Looking for a rear 348 heat shield. Anyone? | FerrariChat

Looking for a rear 348 heat shield. Anyone?

Discussion in '348/355' started by tcannon, Jul 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    Hey guys, I am trying to find a used rear exhaust heat shield for my 348ts. This is the lower heat shield that fits up against the inside of the rear bumper. Has anyone some up with a DIY method for making your own heat shields? Thanks! Todd

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    99% sure I got one PM me your email address and I'll send you pics if I have it. It would be from a twin can model

3. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    #3 tcannon, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
    PM sent! Thanks man! :D

Mine is a twin can model. ;)

4. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    Hey FBB, I sent you a couple of PM's but they do not show up in my out box. So I am not sure if you got them or not. If not, please let me know. Thanks! Todd

Does anyone know if you should see your PM's in your outbox that you send to someone else? I am not talking about replying to one. I am talking about when you send a PM directly so someone. Thanks

5. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    Thanks for the email FBB! Hopefully, you have the rear heat shield. ;)

6. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    If Fatso doesnt, I know I still have a few sets on the shelf in the barn.

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I think Oz was making them in CF, IIRK.

8. 348holland

348holland Formula 3

Dec 11, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Don't drive without it, once saw some melted rear lights.

9. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    #9 tcannon, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey guys, thanks for the help! The shield I need is the lower one that runs down along the rear bumper. It is #60 in the diagram. Thanks again! Todd
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Todd, #60 is for early cars only, if your car is a '91, you have the bumper with heat-resistant backing, this part is not required and your car didn't come with that piece from the factory.

That part doesn't protect the taillights, #59 does that. #60 protected the bumper on early and Euro cars.

11. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    Thanks for the info!! I can now stop trying to hunt it down. :D This has bothered me for a long time. I have the two upper heat shields already. I just thought I was missing the third one. Thanks again!

12. reado10

reado10 Rookie

May 28, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sorry to hi-jack the thread, so as long as TCannon is sorted, i'm looking for the upper rear heatshield, number 59 in this diagram:

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/userImages/078/Large/078_014A.gif

If anybody has one and is willing to ship to the UK (at my risk), please let me know prices etc :)

Thanks

Paul

13. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have one, in mint condition. PM me with a fair offer if you're interested.
    I'll ship to the UK if you obviously cover the cost.

14. Bookum

Bookum Karting

Nov 3, 2010
    Chester County PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #14 Bookum, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My rear bumper heat shield is trashed (see pic). Is the quoted info above correct? Do I really not needed it? I have a Spider that obviously has a heat shield, but it also seems to have the heat resistant backing that is mentioned above. Ricambi does show a heat shield in the Spider diagram.

Can I just remove it and move on, or is that a bad idea? A new one is absurd expensive. If anyone has one they are willing to part with, please let me know.

Dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    When I had a problem like this on my 95 F355, I took a sheet of thin Aluminum bent in a flange attachment, gently rolled the sheet until it fit the same ontour as the original, and thn pop riveted some 900dF heat blanket (insulator) to the sheet and have been using it (just fine) for 8 years now.

ETA: This one cost me 2 hours of work (myself) and $35 in parts.

16. larrybgreen

larrybgreen Karting

Mar 16, 2012
    New south wales
    Hi guys, had same problem with my 1991 348ts it was trashed and even melted the cover over the rear tail light where the fibreglass had failed. Took heatshield to a local fibreglass boatbuilder who repaired the fibreglass and put a flowcoat of high temperature epoxy over the whole lot and repaired the melted tailight cover with epoxy, total cost $150. Worked quite well.
    regards Larry in Sydney Australia

17. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Can someone confirm that #60, the bumper shield, was replaced by reflective insulating material adhered to the inside of the bumper on later models? What year was the bumper shield eliminated? Mine is a 92 ts and appears to have reflective material on the bumper.

18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have a 90 and it has the reflective material. I assume the heat shield got lost with service or what not over time. The reflective material becomes unglued and frankly is inadequate. I found a used heat shield one and put it on so I have both, I have spider exhaust on the TS.

19. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I am swapping out the aftermarket exhaust that came on the car for an OEM single can. There is no bumper heat shield but I do have reflective stuff on the bumper. The aftermarket exhaust is WAY too close to touching the reflective insulating film. The paint on the bumper peeled and the reflective sheets are pretty beat up. I am getting the bumper painted and don't want it to happen again. I am thinking that the correct muffler at more than a mm of distance from fresh, high quality, reflective sheets should work.

20. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
  21. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
  22. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    When you say inadequate, what do you mean? Did you observe damage to the reflective material or damage to the bumper?

The more I think about wrapping the muffler, the more I don't like it. The heat has to go somewhere. It will conduct out to the pipes and it will come out through the exhaust itself as hotter air. Hot tips plus hot air exiting the tips could, itself do damage.

The reflective material I posted above looks exceptional. High temperature resistance of the adhesive and a thick fiberglass backing for insulation. That plus a properly located muffler should do the trick, I think.

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The only reason I bought the used shield is because I found one. It is easy to make these things and I would put in front of the muffler as well actually.
    Here is a 30 min heat shield/splash guard I built for my alternator, wraps around and behind, and a more professional fan shroud with PWM controllers.
    An exhaust should that mounts up top with the oem shields and extends down would be fairly easy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
  25. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    That is some pretty good sheet metal work. I don't think I could come up with stuff as nice as that.

Couple of questions. First, do you have a rough estimate of the distance between the single can muffler and the inside surface of the bumper? Are we talking 5mm? 10mm? 20mm? 50mm?

Second, why did you needed a better fan shroud and better controller?