some of the players truly deserve to get this win. Kershaw finally has the monkey off his back, and he's a really good guy who deserves to enjoy the win. Yu Darvish, who suffered the most from the cheating, should also get a ring - he was so scorned after the mystery collapses in 2017 that he decided not to re-sign with the Dodgers out of fear that he'd endure abuse for years. Justin Turner is a great teammate, and would have been comfortable on any of those brawling teams in the 50s and 60s.

I started to feel like a Cubs fan before they finally won it all; I thought I'd never see them win it again in my lifetime, especially after the last few years, and most especially after Game 4 when they looked like clowns in that last inning loss. The Dodgers winning plus a couple bucks gets me a cup of coffee at Starbucks, but it reaches back to my childhood when my Dad and I would sit in front of the TV for hours arguing about the game (he, sadly, was a Giants fan, something I could never understand). Then timelessness of baseball allows these old memories to bubble up now and again, so I'm thankful this game gave me one of the better ones.

4. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I hope this isn't referred to as the "asterisk season". Everybody played in the same conditions, more or less. My Nats, defending champions couldn't adapt. The LA Dodgers adapted perfectly and deserve the championship 100%. Congrats to them.

ebobh15 likes this.
  5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    While I have no love for the Dodgers, I suppose that after 32 years they deserved to win eventually.

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I view this season a bittersweet. The real test of a great BB team is surviving the long season. It clear from the records that the Dodgers and Tampa were the two best teams in both leagues.

But it doesn't feel right and its just a complete pity they couldn't play in Dodgers Stadium.

On the other hand -- Vince Scully got to see another Dodger world championship -- and I'm very happy about that.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Today on Atlanta radio they were reminiscing about the Braves' only World Series win in Atlanta, which was won on this date 25 years ago.....

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It just goes to show how difficult it is to win the World Series.

9. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    The Senior League:

Chicago White Sox name Tony LaRussa, 76, as their new manager.

10. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I was a little shocked by this decision. My ONLY thought is maybe "old school" managing is coming back?

11. Jaydubs

Jaydubs Rookie

Oct 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jon Wilkinson
    I think Vin Scully getting to see another WS victory for them is the only bright spot in this whole mess. Can't deny they were a good team though. Picking up Betts and backing up the Brinks truck for him looks like it was a pretty good move.

TheMayor likes this.
  12. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Agree re Vin. Got to meet him once, perhaps the most gentle and warm hearted soul I've encountered. He recently auctioned off some of his personal memorabilia, including a couple WS rings, so he and everyone else know the end is near. Re the Dodgers, karma equaled things for getting the royal ramus from the Astros in 2017. I hope they give Yu Darvish a ring, too. He pretty much got driven out of town on a rail, choosing to leave instead of being called "Yu Garbage" incessantly.

13. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Cheating is widespread in the league. Astros are not the only team who cheated. League was only too happy to sweep everything under the rug.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sad news. Hank Aaron passes away @ 86. RIP.
    https://www.mlb.com/

Per my Dad, the best hitter he ever saw.

Remember a story told by Mets great Tom Seaver. Before a game when he was starting out, they would go over the different batters with the catcher & how they would pitch each. When they came to Aaron, catcher said "Next!". Fantastic plate coverage, bat speed par excellence, and by all reports a heck of a guy...T

15. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I read one of his books. Great ballplayer. RIP

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    RIP

I think he was a pretty big car guy...owned quite a number of high end car dealerships in Atlanta before selling them off. My friend bought his BMW M3 new in 2005 from Hank Aaron BMW and it came with an autographed baseball from him, which apparently all cars sold did...what a cool guy.

tomc likes this.
  17. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    “I had the Giants’ contract in my hand,” Aaron is quoted as saying, “but the Braves offered $50 a month more. That’s the only thing that kept Willie Mays and me from being teammates -- $50.”

Adjusted for inflation, $50 per month in 1952 is roughly the equivalent of $500 per month in 2021 -- chump change for a big league ballclub.