so, the F1 relay, I need to ask a question | FerrariChat

so, the F1 relay, I need to ask a question

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Oct 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

so , if you apply 12v to prong 2 and 3, then 1 and 4 will be connected.

I want to install a small bulb so that each time the f1 pump runs, I'll know it because the bulb lights up.

now, question is, how do I connect the bulb?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    Any reason not to upgrade to the Scud Ing Swiss relay? It has monitoring lights integrated into it. It's a definite upgrade and it's plug and play.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    assuming its a bosch relay, google the model and see if it brings up a schematic.
    Otherwise get a battery charger Wires and connect to a pair until it clicks, that is the coil. The other pair are the inlet supply and out to the load

4. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    You stick one end of the bulb to the line that energizes with the pump. Then the other end of the bulb to chassis ground. You don't want to put it across the coil.

If using a LED make sure you use a resistor in series.

mwstewart and 24000rpm like this.
  5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I didn't get a reply from email and all chinese ips are blocked, too.

6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

so is that because the ampage is too big to install a led without a resistor?

7. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Without a resistor you will get only one blink out of the LED.

EastMemphis likes this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    This diagram shows pins 8 and 2 carrying the power to the pump (when the relay coil is powered). That corresponds to the 4 and 1 in your photo.

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Just wedge two small gauge wires into sockets 8 and 2 when you reinstall the relay. Attach the lamp to the ends of the wires.

NB: the grey wire going to the relay is hot battery power. Don't short it to anything.

24000rpm likes this.
  10. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    You want to connect LED+ to pin 8 and then LED- to chassis ground through a resistor. You don't want to try and bridge the relay with a bulb since it will act like a wire and try to power the pump and just burn out.

Qavion likes this.
  11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    In order for you to attach bulbs to the relay you will have to tap into F1 relay power wires.
    That means you will have to cut & splice wires, or solder wires for solid connection. Never use tap splices as those are pure crap.
    Ask me how I know.

You can try and wedge wires into the relay sockets but those contacts are really tight so i dont think that will work.

The best solution as mentioned is Scud Ing Swiss F1 solid state relay.
    If you need to get a hold of him let me know as I have his eMail address and I can contact him to reach out to you.

Dan

f355spider and Qavion like this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, correction :oops:... Sj_engr is correct. That is, put one wire on pin 8 (the red/black wire) and one wire to earth with the lamp attached to the wires. But as previously mentioned, this is not proving that power is getting to the pump, just that power is going through the relay as required.

24000rpm likes this.
  13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Do I still need a resister on serial with the lamp at pin 8? If so, how many Ohm should it be?

14. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What about using diagnostics to data log 'pump on'?

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Only if you're using an LED do you need a resistor. I've seen 550 ohms in series with LEDs in Ferrari switches, so this is probably a good starting point. You may see your local electronics hobby shop use the expression "550R" instead of using the ohms (omega) symbol.

16. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    I think the issue with that approach is that it will only display pump COMMANDED on. It won't show if the relay has become stuck, etc.

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

17. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My take on this: the relay is a cheap part (£5 or something from Eurospares). I keep one new one behind the trim panel in case of emergencies. I keep a diagnostics tablet in the car to check anything else like system pressure. The relay is cheap enough to be a service part every five years or so.

If there's an issue at the side of the road I can figure it out with diagnostics or swapping the relay.

If there's an issue at home I have a multimeter and more tools to hand.

f355spider likes this.
  18. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the purpose is to see the pump activation in real time. In connection with how the car behaves, I'll get an idea of what's wrong with the car, at least to eliminate pressure issues of the whole system.

f355spider likes this.
  19. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    You should be able to solder a thin wire to the top area (closest to the relay body) of the Relay post. Any 200-500 ohm value should be fine and actually depends on the color of your LED. You need high activation voltage for blue but I am sure you can find specifics on a webpage.

20. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I understand, but I would have thought that logging system pressure & pump on request, and then overlaying the data will give you exactly that.